2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer C...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

RSS

adrienr
(@adrienr)

Hello everyone 🙂

System specs

• 2019 16" MacBook Pro w/ i7-9750H, 16GB RAM, 5300M 4GB, 512GB SSD (the default configuration)
  • dGPU: RP5300M 4 GB
  • iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.7
  • Windows 10 Pro 2004 (Build 19041.388)

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

Will come later 🙂

Installation steps

macOS

If I'm not wrong, so far there's no solution? (I was surprised, but from what I looked for, on one hand Apple stopped helping nVidia working since Mojave? And on another hand, nVidia stopped releasing CUDA drivers for macOS... correct me if I'm wrong).

Windows 10 2004

Plug & play!
After thorough searches, it seems you should use the nvidia drivers 431.60, not the latest. I confirm, there is a 2-5% difference in favor of the 431.60 drivers).

Just install the drivers. It might fail, you can always reboot.

There's 2 things worth mentioning:

• I always disable the Radeon 5300M when playing/benching.
  • I always re-enable the Radeon before rebooting Windows, otherwise the Geforce appears but is in warning state in Device manager. To solve that, simply eject the eGPU with RTX, enable the 5300M, and replug the eGPU. It works without rebooting.

Benchmarks all on External display

• 3dmark Vantage: 64700
  • 3dmark: 8938

Comments

• I'd be happy to make RTX works on macOS just to have the same external monitor setup on both OSes...
  • I'm now looking for improvements on performances:
    • Is there a better Thunderbolt3 than another on the mbp16? (I could that myself of course).
    • Are there better nVidia drivers than others? (I think I'm running latest, 431, gotta check that.) -> I answered that, 431.60 appears to be the best in performances.
    • Performance improvements on CPU as well? Regarding the air flow, is it worse when MBP is closed, are is it the same?
    • Gotta try to overclock the RTX for better benchs. nvidia inspector sounds good for that ^^ -> 1st attempt to overclock : 3Dmark wouldn't run (even though Windows doesn't crash. Weird...)

EDITS

• Updated Cuda to 64bits, 32 was only showing 4GB.
  • Corrected Windows build.
  • Removed title explanations.
  • Mentioned nvidia drivers worth using.
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Fabiano Arruda
(@fabiano_arruda)

Very nice! I have the same Macbook as yours, and I'm planing to build the exact same setup, just for gaming. Did you run some game benchmarks? I'm curious to see how much the 2070 Super can perform paired with this laptop, and if it's worth investing on that model, or just getting a cheaper Nvidia card.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote