2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903  

of  3
  RSS

(@remaker)

System specs 

MacBook Pro 16" 2019 with RP5300M dGPU running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 with Bootcamp Windows 10 v1903

Razer Core X with  XFX Radeon™ RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra, 8GB GDDR6, 256-bit

LED IPS LG 27", 4K UHD, Display Port, FreeSync 27UL600-W via DisplayPort

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps:

Windows only as Mac is plug and play with no issues:

1. Download Windows 10 v1903 build 180362 & Install via Bootcamp assistant without internet (offline mode, no wifi setup). (You can find a download link for specific Windows version here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php )

2. Disable Windows Updates via services.msc by stoppping the Update Service (start -> run -> services.msc -> Windows update stop and disable)

2. Install bootcamp drivers and restart

3. Go online / configure wifi

4. Use latest version of DDU ( https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ ) to remove amd GPU drivers and disable windows driver updates and restart.

5. Download latest bootcampdrivers.com (red version) -> install and restart.

6. Follow just the installation process here https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/ (diferent proccess for running is described bellow once installation is done)

7. You're done.

How to start / use:

1. Start MacBook with all TB3 ports unplugged.

2. Boot into Windows by holding ALT and before selecting Windows boot insert the eGPU into the top left TB3 port and press enter.

3. Allow the boot sequence to proceed after pressing any key or waiting and when the windows loading screen is shown unplug the eGPU.

4. Log-in to Windows, wait about a minute and than plugin the eGPU. 

5. After about 10 seconds the external display works via the eGPU.

Benchmarks

Hopefully adding some benchmarks soon.

Comments 

I've managed to properly finish everything after about 12 hours or trail and error. 

Tried to work with 1909 version but failed to do so and almost quit and bought an Nvidia card but changed my mind and tried again due to the fact that I use the computer for work and ocasionally games and having a 4K monitor with the Macbook and dGPU will keep my mac continously hot and noisy without the  eGPU and obviously nvidia cards don't work with Mac.

Things work decent although I do get ocasional crashes mostly when configuring games , changing resolutions etc. This require restarts.

Performance is decent.

I've noticed that without msi afterburner my eGPU just get's hot as the card's fans don't seem to start on their own Smile This is strange but fixable via msi after burner.

Please note that while all gpu's work (eGPU, dGPU, iGPU), including the internal display I haven't done proper testing to see how everything behaves.

I'm mostly using bootcamp for ocasional gaming on my external display with the MacBook lid closed.

This setup is extremely recent. Just starting to test everything properly so I'll try to keep this topic updated.

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
stalegjelsten
(@stalegjelsten)

@remaker, Thank you so much Smile It worked flawlessly with the updated instructions.

Running a MBP16" with a RX Vega 56 in a Razer Core X eGPU enclosure. Both internal and external monitors are working.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@remaker)

Posted by: @stalegjelsten

Running a MBP16" with a RX Vega 56 in a Razer Core X eGPU enclosure. Both internal and external monitors are working.

Awesome! 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@j_rock)

@remaker, hi I followed your guide! Which drivers did you use from BCD.com

the egpu ones or just the regular (best for FPS gaming) one?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@remaker)

Posted by: @j_rock

hi I followed your guide! Which drivers did you use from BCD.com

@j_rock, I used RED gaming edition (best fps in games).

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

Hello everyone, I also acquired a 16 inch macbook pro + Razer Core X Chroma + asus strix vega 56.

I have followed most of the steps, but I have a first problem. Since there are two graphics cards in the macbook, after deleting the drivers with DDU (in safe mode), I find myself with a windows adapter card (without exclamation mark) and another with a dot exclamation. So, two windows adapter graphic. Basically it detects the two cards of the mac, but without driver. What to do ? I chose to uninstall and disable the one with the exclamation point in the device manager.

I then downloaded the Red FPS gaming drivers, and there when I do the installation (I suppose that you should not connect the eGPU - I never connect it since the beginning - because it is not marked anywhere), it reinstalls the 5300M graphics card being since it is the only AMD card connected on the Mac...

It therefore seems inconsistent to me not to connect the eGPU so that it detects at least one other AMD card.

What could I have done wrong?

I would like to be able to confirm that this configuration works.

Thanks for your help !

ReplyQuote
(@remaker)

Posted by: @wesker

I have followed most of the steps

My recommendation would be to try to follow the exact instructions before anything else.

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

@remaker, This is what I tried, but I find that some details are missing. Do you have to connect the eGPU just before installing the Red drivers? Otherwise, how does the installation of the drivers know which card to install? Thank you !

ReplyQuote
(@remaker)

Posted by: @wesker

This is what I tried, but I find that some details are missing. Do you have to connect the eGPU just before installing the Red drivers? Otherwise, how does the installation of the drivers know which card to install? Thank you !

You don't have to connect the eGPU before installing the drivers which is why the instructions don't mention that. The drivers package is compatible with multiple cards and will automatically load the proper driver version when you plugin the eGPU later.

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

Okay, thank you very much for your response. Right after uninstalling with DDU, you also have the same screen as me concerning the two cards present on the MacBook pro (sorry it's in French)?

This is in fact what I do not understand. Is it normal that after uninstalling the AMD drivers and installing the Red drivers, this reinstalls the 5300M card?

IMG 2802

ReplyQuote
 of  3