2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.15 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

diogodasilva
(@diogodasilva)

Does anyone have an update on the Final Cut egpu situation on the latest version ? It seems there is a bandwidth bottleneck and internal GPU performance surpasses eGPU

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dre
 dre
(@dre)
Eminent Member

I'm having an issue with power discharge using the core x (100w pd) anyone else having this issue (this is aside from the FCPX issues)! 

Vega 64 / Razer CORE X TB3 enclosure
2016 MacBook Pro 13’
2018 intel Hades Canyon NUC
2018 Mac Mini
2019 Macbook Pro 16'

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dre What do you mean by power discharge with the Core X (100W PD)? Does the laptop battery discharge during heavy load even when it's connected to 100W PD?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dre
 dre
(@dre)
Eminent Member

@itsage

yep, currently waiting for Razer to email me back (it's been a while, I should chase!!)

This post was modified 6 months ago

Vega 64 / Razer CORE X TB3 enclosure
2016 MacBook Pro 13’
2018 intel Hades Canyon NUC
2018 Mac Mini
2019 Macbook Pro 16'

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dre I would say to contact Apple and hopefully with enough reports they will change the firmware to make sure power consumption reaches no higher than 96W. I don't believe it's the enclosure issue. In several stress tests, I've seen 115-119W from the outlet through Kill-a-Watt. I got the i7 version last night and will test it soon to see whether power consumption is a concern like the i9.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
briantium
(@briantium)

It's interesting to see the difference in benchmarks and FPS for Unigen Heaven, etc, but have you done comparisons between the built in graphics card unconnected to the egpu for Final Cut Pro projects versus plugged in to the eGPU and various cards you have? I'd like to see those to see if it's even worth it to have an eGPU at this point. While the eGPU definitely helps with gaming, it's not so clear for video or photo editing. Would be curious to see just what kind of difference there is. Thanks. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.3 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Shaun Cheon
(@shaun_cheon)

@itsage Hey, thanks for posting about Mbp16" + Radeon VII. It's pretty hard to find information about the compatibility between the two due to the VII being not so desirable for most people at the time.

So I see that this test was done quite a while ago and I can assume the VII works fine on macOS from various sources but I have yet to find any ANY information about whether it will work on Bootcamp windows. I see that you have attempted to try it but bootcamp drivers weren't ready back then. Now that bootcamp works, have you tried the Radeon VII on bootcamp? If so, how did it go?

My friend wants to sell me his Radeon VII for $300 and I want to make sure it is at least compatible before I invest in an eGPU. 

Thanks!

2019 MBP16 5500M4G + Core X (tbd, possibly Radeon VII)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@shaun_cheon, $300 is a great deal for the Radeon VII! It's still the most powerful Radeon card currently available. Boot Camp works well on the 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro. You can look into our builds for the setup instructions.

ReplyQuote
Shaun Cheon
(@shaun_cheon)

@itsage

I checked the builds guides but there is no existing config for mbp16" + radeon VII on Windows, which makes me wonder if the combination even works at all.

Have you personally tried it? Or know any source/confirmation that this combination actually works?

This post was modified 1 month ago

2019 MBP16 5500M4G + Core X (tbd, possibly Radeon VII)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@shaun_cheon, I've tried it. The setup procedure would be the same as this build RX 5700 XT + ASUS XG Station 2 [build link].

ReplyQuote
 of  2