Setup & Software Discussions
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.15 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I picked up a 2019 16″ MacBook Pro at the local Best Buy tonight. They usually have inventory before the Apple Stores do with new product launch. My first impression is that it’s a nice blend of the 2015 15″ and 2016 15″ MBP. The scissor keyboard has much better travel than the butterfly version yet retains stability of the key caps. The 16″ MBP is thicker and heavier but somehow feels more hollow than the TB3 15″ MBP. Another minor difference is the top case edges. They feel not as sharp compared to the 15″ version. Other than the top bezel, the side and bottom are narrower to accommodate the 16-inch display.

System specs:

2019 16″ MacBook Pro – i9-9880H/HD Graphics 630 iGPU & Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Razer Core V2 + PowerColor Radeon VII + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + ASUS FHD USB-C Portable Monitor

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

My first task was to copy Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO onto the Desktop to start Boot Camp installation. As typical with recent Mac releases, the Boot Camp drivers are not ready so Windows 10 through Boot Camp Assistant could not proceed. Therefore this build guide is through macOS for now. All components in this build have native macOS support so it was plug-and-play.

Before running dGPU and eGPU testing, I ran Cinebench R20 and AJA System Test to check the Intel 9th gen CPU and internal NVMe internal SSD. The numbers are impressive. The 8-core i9-9880H in this laptop posted a better score than the 12-core Xeon E5 2697 V2 in my 2013 Mac Pro. The Apple SSD AP1024N NVM Express drive is also very fast, nearly maxing out x4 PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

Benchmarks:

The native resolution of 3072 x 1920 doesn’t scale correctly when running Unigine in fullscreen so I used an external display, ASUS FHD USB-C portable monitor. This was done through one of the MacBook Pro‘s USB-C ports. I used this same monitor with the eGPUs through the Huawei VR-2 DisplayPort to USB-C cable.

Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU RX 580 eGPU RX Vega 56 Nano eGPU RX 5700 XT eGPU Radeon VII eGPU

Comments:

Similar to the desktop RX 5700/XT, this mobile Navi dGPU posted impressive gaming results. It effectively renders an RX 580 eGPU such as Blackmagic eGPU a waste of money. One disadvantage of this new MacBook Pro I observed so far is noise emission. The cooling fans come on more aggressive and often compared to my 2016 15″ MacBook Pro. I observed high 50s dB during CineBenchR20 stress test. It might be good thing though because the bottom cover didn’t feel very hot to the touch after about an hour of testing. I will be checking for Boot Camp drivers daily to set up this 16″ MacBook Pro with a Radeon eGPU in Windows 10.

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Nice. How’s sustained performance on the MBP? It should be pulling in more watts (CPU) for longer. 

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I will have more time to stress test the CPU this weekend. Will connect it to either the original 96W charger or a 100W PD enclosure to make sure the system gets sufficient power. Currently there are only a handful of eGPU enclosures that provide more than 96W Power Delivery (ASUS ROG XG Station 2, Gigabyte Gaming Box, Razer Core X/Chroma). Personally if you have a Thunderbolt 15″ MacBook Pro, it’s not worth switching to this 16″ model.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
bvbz
 bvbz
(@bvbz)

Thanks for posting this! It's really the only feedback on 16 inch MBP performance out there. I'm debating going from my 13" + desktop to 16 MPB + AMD eGPU and will be crossing my fingers for bootcamp drivers to see what the impressions are.

Cheers.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Oh you.... would love to see some gaming benchmarks too, even your vintage collection 😉 

if it performs close to a 580 then that’s crazy good. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Picked one of these up today, currently identical setup, (although I did just install the supplemental update).  Soon as bootcamp drivers are available I will be testing it out with Win 10 1909, Core X Chroma + RTX 2080, with peripherals still connected to the Core v2, with the Radeon VII disabled for now (which is what I've been doing with the 13" MBPro since I needed to install the latest security updates).

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Oh you.... would love to see some gaming benchmarks too, even your vintage collection 😉 

if it performs close to a 580 then that’s crazy good. 

Still, then, we have issues like heat and noise. Not to be neglected.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I stress-tested the 8-core i9-9880H processor this morning by running CineBench R20 a dozen times. Intel Power Gadget was placed next to it for monitoring. The screen capture below was taken at the 10th run when the CPU was at temperature and the cooling fans were running full speed. Noise level through my sound meter was hovering around 57.6 to 58.0 Db. Except for the first couple runs, the CPU couldn’t reach max turbo frequency of 4.80 Ghz. It stayed comfortable at nearly 100% utilization and sustained frequency of 3.20 Ghz. Max temperature was close but never went above 100 degree Celsius.

@ningauble77 I ran the supplemental 10.15.1 last night and build number is 19B2106. I also connected AKiTiO Node Pro + RX 580, Gigabyte Gaming Box + RX Vega 56 Nano, and Mantiz Venus + RX 5700 XT eGPU and add benchmark numbers to OP. Boot Camp support software is still not available yet.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Thank you! Finally got to see sustained temps for the 8-core model. The sustained draw (PKG) was at 60W under load it seems. This is close to the 12W increase claim (for ref: baseline is 48-50W for 2018/19 15”, so the other 2W can be differed to other idle components maybe). Rather amusingly, the 6-core model is unable to sustain 60W per Max’s videos (was at about 52W), which probably implies that it is being power limited(?) - theoretically I would think it would be able to push much higher clocks vs. 8-core but it doesn’t (3.3 GHz under load according to Max). This behavior is similar to 2019 15” models. The 2018 model as-new runs at about 3.0-3.2 GHz on 6 cores maxed (assuming GPU not active and no clamshell mode). Maybe the 9th gen i9’s (probably more efficient) are cherry-picked and undervolted (the latter is likely certain).

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I had a 100W PD enclosure powering the MBP. The eGPU was disconnected and Kill-a-Watt showed 115-119W from the outlet.

ReplyQuote
diogodasilva
(@diogodasilva)

Does anyone have an update on the Final Cut egpu situation on the latest version ? It seems there is a bandwidth bottleneck and internal GPU performance surpasses eGPU

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote