Setup & Software Discussions
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet ...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [tsygna]  

RSS

tsygna
(@tsygna)

Pleased to report everything works now - running an Nvidia RTX 2080 super eGPU with bootcamp Windows 10 on my new 16" MBP. I have this setup because I want to play with Valve Index VR but I very much prefer Macs and MacOS. The new 16" MBPs handle graphics and most apps on the Mac side very well (except heavy gaming), so I only need a superior graphics solutions on the Windows side for VR.

It was pretty painless and straight-forward. It took me probably 10 hours or trouble-shooting, but that's because I am brand new to this and there isn't that much information regarding eGPUs with the new 16" MBPs yet. It went smoothly and should take you much less time. It didn't require any special third party drivers or specific versions of Windows 10. I used bootcamp to download the latest version of Windows 10, installed through bootcamp, ran auto-updates when Windows booted, and downloaded the latest graphics drivers directly from nVidia's website.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can try my best to help from my own experience.

Benchmarks photos:

Geekbench 5 2080 Super
3dMark Time Spy 1.0
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

16" MBP 2019: i7 6-cores, dGPU Radeon 5300M, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Gigabyte Nvidia 2080 Super enclosed in Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Nice setup! The images aren't showing up. Let me ask you, are you plugging the eGPU before booting or hot plugging after Windows is fully loaded?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
tsygna
(@tsygna)

@rycco

Photos are fixed now, see above.

I don't think it matters if plug in or turn on, but what has been working is that I activate (either turn on or plug in) after Windows is booted up and running. Windows recognizes it, activates the appropriate drivers etc and then it's good to go.

I just verified that what definitely works is to have the eGPU turned on but not plugged in, then once Windows is up and running plug it in. Windows will recognize the eGPU in the device manager but may not automatically activate it so you have to check. If it doesn't automatically activate it, you can just manually do it there in device manager and then should work fine.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@tsygna You have more than 5 posts now so you can attach photos directly to our forum.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
tsygna
(@tsygna)

@itsage

@rycco

Awesome, thanks! Yes I've attached the benchmark images above you should be able to see now.

Keep in mind when looking at the results, I have the very cheapest base 16" MPB model i7 6-cores with the 4GM Radeon Pro 5300M dGPU and 16GB RAM. I was originally planning on getting the base i9 8-core, upgrade the dGPU to the 8GB 5500M, and 32GB RAM, but I changed my mind when I saw the difference in computing power between desktop GPUs and decided to go this route instead.

ReplyQuote
Nathan Ramos
(@nathan_ramos)

I just got the 8-Core i9 version, 32GB Ram and 5500M 8GB. I tried the 5700XT on it but wasn't too satisfied with the results plus the Laptop's Fans were ramping up pretty high. 

With this setup, in Windows, can you say if the Laptop Fan speeds/sounds were high/loud?

Thanks

2019 MacBook Pro 13"
2018 MacBook Pro 15"+ Mantiz Venus (MZ-02) + Sapphire AMD 5700 XT
2019 MacBook Pro 16" + Razer Core X + nVidia RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
tsygna
(@tsygna)

@nathan_ramos

No the fans didn't turn on at all during any of the 3 tests above - the computer was totally silent and cool as well as the eGPU for that matter. But again remember since this is an Nvidia card I was running it only in Windows, not the MacOS side.

I am surprised as a 5700XT is very nice... what are your benchmark scores? Are you talking about Windows benchmarks or MacOS? As far as I understand from my limited knowledge and experience, Radeon GPUs give you the flexibility and additional value of being able to use the eGPU in both Window and MacOS, but Windows will generally produce better results and higher benchmark scores in general.

However as a test for fun, I did just download Battlefield V and ran the game with everything on ultrahigh settings with 3080 x 2160 resolution at 60Hz. I was getting 40 - 50 fps and the computer fans definitely kicked in hard-core and the eGPU still remained silent. I don't really notice or mind fan noise because I'll either have the speakers turned up or headphones on and won't hear it anyway. If I were going to play a lot of Battlefield V and similar games, in hindsight I think the 8-core i9 would actually be noticeable pragmatically better, but even with an 8-core i9 in a new 16" MBP, I think the 2080 ti would probably be overkill without better CPU cooling.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Nathan Ramos
(@nathan_ramos)

@tsygna

Posted by: @tsygna

what are your benchmark scores?

I didn't run the typical benchmark scores; what I ran was the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare since this was the main reason for my purchase. I was getting All the way up to 120 FPS but then it dropped/stopped screenplay in MultiPlayer mode down to 10 FPS. Seemed like it glitched which was probably due to the lack of updated drivers. I know the latest bootcampdrivers.com were released in Nov to help support the 5700 XT but didn't help much for this game. The Color and textures in this game were pretty bad.

Posted by: @tsygna

I think the 2080 ti would probably be overkill without better CPU cooling.

That's what my concern was. I would opt to bring this to LANs with friends instead of a console but I didn't want it to sound like I was flying a drone inside the house. The internal fans kick on faster with the gaming tests than with just a GPU test like most others have performed.

2019 MacBook Pro 13"
2018 MacBook Pro 15"+ Mantiz Venus (MZ-02) + Sapphire AMD 5700 XT
2019 MacBook Pro 16" + Razer Core X + nVidia RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote