2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer C...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

of  4
  RSS

TheUKDave
(@theukdave)

@egangsterprocessingunit Thanks for you guide.  I have followed it (and have pretty much the exact same setup), but I'm struggling. 

After having read the comments on this thread, I figured I might be suffering the same problem as @spark0. https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/help-cannot-get-2070-super-working-in-bootcamp-on-razer-core-x/

The thing is, I'm not planning to use an external monitor at all, I am only trying to use the eGPU for gaming on my VR headset.  For testing purposes only, I did plug an external monitor into the machine, and set it to 'show only on 2', and that seems to have at least proven that the card works.  

My VR is an Oculus Quest, and I can connect it either to the laptop directly, the USB-c on the GPU, or a USB 3 port on the enclosure (although for this, I'd need to buy a new cable to test it).  

Have I gone down the wrong road with this eGPU, or should this work?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
(@egangsterprocessingunit)
Eminent Member

Hey @theukdave,

I actually bought an egpu to get into vr gaming on my MacBook but the oculus headsets have been sold out everywhere for me. You haven’t gone down the wrong road at all. 

To answer your question, your vr headset should work perfectly fine as long has you plug the USB-C cable into the egpu and straight to the headset. Do not plug it into your MacBook as it may not work or possible may work but with significant performance decrease. 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
TheUKDave
(@theukdave)

Thanks for the reply @egangsterprocessingunit but at least one issue I have is that I simply can't get the apps to run, since the Oculus app says my drivers are out of date.

I can't set the VR to be the primary display, as many games require setup on a monitor first. 

Is it possible to get the internal screen to be accelerated by the eGPU? if so, then plugged the VR into the laptop (or the eGPU) feels like it shouldn't matter, right?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@theukdave

To be honest Dave I’m not too sure about how to solve this issue as I don’t have my own vr headset to troubleshoot. 

However, I think I have one solution but you may have to do more research on it. It requires a component called a ‘hdmi dummy’ which is essentially a cap that is put on a hdmi cable that comes out from your egpu that plugs into your MacBook using an adaptor. This dummy basically makes your egpu think that your plugging a cable into another monitor but actually your sending the same information to the internal screen. This will allow you to have an accelerated internal display and hopefully allow you to play vr games. 

Keep in mind I’m not 100% sure that this works as I can’t test it out myself right now. 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Welucas
(@welucas)

@egangsterprocessingunit,

Hey man,

i have the exactly same setup as you. Followed the steps, everything works as a charm.

2 things I couldn’t figure out how to do yet

1. How can i close my macbook and keep using it only with the external monitor running windows 10? 

2. My asus monitor as soon as it connected it wasn’t full screen, how can i adjust it and get the most of its config for warzone?

cheers 🤘🏼

ReplyQuote
toshinori
(@toshinori)

Posted by: @welucas

1. How can i close my macbook and keep using it only with the external monitor running windows 10? 

In your search bar in Windows, search for close lid. 

Go into these settings and even if they say “do nothing”, change them to something different and then chance them back to “do nothing”. 

Once that’s done, from your desktop right-click and check your display settings to make sure it’s setup right.

I have set mine to only have ‘Display 2’ showing, that way I force windows to not have anything shown on the MBP’s screen while the lid is closed.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) (9th,6C,H) + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004

ReplyQuote
Welucas
(@welucas)

@toshinori,

any of you guys play warzone and had low fps straight after the setup got installed?

mine is running at around 50-60fps withouot settings being o high. 

any tips i could try to get it going better?

cheers

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@welucas

Yep I'm getting low fps now especially in cities. There is no way to improve it as far as I know after reading many forum posts. It can be caused by a whole bunch of issues such as bad PC optimisation, cpu throttling and TB3 bottleneck.

ReplyQuote
Welucas
(@welucas)

@egangsterprocessingunit

lol i cant believe i spent all this money on a rtz 2070 to end up with that. But i’ve seen many others using razer x on mbp as well and getting great FPS, could it be nvidia/call of duty drivers related issues? 

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@welucas

I’m pretty sure it’s because Warzone is very cpu intensive. Also, because there is a bottleneck from the thunderbolt 3 cable, the amount of data the cpu can send to the egpu at one time is a lot less hence the lower FPS. 

ReplyQuote
 of  4