Setup & Software Discussions
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This is my first attempt with M.2 eGPU Adapter which caters to laptops without Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. Thanks to NVMe M.2 Thunderbolt 3 enclosures becoming more affordable (as low as $50) we could finally build a DIY Thunderbolt 3 solution for around $100. I bought the ADT-Link R43SG based on @nando4‘s recommendation. It was $50 from Aliexpress and took a couple of weeks to arrive. The PSU pairing would depend on power requirement of your graphics card. For this build with a reference RX 5700, the Dell DA-2 220W output was sufficient.

System specs:

2019 16″ MacBook Pro – i9-9880H/HD Graphics 630 iGPU & Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ADT-Link R43SG + Wavelink UTE02 M.2-TB3 + Dell DA-2 + PowerColor RX 5700 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

This was a surprisingly easy process. The Wavelink UTE02 NVMe M.2 to TB3 mainboard contains TI83 USB-C controller & Intel DSL6540 Thunderbolt 3 controller so it has native support in macOS. So was the Radeon RX 5700 graphics card. The unknown piece to me was the ADT-Link R43SG which hosts the graphics card and facilitates the PCIe connection from the slot through an M.2 connector then eventually to Thunderbolt 3 connector.

The ADT-Link R43SG board has plenty of toggle switches and power connectors. If you’re unsure of the settings, leave everything as is or read usage instructions in this R43SG-TB3 discussion. First step was to connect the 8-pin plug from Dell DA-2 power brick to the corresponding power receptacle on R43SG board. The package comes with an 8-pin to dual 6 + 2-pin PCIe cable to power the graphics card. I used it to connect the RX 5700 GPU. Last step was to secure the M.2 connector to the UTE02 TB3 board. Once these tasks were done, a simple hot-plug got the eGPU going in macOS!

In Windows this setup works the same way. Currently the modified Radeon drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com doesn’t work with the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro‘s RP 5500M dGPU just yet so the RX 5700 eGPU needs an external monitor for gaming use. There are more details in my previous build (XG Station 2 + RX 5700 XT).

Benchmarks:

I ran Unigine and 3DMark in Boot Camp only. For macOS performance numbers, you can check my other build with the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro + RX 580/RX Vega 56/RX 5700 XT/Radeon VII eGPUs. Due to no gaming drivers for the Radeon Pro 5500M discrete graphics card, I used the stock Apple Boot Camp drivers for these tests. The RX 5700 external graphics card was running Radeon graphics drivers version 19.11.1 (from BCD).

RP 5500M dGPU RX 5700 eGPU

Comments:

I’m very glad we start seeing more affordable choices for external graphics. This entire eGPU solution was $120 ($50 for ADT-Link R43SG, $50 for Wavelink UTE02, and $20 for Dell DA-2). Better yet the M.2 eGPU adapter is way more versatile thanks to compatibility with many laptops. It also has better performance than Thunderbolt 3 interface. My next build using this ADT-Link R43SG is with the MSI Prestige 15 (6-core i7-10710U). An intriguing host I also have in mind is the 2015 15″ MacBook Pro by using a NGFF M.2 nVME adapter.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

omardesu, Andrew Keller, nando4 and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

This is cool as hell, kinda miss the old self build/hack days (not that I ever did anything more than copy a couple of easy builds from smart folks).  

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Definitely more fun piecing everything together than going with a ready-to-go eGPU enclosure. Too bad the 2018 Mac mini doesn’t have an M.2 or NVMe slot. I do have plans for putting together a Mac mini tower with eGPU inside.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Could you elaborate on the M.2 Connector (link between the ADT and Wavelink boards)? Was this included with the ADT or a separate purchase/you already had it? If not included, a product link would be awesome. Am not very familiar with these technologies.

Edit: looking at the ADT product page, it allows for cable length selection, so I am guessing it’s a part of that.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Yes the cable is included. Standard is 25cm and there’s an option for 50cm. I should have taken pictures of the unboxing but was too excited to get it running. @nando4 did a great detailing post on the different uses of this ADT-Link R43SG adapter.

ReplyQuote
ritterbutzke
(@ritterbutzke)

@itsage

Going through the Wavelink will deliver the usual TB3 performance correct? Only hooking up to a laptops m.2 slot will deliver more performance?

Also does an active 2 meter TB3 cable work with this setup?
Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@sernie)

@itsage

I'd be interested to see if the same setup could be done to an old iMac 27' Late 2015 or those that are still in Thunderbolt 2 below.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@sernie It’s likely not going to work through Thunderbolt 2 interface because the UTE02 main board needs bus-power from the Thunderbolt 3 port. Using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter would not provide bus power. If your 2015 27″ iMac has the Fusion drive, it’s actually the best Mac to use this ADT-Link R43SG M.2 eGPU adapter. You can swap the spinning drive out for SATA 2.5″ SSD, then pop the ADT-Link R43SG M.2 connector into the iMac PCIe SSD slot using a NGFF NVMe M.2 adapter. The PCIe extension cable can be routed through the rear exhaust vent cutouts. Piggyback the eGPU on the iMac stand with something like the Twelve South Backpack.

ReplyQuote
(@sernie)

@itsage

This reply is very helpful. Thank you for these suggestions. Yes I am running an iMac with a Fusion Drive. Does this mean I can actually use an EGPU through the ADT-Link R43SG as well as use an NVMe M.2 adapter? Sorry if this seems to be a noob question because I am really looking at upping the performance of my mac the cheapest route possible.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ritterbutzke Yes direct M.2 slot connection would be faster. Routing through the Thunderbolt 3 connection results in performance similar to a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure. It should work the same way regarding Thunderbolt 3 cables. As long as the Thunderbolt 3 port from the host computer provides sufficient bus power to run the UTe02 TB3 board, this setup will work.

@sernie The PCIe SSD slot inside Mac computers are not standard keys. Therefore you’d need an adapter to connect the M.2 to the PCIe SSD slot. This NGFF NVMe M.2 adapter is one I’d recommend. I’ve used it in many Mac NVMe SSD upgrades. The late 2015 Macs have x4 PCIe 3.0 through the SSD slot so you’d get full bandwidth.

I ran some benchmarks last night and updated the OP with numbers. The 5700 eGPU is almost twice the performance of the 5500M dGPU. One thing to note is that when both CPU and dGPU were running, the cooling fans immediately came on full speed. This was not the case when using the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
(@erik_holmstrom)

Posted by: @itsage

Too bad the 2018 Mac mini doesn't have an M.2 or NVMe slot. I do have plans for putting together a Mac mini tower with eGPU inside.

But this would still work with the Mac mini simply through one of the four TB3 ports, right? 

EDIT: base on the comment above I now understand that the M.2 would be faster/better performance

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@sernie

You could connect a Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports to the Thunderbolt 2 Mac so that you can power the Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure by connecting it to the Thunderbolt 3 device. But Thunderbolt 3 devices are expensive so you might as well get a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure at that point.

@erik_holmstrom

Yes, the Mac Mini can power a Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure. It's limited by the Thunderbolt 3 connection just like any Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure.
https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/thunderbolt-3-external-drive-slot-m-2-ngff-adapter/

M.2 is faster only if it's a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection (no Thunderbolt 3 between CPU and eGPU). Actually, PCIe 3.0 x1 might also give better eGPU performance even though it has less bandwidth than Thunderbolt https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/a-call-for-measurements-isolating-the-thunderbolt-effect/paged/5/#post-14987

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
tsygna
(@tsygna)

@itsage

This is so sick lol - respect.

