2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903  

of  5
  RSS

Erik Holmstrom
(@erik_holmstrom)

Posted by: @itsage

Too bad the 2018 Mac mini doesn't have an M.2 or NVMe slot. I do have plans for putting together a Mac mini tower with eGPU inside.

But this would still work with the Mac mini simply through one of the four TB3 ports, right? 

EDIT: base on the comment above I now understand that the M.2 would be faster/better performance

This post was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@sernie

You could connect a Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports to the Thunderbolt 2 Mac so that you can power the Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure by connecting it to the Thunderbolt 3 device. But Thunderbolt 3 devices are expensive so you might as well get a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure at that point.

@erik_holmstrom

Yes, the Mac Mini can power a Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure. It's limited by the Thunderbolt 3 connection just like any Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure.
https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/thunderbolt-3-external-drive-slot-m-2-ngff-adapter/

M.2 is faster only if it's a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection (no Thunderbolt 3 between CPU and eGPU). Actually, PCIe 3.0 x1 might also give better eGPU performance even though it has less bandwidth than Thunderbolt https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/a-call-for-measurements-isolating-the-thunderbolt-effect/paged/5/#post-14987

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
tsygna
(@tsygna)

@itsage

This is so sick lol - respect.

16" MBP 2019: i7 6-cores, dGPU Radeon 5300M, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Gigabyte Nvidia 2080 Super enclosed in Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CharbarHoo
(@charbarhoo)

@itsage

First off, this is really cool! Second, you say this setup will work for computers without TB3, so would this in theory be able to work with a surface laptop 3 that has usb-c but no TB3? Excuse me for being such a noob lol.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@charbarhoo GPUs connect to the computer using PCIe. A USB controller cannot do PCIe unless it's USB4 (doesn't exist yet) or Thunderbolt 3. You need a connection on your computer that does PCIe. Possible connections are Thunderbolt, PCIe, mPCIe, M.2, ExpressCard. Check the eGPU.io's Buyer Guide.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Andrew Keller
(@andrew_keller)

@itsage

Hello there itsage, I'm a new forum member here on egpu.io. I had discovered your post while searching around to find cheap alternatives to egpu boxes. I was wondering if you could answer something though about this setup for me. I know with other cheap solution for external gpus setups, like the exp gdc beast for example, that when everything is hooked up to a laptop, the gpu doesn't power up until the laptop is powered on, and vice versa. So what I'm wanting to know is if this is the case when using the R43SG with a M.2 to TB3 enclosure, or if it'll have to be powered on and off manually when using such a setup. 

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Keller aka anjuskel

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@andrew_keller The ADT-Link R43SG can function both ways. By default it's set to sense power signal from the host machine and will turn on/off accordingly. You can also put the toggle switch to have it power on all the time regardless of host computer power state.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Andrew Keller
(@andrew_keller)

And it does so even connected to a M.2 to TB3 enclosure?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@andrew_keller Yes it worked perfectly when connected through the M.2 Thunderbolt 3 board in this setup. Here's the discussion on ADT-Link R43SG with additional information on the toggle switches and different settings.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Andrew Keller
(@andrew_keller)

@itsage

I’ll have to take a look at it then. I’ve ordered both the R43SG and a equivalent M.2 to TB3 enclosure online both for a good price, lowest I could find. If anyone is interested in the site I purchased them, PM me

ReplyQuote
 of  5