2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [RedHeadRoo]  

RSS

(@redheadroo)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system user which eGPU is being used)

16-Inch MacBook Pro | 2.4GHz 8-core i9-9880HK | 64GB DDR4 2666MHz | HD Graphics 630 iGPU | AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 dGPU | 2TB SSD

Asus PB287Q 28-Inch Widescreen Ultra HD 4K Monitor

Wacom Cintiq Pro 16

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core X Chroma

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition, Driver Version 441.28

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Cable 2m

Running on Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.535

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for “attach files” button to appear. Or can link from say http://imgur.com )

https://imgur.com/U1HjpqA

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

01 Windows 10 Pro was already installed with Boot Camp Assistant and on the current version so I thought I would give it a go as it was

02 Assemble eGpu

03 Start Windows 10 Pro (I have the Boot Camp Control Panel set to Start with Windows by default so I don't need to hold down the option key)

04 Uninstall AMD drivers in Windows 10 with DDU and reboot

05 Download the AMD driver from the official website, install and reboot

06 Plug-in the eGPU, download the NVIDIA driver from the official website, install and reboot

(This is the point where I had a nightmare installing the drivers, they kept failing to install, I ended up getting the NVIDIA GeForce Experience and this installed the latest drivers for me)

07 To use the eGPU for 3D software, Start - Settings - System - Graphic Settings - Browse for your 3D software's executable file (*.exe). Click Options and set it to High Performance, which means the eGPU will be used.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

CUDA-Z Core - https://imgur.com/bgAgNim
CUDA-Z Memory - https://imgur.com/NWTMRJ8
CUDA-Z Performance - https://imgur.com/zmjrIlr

https://imgur.com/fdsR8gW

https://imgur.com/Zjszi4R

Run on Asus PB287Q 28-Inch Widescreen Ultra HD 4K Monitor

Comments

When I start Windows 10 Pro, I wait until everything has started before plugging in the eGPU

The majority of the time it all works fine. Just occasionally you can hear the eGPU start but the 4K monitor does not come on and other times it knocks the Bluetooth out. I need both working

I have found if I restart and hold down the option key and then choose macOS and let that get to the login screen, then click Restart (without logging in), then let it automatically boot into Windows and login, then plug in the eGPU, this works for me everytime

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) (9th,8C,H) + RTX 2080 Ti FE @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1909

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@redheadroo Thank you for sharing this build! Interesting to hear a warm macOS reboot into Windows helps with more consistent eGPU hot-plug detection.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@redheadroo)

@itsage I have no idea why it helps, but about 3 times in the month that I have had this setup, I have had to reboot into Windows 2 or 3 times and the eGPU starts when connected, but does not start the attached monitor or does start the attached monitor but takes down bluetooth. This restart into macOS seems to put everything right, as when I the restart in Windows everything is fine again. I wish I could explain why. I hope this helps a few people as I had read a couple of posts where people had bluetooth knocked out by their eGPU.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) (9th,8C,H) + RTX 2080 Ti FE @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1909

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

I have a similar setup, what I've been doing with 98% success is: Boot windows, do NOT login yet, Wait like 30 seconds, then plug the eGPU and login. I've been more successfull with this approach than loging in before eGPU connection.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
freshpots
(@freshpots)

Posted by: @redheadroo

04 Uninstall AMD drivers in Windows 10 with DDU and reboot

05 Download the AMD driver from the official website, install and reboot

06 Plug-in the eGPU, download the NVIDIA driver from the official website, install and reboot

Am I able to ask that you clarify what you did here? Did you uninstall the default BootCamp AMD drivers with DDU, and then after install the official AMD drivers from their website?

By plugging in the eGPU, and then downloading/installing the NVIDIA drivers, what did you accomplish here? Was it necessary to install the official AMD drivers first - could you not just install the NVIDIA drivers while the "Basic Display Adapter" was on? Or, was this so that when the eGPU is not connected you have working AMD drivers, but when you connect the eGPU it switches to NVIDIA drivers..?

Thanks 🙂 I have this exact same macbook, and the same enclosure and gpu are coming tomorrow.. So I was hoping to know why you went this route.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@redheadroo)

@Rycco Many thanks for this. I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on after a few logins

@freshpots Yes I did exactly that. I uninstalled the default Boot Camp AMD drivers  with  DDU and then after installed the official AMD drivers from their website.

Yes as far as I know it was necessary to install the AMD drivers first, this is what I have read on many other builds of how other people have done it successfully so I took the same approach.

And yes you will need working AMD drivers in macOS anyway, and in Windows when the eGPU is not running.

As far as I am aware both GPU's work. You pick the one you want on a per application basis in Graphics Settings (See link below)

https://imgur.com/djGtzsR

Hope this helps

Good luck with your build

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
freshpots
(@freshpots)

@redheadroo

Thanks, I managed to set everything up successfully as far as I know but I think I'm experiencing the same issues you had with Bluetooth. I can't seem to get my keyboard connected, when i try to setup a bluetooth device it just tells me that I should try turning Bluetooth on, etc etc. Did restarting and hot plugging help for you?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@redheadroo)

@freshpots A restart and hot plugging works for me everytime although I have adopted a new timing for hot plugging as of yesterday, mentioned by @rycco above which is to wait 30 seconds at the Windows login screen and the plug in the eGPU. I have had a far higher success rate with this with 8 o/o 8 successful boots thus far. Thank you so much @rycco. Hope this helps you @freshpots.

The other thing I mentioned above if bluetooth keeps failing to start, is restart in macOS and then at the macOS login screen click Restart and then go back into Windows, this works everytime for me.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote