2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

nahtnam
(@nahtnam)

Hi, what color Radeon graphics drivers did you use? Red/Blue/Pro? Hope you can respond soon, thanks! I am also running a 5700XT eGPU with the upgraded 8gb GPU as the internal one. 

EDIT: Went with the one recommended for the 16"

Hmmm, so things are not going well... MacOS works perfectly however I am struggling to get windows to work, here are a few issues I noticed:

1. Even after patching the efi stuff, if I start the computer with the lid closed, it boots but does not output anything to the egpu (windows)

2. If I hot-plug in widnows, its very very slow

3. Once its all working (~2 minutes), if I close the lid it stops working

4. I have all my peripherals connected to the eGPU and they stutter a lot.

Are these problems solvable? One of the main reasons I wanted an egpu was to be able to game so I am hoping to get this to a working state. If not, it looks like I'll have to return it. Also let me know if I should create a separate post for this since its kind of long.

Thanks for your help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Filippo Claus
(@filippo_claus)

@itsage,  Hello, I finally got my new macbook pro 16" (i9 , 5500 8 GB) , so I tried to get my EGPU (razer core X with XFX 5700XT) working on windows 10, I was happy you got it working with my same specs.

I followed your steps:

Installed windows 10 1903 V1

run DDU to remove graphics drivers and disabled windows update

installed modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, adrenaline RED version

hot plugged my egpu and got error 12

everything in this order

i don't know where is the error :(( , I write here to search for some help, thank you very much.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ernest Carroll
(@ernest_carroll)

@filippo_claus, I have had a lot of success with this build thanks to @itsage!

I boot with Option pressed, select the Win10 bootcamp partition, and load to desktop. I give it about 10 secs to settle before I plugin my egpu. I'm using a PowerColor enclosure with a Gigabyte 5700 XT. I don't plugin my other TB stuff until I see my external display is working. Give it a good 15-30 seconds. Once that's good, I'll plugin my TB USB hub for mouse/keyboard and a 1TB SSD drive. It seems once the resources are properly allocated to the EGPU, everything else is good to go.

On the flip side, if I leave everything plugged in, turn on the machine, and boot into Win10, I cannot get the egpu to be detected in Win10 at all! A little annoying but now that I have a system that works, it's not that big of a deal. Hope I helped a little Smile

Macbook Pro 16" - 16GB - 1TB - 5500M
PowerColor Enclosure with a EVGA RTX2060 KO

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Filippo Claus
(@filippo_claus)

@ernest_carroll,  thank you very much! Everything helps, I'm new to egpu on windows  (mac OS was plug and play ) , I'll try to redo all, maybe I did some mistakes.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@filippo_claus,  Make sure you disable Windows Updates so that the OS Version remains at 18362.30 to .295. Any other versions would not work with AMD eGPU through hot-plug.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
briefcase0j
(@briefcase0j)

@filippo_claus, we had the exact same specs and the exact same problems.

Did you get it working?

Have you tried out 18326.295 now?,I’m now using 18362.30 as suggested, but I only get error 12, not even the external monitors lit up. 

@itsage, I have the same “everything “ as philippo and I’m pretty sure I did every step correctly. But still, error code 12. Any thoughts?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@briefcase0j, If you're on Win10 18362.30 then keep trying with DDU and modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. Run DDU to clean, restart. Hot-plug eGPU in Windows Desktop to install drivers then unplug before restart following installation. Hot-plug eGPU once Windows completes booting into Desktop.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
briefcase0j
(@briefcase0j)

@itsage, thanks for the help! I’m a bit confused about when to plug in the egpu. Do you mean that I should install the driver, restart, plug in egpu, wait for installation, unplug and restart, then plug in the egpu again?

I’ve tried several orders to finish the last steps, including training out different drivers(red and blue),  yet I’m getting disappointing results. 😭

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Filippo Claus
(@filippo_claus)

@briefcase0j, I have yet to find the time to try again, i don't know if i should reinstall bootcamp, i'll try again tomorrow with DDU.

Should I install the drivers after the hot plug of the EGPU? or before?

I bought the egpu AMD because it helps a lot on using the samsung ultrawide monitor CRG9 on the macbook at top resolution (in mac OS for work purpose) , but I would be so happy to be able to use it with windows too for gaming in the free time.

ReplyQuote
briefcase0j
(@briefcase0j)

@filippo_claus, I got it woking! Check out my new post.

ReplyQuote
 of  5