2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lzlz The only sure way to make those apps/games run off the eGPU is through an external monitor set to primary display. If you can use it in clamshell mode that would be even better. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@dion_martinez)

@itsage I followed the 5 steps you listed below and it successfully detects both my dGPU and eGPU (Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT) but keeps crashing whenever I run games like Overwatch and Escape from Tarkov. Any ideas of what's causing the issue?

EDIT: It crashes within 5 minutes of playing any game.

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dion_martinez I have seen many crash reports on the RX 5700/XT. It could be hardware related rather than the setup procedure. Try putting a load on the eGPU in macOS and see whether it would experience similar crash.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@dion_martinez)

@itsage

I've  been using this eGPU since December and haven't crashed on MacOS. I've also been using bootcamp with the November bootcamp drivers with no issues either.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dion_martinez That would indicate a drivers issue rather than hardware issue.

ReplyQuote
(@getliberatedson)

@itsage Is your bluetooth gone only when connected to egpu?

I’ve got code 10 in device manager “Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator”

Edit: yup there is no Bluetooth on your device manager. RIP

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
(@dion_martinez)

@itsage

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply! Any suggestions on how to get the full power of the eGPU? Not sure if I'm maximizing it's potential. Does it matter where you plug in the eGPU to in regards to the 4 thunderbolt ports?

ReplyQuote
nahtnam
(@nahtnam)

Hi,

Really sorry for this post, you were pretty clear in the OP but I just want to double check some things before I drop $600 on EGPU stuff:

- If I restart my computer from MacOS into Windows while the EGPU is plugged in, will it work? I'm pretty sure this is considered cold booting but ideally I want to be able to switch from MacOS to Windows without having to get up and unplug and replug stuff

- Can I cold boot into MacOS?

- Are the DDU/graphics stuff safe to do? Can I revert if something goes wrong?

Finally is there anything else I should know about this setup or is this basically an ideal EGPU setup?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nahtnam,  Cold-boot into macOS is natively supported and should work great. Cold-boot into Windows is possible with a few prerequisites. First you'd need Windows 10 1903 V1 (18362.30 to .295). Also necessary is an EFI boot loader such as the modified apple_set_os.efi v0.5 from @aa15032261. Last is the modified Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.

ReplyQuote
nahtnam
(@nahtnam)

@itsage,  Thank you! I'll go ahead and buy everything and come back here with my results

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  5