16" MBP 2019: i7 6-cores, dGPU Radeon 5300M, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Gigabyte Nvidia 2080 Super enclosed in Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550

ReplyQuote
CharbarHoo
(@charbarhoo)

@itsage

First off, this is really cool! Second, you say this setup will work for computers without TB3, so would this in theory be able to work with a surface laptop 3 that has usb-c but no TB3? Excuse me for being such a noob lol.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@charbarhoo GPUs connect to the computer using PCIe. A USB controller cannot do PCIe unless it's USB4 (doesn't exist yet) or Thunderbolt 3. You need a connection on your computer that does PCIe. Possible connections are Thunderbolt, PCIe, mPCIe, M.2, ExpressCard. Check the eGPU.io's Buyer's Guide.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@andrew_keller)

@itsage

Hello there itsage, I'm a new forum member here on egpu.io. I had discovered your post while searching around to find cheap alternatives to egpu boxes. I was wondering if you could answer something though about this setup for me. I know with other cheap solution for external gpus setups, like the exp gdc beast for example, that when everything is hooked up to a laptop, the gpu doesn't power up until the laptop is powered on, and vice versa. So what I'm wanting to know is if this is the case when using the R43SG with a M.2 to TB3 enclosure, or if it'll have to be powered on and off manually when using such a setup. 

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Keller aka anjuskel

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@andrew_keller The ADT-Link R43SG can function both ways. By default it’s set to sense power signal from the host machine and will turn on/off accordingly. You can also put the toggle switch to have it power on all the time regardless of host computer power state.

ReplyQuote
(@andrew_keller)

And it does so even connected to a M.2 to TB3 enclosure?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@andrew_keller Yes it worked perfectly when connected through the M.2 Thunderbolt 3 board in this setup. Here’s the discussion on ADT-Link R43SG with additional information on the toggle switches and different settings.

ReplyQuote
(@andrew_keller)

@itsage

I’ll have to take a look at it then. I’ve ordered both the R43SG and a equivalent M.2 to TB3 enclosure online both for a good price, lowest I could find. If anyone is interested in the site I purchased them, PM me

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

@itsage

a mini case to house this egpu setup plus mac mini internals (logic board and its psu) and a custom cpu cooler for the mac mini would be the ultimate nearly customizable mac non-pro. 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ondert Definitely! When I have more time, I will take apart my Phanteks Evolv Shift X and use the components in this eGPU setup for the 2018 Mac mini. The nice thing about this case as well as many ITX cases is that the GPU connection typically goes through a PCIe riser which provides a lot of flexibility. The Mac mini will occupy motherboard + CPU cooler area. I can use the same arrangement of SFX PSU, cooling fans, GPU mount, and cable management. The Mac mini will be placed vertically for the I/Os accessible from the top. One Thunderbolt 3 controller hosts the eGPU, the other hosts an NVMe 1TB drive. I will use a USB fan controller to run the case cooling fans (4x 140mm).

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

That would be terrific! I have a Dan A4 SFX case at home, if only I know CAD programs so I could have design some 3D parts to put all of them together in it.

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
(@fiesta5ever)

@itsage

I'm looking to do something very similar with an ITX case. My Red Devil 5700 xt just arrived but I can't decide on a power supply. What would you consider to be the sweet spot in terms of wattage?

Need to power my gpu and R43SG-TB3. I know the razer core holds a 700w psu but i've also read that too much power can have a negative effect.

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

I think Corsair SF600 should be enough, if not, there is also 750w version of it.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@fiesta5ever The RX 5700 XT should work fine with a 400W+ PSU. I don’t think a higher Wattage power supply would be a bad idea except for cost. 

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

Hero @itsage strikes again!  Nice work!!!

You really are an inspiration to the eGPU community.  While I've been going the other route and just going with SFF builds and Windows 10, you're still plugging away with the eGPU's and Macs (and other computers as well)!!  I'm interested to see how your Mac mini Evolv Shift X tower comes out.  While I would never need that much power coming out of a Mac, it's a pretty cool concept.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@omardesu Here are some early steps of my Mac mini ITX tower build. I was going to use the ADT-Link R43SG M.2 eGPU adapter but I realized using the Mantiz Venus Thunderbolt 3 board and its expansion I/O daughterboard would give me even more flexibility. First of all is the nice integration of two externally mounted USB 3.0 ports. The Evolv Shift X includes a USB 3.0 cable that can go right into the expansion daughterboard. The Mantiz mainboard is smaller so it doesn’t restrict internal airflow as much. Last but not least is the option to use SATA connection for external SSD. My plan is to use the second TB3 controller on the Mac mini to host an NVMe drive via Wavelink UTE02 Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.

ReplyQuote