2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [tsygna]  

of  2
  RSS

LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

Posted by: @tsygna

@rycco

Photos are fixed now, see above.

I don't think it matters if plug in or turn on, but what has been working is that I activate (either turn on or plug in) after Windows is booted up and running. Windows recognizes it, activates the appropriate drivers etc and then it's good to go.

I just verified that what definitely works is to have the eGPU turned on but not plugged in, then once Windows is up and running plug it in. Windows will recognize the eGPU in the device manager but may not automatically activate it so you have to check. If it doesn't automatically activate it, you can just manually do it there in device manager and then should work fine.

I currently struggling with a very similar setup with an RTX 2070 Super. What do you mean by turning the eGPU on but not having it plugged in? My Sonnet only turns on when it detects a signal on the tb3 port. Is yours different? What version of Windows are you running?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Zoltán Nagy
(@zoltan_nagy)

@lyptus, I clicked the Sonnet link in your signature, the first line in the description says it won't work with bootcamp:

• High-performance GPU card harvesters for computers with Thunderbolt 3 ports connects a supported GPU card to your eGFX compatible computer with Thunderbolt 3 ports (will not work if Boot Camp is running)

Is that nonsense? I'm growing tired of having to play everything in low quality because of my LG 5K2K (native res of 5120x2160) so I was looking into building a gaming machine, but an eGPU would be cheaper and make a lot more sense. This thread is grand, I was getting super excited, and then Amazon pooped the party, are they just misinformed, or is there some sort of magic one needs to conjure up to get this thing working? (I'd only really use it for gaming in Win10 Bootcamp, as the Radeon Pro 5500M has plenty of juice for my Mac OS use.)

MBP 16'' late 2019 :: Razer Core X Chroma :: Radeon RX 5700XT :: LG 5K2K

ReplyQuote
LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

@zoltan_nagy, The Sonnet works in Boot Camp without any issues. I have managed to get everything to work pretty well. That being said - I would rather have a gaming PC than this setup that I am running right now. The GPU is plenty powerful and works pretty well (even-though there is around a 20% performance drop with eGPUs). But the cpu cooling and therefore performance is just not enough for recent games. Warzone is a pain in the ass and so is Battlefield V. Getting only 45 fps in Warzone Downtown is just frustrating. Also, 1080p on a 5k display has a good chance of looking pretty bad. When I run 1080p on my HP Z32, it looks horribly blurry. The scaling just isn't done very well. 

Which MBP do you have and what kind of games were you looking to play? Also what EGPU?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Zoltán Nagy
(@zoltan_nagy)

@lyptus, I have a 16’’ late 2019 (bought it in March, core i9, 32GB RAM, 5500M) and I’m using half of the ssd for a Windows partition. I ended up getting a Chroma and a 5700xt. A little worried about the driver situation, as there’s a fair bit of moaning going on in reviews and I haven’t had to deal with Windows much in the last blissful decade... we’ll see what happens. Less worried about the cpu power to be honest, I’ve been monitoring the games I’m playing (Division 2, Hunter: CotW, ESO in Windows and Minecraft with Optifine in Mac OS) and cpu tends to be dead idle, never even reaches 40%. gpu ram shows almost maxed out and the 5700xt has 2GB less than the 5500m, albeit several times as fast. Everything is due to arrive today. Fingers crossed!!

ReplyQuote
Zoltán Nagy
(@zoltan_nagy)

@nathan_ramos, sorry to bother you bru, do you mind me asking how you got it working? I've read quite a few threads here, followed this tutorial to the letter, tried a few different Windows versions, two different boot methods, and can not get rid of the code 12 for the life of me. Any pointers would be immensely appreciated!

EDIT: Only in Windows am I having difficulties. In MacOS... well, it "just works", like in the old days.

This post was modified 8 hours ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2