2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903  

of  3
  RSS

remaker
(@remaker)

Posted by: @wesker

This is in fact what I do not understand. Is it normal that after uninstalling the AMD drivers and installing the Red drivers, this reinstalls the 5300M card?

It's 100% normal. 5300M drivers for that are included in the Red Drivers. Once you have everything installed you should see 3 cards there (eGPU, dGPU, iGPU).

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

@remaker,

Ok great, here I have just finished the installation, and scrupulously respecting your way to start the computer, the eGPU was perfectly detected (otherwise I had a windows 43 error).

So I can say that it works perfectly with a razer Core X Chroma + Asus strix RX Vega 56 on 2019 MacBook Pro 16" (5300m).

So far, I haven't had any crashes, and I tested Call of Duty Warzone and everything worked perfectly.

One last question, in your device manager, are the 3 graphics cards all installed? The 5300 and vega 56 are ok, however the intel has an exclamation mark.

Thank you again for your availability!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
remaker
(@remaker)

One last question, in your device manager, are the 3 graphics cards all installed? The 5300 and vega 56 are ok, however the intel has an exclamation mark.

Same thing for me. Intel drivers are missing probably due to DDU. If you need to use the iGPU with Intel drivers (and not Windows fallback display drivers) you could manually install Intel drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126790/Intel-UHD-Graphics-630

hypothetically it shouldn't affect the eGPU but I haven't tested so fingers crossed 🙂

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

Just do a Geekbench

RX vega 56 on catalina for the GPU : 51500

RX vega 56 on windows 10 1903 and chroma x : 61800

Funny with this difference ! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
gkp by design Ltd
(@gkp_by_design_ltd)

I have done everything you said, it seems like it’s worked? Under device management I see my amd 5500 8gb internal GPU and egpu 5700 xt shows up with no issues. I only want to use it as an internal monitor as I have no external display yet. If I boot up Lumion or any app how do I tell it to prioritise the egpu? I have MacBook 16 inch on the 62.30 build. 

ReplyQuote
King Wang
(@king_wang)

Hey Man, I had the 5500m 8G + 5700XT with Core X and I also almost went out and get a new 2070 super as well but finally get it to work. Thanks a lot!

I used a DP to Type C cable to connect my mac with the monitor (2k 144hz from LG UL850) before doing all this. But now when I don't wanna connect my monitor through Core X since I was only trying to watch some Youtube in MacOS, my mac didn't react at all. I tested the cable and monitor with my MSI laptop and they work perfectly. 

Just wondering if that has anything to do with T2 chip security removal in step 6 or sth else during the whole process with the setting up Bootcamp environment. 

Do you have any idea what that could be? or could you also test if you had the same issue?

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

After trying for two weeks to play from time to time with a 16 " macbook pro + vega 56 + Razer Chrome X chroma, I am generally disappointed with the egpu. It gets very hot, it is noisy, and in addition I really the impression that it will wear out the macbook pro prematurely. My opinion is only based on Windows bootcamp.

Since I bought the razer on amazon for 429 €, I simply decided to send it back. I use the macbook for my job as a graphic designer, and I decided to buy a gaming pc at the lowest cost instead. Gigabyte B365M motherboard 75 € + Intel 9100F with fan 90 € + 16gb ram 2666mhz 75 € + case 25 € + power supply 600w 35 € + western digital 500gb high performance M2 3GB / S 95 €. It's a total of 400 €, but I end up with a fully functional computer to play. I will place the vega 56 in it and I will therefore separate the macbook pro from work and that for the game.

So in the end, for the price of the Razer case alone, you have a 9th generation computer with M2 hard drive and 16gb of ram!

If you, like me, are thinking of buying an egpu case just for playing, go straight ahead. There are huge losses of FPS, it is painful to have to do manipulations for the startup, sometimes it restarts without reason, or else I had direct X errors in the middle of warzone. In short it is very frustrating.

The only interest for me of an EGPU box is a performance in software on macosx, and in software on windows. But for the game, it's a bad calculation for me.

I had a hackintosh before which I used to work and also to play, and I didn't want to have to do all these manipulations anymore. This is the reason why I bought an official mac. But I notice that if I have to make manipulations in the other direction with the egpu, ie on bootcamp, that is not used for me for nothing.

For my part, the chroma goes back to amazon.

I also think that in the end, I will have two computers to resell rather than an eGPU case which will be much more difficult to resell.

Good continuation !

ReplyQuote
remaker
(@remaker)

After trying for two weeks to play from time to time with a 16 " macbook pro + vega 56 + Razer Chrome X chroma, I am generally disappointed with the egpu. It gets very hot, it is noisy, and in addition I really the impression that it will wear out the macbook pro prematurely. My opinion is only based on Windows bootcamp.

I feel your pain.

I haven't updated this thread due to being busy with other stuff but I actually migrated to a RTX 2070 Super and returned my RX5700 due to too many performance issues while gaming not to mention the usual dance when booting up into bootcamp.

Honestly with the Nvidia card it's a totally different experience and performance is great although still with some minor issues when booting up (doesn't bootup with egpu connected so I have to insert the egpu once windows is running - but that's about it).  

This video is actually recorded on my setup with the RTX 2070 Super:

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

@remaker,

Indeed, I also think that the AMD card is not suitable for the game in bootcamp (and for the game in general), the quality is too random.

You did well to change for a rtx 2070. Are you not afraid to break your macbook pro over time? Mine was really hot, I was even afraid to inflate all the batteries inside the macbook pro. In absolute terms, we have a two-year warranty, but I preferred, for the same price as the chroma, to have a basic computer apart. I will test with the radeon 56 to see if I have the same problems with a real pc.

And if I have it, I will take a rtx 2070 to have a pc for the game, and the macbook pro for work.

Again congratulations on your choice, you have to simplify your life as much as possible. And the internal graphics card of the macbook pro is very good for working. An external gpu for me is not necessary to work on this mac.

ReplyQuote
remaker
(@remaker)

You did well to change for a rtx 2070 . Are you not afraid to break your macbook pro over time? Mine was really hot, I was even afraid to inflate all the batteries inside the macbook pro . In absolute terms, we have a two-year warranty, but I preferred, for the same price as the chroma, to have a basic computer apart. I will test with the radeon 56 to see if I have the same problems with a real pc.

Honestly I was a bit afraid about heat from the laptop initially - especially on some games that seem to hit harder - but I'm using MacFanControl to set up fans manually to 50-70% (or even 90-100% if need be) when gaming which seems to help a lot! On top of that I've changed my dock to "optimize" for air flow a bit ( https://imgur.com/a/sKkpGMF ).

Also I don't usually game for more than 2-3 hours continuously, unfortunately,  so I feel relatively ok with the solution for now but we'll see how it stands the test of time.

Again congratulations on your choice, you have to simplify your life as much as possible. And the internal graphics card of the macbook pro is very good for working. An external gpu for me is not necessary to work on this mac.

I initially tried with the AMD card because I do like simplicity and ideally one solution for both work and game and I was also worried about MacBook fans going on continuously when connected to a 4k display (without an egpu for work) but it seems that with a proper usb-c -> displayport cable it doesn't mess up with the internal gpu and it's pretty chill overall (fans don't kick in unless actually doing something gpu or cpu related)

And for what I'm doing (software development and sometimes some 2d game development, 4k video ,etc) the 5300 inside the MacBook seems to do just fine.

In an ideal world I would expect an expensive piece of machinery such as the MacBook to be fully compatible with modern devices including nvidia gpus and you would also expect AMD to have proper drivers but we don't live in an ideal world unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
 of  3