2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 19H1 & Win11 21H2  

RSS

(@tim_stacker)

System specs

• 16" Macbook Pro (2019) with 4TB3 connectors, 2.6GHz i7-9750H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, AMD 5500m 8GB Vram
  • Razer Core X TB3 eGPU case with Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 (4GB DDR5) 
  • Windows 10 (19H1) via Bootcamp or Windows 11 (21H2) via Bootcamp (both did work)

Installation steps

System setup:

Install the latest Win10 (19H1) or Win 11 (21H2) via Bootcamp and let Windows install its updates.
(as both version work I bet every other version will work with my setup, but I haen't tested it)

In Windows:

• Let Windows install all updates and drivers
  • Download the latest  DDU  and extract the files
  • Deinstall the officiall AMD 5500m drivers with DDU with the restart option
  • Install 5500m drivers from bootcampdrivers.com

In Mac

Back in Windows:

• You should be able to see a second graphic device
  • Install Intel Drivers for iGPU (Intel); Windows automatic driver install is fine
  • Restart and check if you have both iGPU (Intel GPU) and dGPU (5500m) visible in your device manager
  • Shutdown the PC

Connecting and installing the EGPU :

• Boot your Windows without connecting the eGPU to the top left TB3 port on startup but when everything is fully loaded even if the new bootx64 says otherwise
  • If the eGPU is not recognized (you don't hear a sound or can see a third graphic device "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter") connect it to the right port, wait for a sound to be recognized.
  • Download and install latest Nvidia drivers
  • Shutdown and disconnect the eGPU
  • For me procedures below work:
    • Plugging in the eGPU, when Windows is already started
    • Plugging in the eGPU on startup with bootx64.efi countdown
    • Left-Right-Left Port Dance is sometimes neccessary but patiences pays off so give Windows some seconds to recognize everything
      I had the same issues with my HP G2 TB3 Docking station, so I doubt that this has to do with the EGPU that Windows sometimes does not recognize the device.

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

To follow

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

To follow

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 19H1 & Win11 21H2 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote