2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X)...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2  

RSS

kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

System specs

• 2019 16" MacBook Pro (i9-9880H, 32GB RAM, 
  • dGPU: Radeon Pro 5500M 
  • macOS 10.15 / 11.0 Beta 10
  • Windows 10 Home 20H2 (Build 19042.572)

eGPU hardware 

Hardware pictures

•  
    IMG 2232

Installation steps 

• Hot-Plug to top-left Thunderbolt port
  • GeForce 456.71 drivers installed manually

Benchmarks

Comments 

• After a bit of a bumpy ride due to incorrectly connecting the power connector this build has been quite straightforward.
  • I'll update this post as I gather a bit more experience with it.
This topic was modified 2 years ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sam Durston
(@sam_durston)

Would love to hear some updates on this build. I have a 2019 16" MBP as well as an RTX 2080 in my gaming rig and I'm considering slimming down my setup to just the MBP+2080egpu.

What sort of performance do you get with your 2060 in some benchmarking software like 3Dmark? Also, if you monitor supports gsync/freesync are you able to turn on adaptive sync in the Nvidia Control Panel?

16” MBP: 2.6 GHz i7 || 16GB RAM ||| 5500M 4GB || 512 GB SSD

ReplyQuote
kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

@sam_durston I've added a couple of benchmarks. I'll probably save buying 3Dmark until I've taken my GPU up a notch.

My monitor unfortunately doesn't support FreeSync so I can't test that.

In most games the eGPU provides a significant improvement to what I've been used to with the 5500M although since I went for the RTX 2060 (in hope of stepping up to a 3080 with EVGA eventually) I expect my results will be significantly lower than what can be expected with a 2080.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Guma
 Guma
(@guma)

@sam_durston, thx for the build...what bout the performance of internal monitor?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500XT) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@nikolay_kushin)

@kanrakuzh, thank you for sharing your build!

I am going to buy second hand Razer Core X and use it with MacBook Pro 16 2019 + Nvidia Geforce 3060ti and would appreciate if you can share any issues you experienced.

Did you install simultaneously AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers?

Any problems switching on or hot-plugging eGPU etc?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
kalashnikov
(@kalashnikov)

@kanrakuzh thanks for your setup info - gonna use it in my setup, as I have exactly the same MBP (previously I had experience with 2014 model with 1060 and Akitio Node 2).

@nikolay_kushin, any update on 3060ti setup? I've ordered Razer Core X and want to buy 2060 / 3060, but I want to hustle with installation and usage with bootcamp and possible errors that may occur with the new 3060 card.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@nikolay_kushin)

@kalashnikov, not really. Overall I enjoy this setup - everything works as intended. Had some troubles at first my monitor has to be switched on so that Windows can detect it (it has some short shutdown timeout and was switching off before I changed settings to extend display). Under heavy load eGPU case is getting relatively warm - so definitely not good idea to put laptop on top. Also not every port on my MacBookPro seems to work as Thunderbolt (recognizing eGPU) - I use closer one to the front side on the left side of the laptop. I bought an adapter (Thunderbolt to Ethernet/HDMI/USB) to connect to the monitor while working in MacOS - also works fine under windows, especially if you want to stream to VR. I have both AMD and NVidia drivers installed in Windows - so internal display works with Radeon and extendal one via DisplayPort on eGPU. But normally I set output only to external display in Windows (Cmd+P).

ReplyQuote
kalashnikov
(@kalashnikov)

@nikolay_kushin, thanks for detailed experience message. Just to clearify: you are talking about 3060 or 2060 setup? I found that people have luck to get 3060 working on bootcamp at all. 

ReplyQuote
(@nikolay_kushin)

@kalashnikov, it is PNY Geforce RTX 3060ti

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote