2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gami...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

Grzegorz Łotysz
(@grzegorz_lotysz)

@itsage, hi. New to the site and I think it is great info. But to the point. Would you be so kind to say how warm and loud MacBook gets during gaming in Win10 on external monitor?

thanks 

Greg

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
coldfuser
(@coldfuser)

I have a similar setup and the same macbook pro. I haven't looked in detail on numbers, but the 16" never gets so hot that I noticed CPU throttling that impacted my gameplay.

16" is always hot when running windows 10 due to the dGPU having to be on 100% of the time. The heat is close to the display and most noticeable under the touch bar at the top. The fan improvements on the 16" make this heat tolerable to use the keyboard while gaming, but I use an external keyboard/mouse whenever gaming.

2019 Intel NUC10I7FNH [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@grzegorz_lotysz, I agree with @coldfuser that the 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro runs warmer in Windows. I observed the fan curve being more aggressive in macOS so the laptop is louder but overall cooler. With the eGPU connected, the dGPU doesn't get used much and the cooling system should be capable to handle the CPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Aaron Schultz
(@aaron_schultz)

@itsage, thanks for writing up this build. I am also looking to do a setup with a 16" Macbook Pro and Nvidia GPU and had a question I hoped you could answer.

You said that the peripherals plugged into the enclosure still work in macOS, and I am curious if you are still able to run an external display plugged into the eGPU in macOS even if you are not utilizing it for graphics. I suspect the answer is a no, but I couldn't seem to find the answer for certain.

If the answer is no, then I will have to find another dock/dongle to connect my second display in macOS. This isn't a big deal, but would probably mean that I would opt for a cheaper enclosure without extra usb ports.

Thanks for your help!

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@aaron_schultz, You are correct. There's no monitor output through the Gaming Box because the graphics card itself has no drivers in macOS to work.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

In the benchmarks what does "INT" "FHD" and "QHD" mean above the egpu results?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@pixxelpusher,

INT: 1080p to internal display (using an eGPU to power an internal display has a performance penalty but still has better performance in this test than QHD to external display)

FHD: Full HD (1080p) to external display connected to eGPU.

QHD:Quad HD (1440p) which is 4 times more pixels than regular HD (720p). Output to external display connected to eGPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

@joevt

Thanks! I didn't realize you could run the internal display with the eGPU, so didn't fully understand what the terms related to. Thanks for explaining.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@pixxelpusher, The internal display is still powered by the laptop's iGPU or dGPU. The eGPU does the rendering and drivers transfer the data to the iGPU or dGPU for display by the internal display.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  2