2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903  

of  6
  RSS

ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

@itsage

a mini case to house this egpu setup plus mac mini internals (logic board and its psu) and a custom cpu cooler for the mac mini would be the ultimate nearly customizable mac non-pro. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ondert Definitely! When I have more time, I will take apart my Phanteks Evolv Shift X and use the components in this eGPU setup for the 2018 Mac mini. The nice thing about this case as well as many ITX cases is that the GPU connection typically goes through a PCIe riser which provides a lot of flexibility. The Mac mini will occupy motherboard + CPU cooler area. I can use the same arrangement of SFX PSU, cooling fans, GPU mount, and cable management. The Mac mini will be placed vertically for the I/Os accessible from the top. One Thunderbolt 3 controller hosts the eGPU, the other hosts an NVMe 1TB drive. I will use a USB fan controller to run the case cooling fans (4x 140mm).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

That would be terrific! I have a Dan A4 SFX case at home, if only I know CAD programs so I could have design some 3D parts to put all of them together in it.

This post was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fiesta5ever
(@fiesta5ever)

@itsage

I'm looking to do something very similar with an ITX case. My Red Devil 5700 xt just arrived but I can't decide on a power supply. What would you consider to be the sweet spot in terms of wattage?

Need to power my gpu and R43SG-TB3. I know the razer core holds a 700w psu but i've also read that too much power can have a negative effect.

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

I think Corsair SF600 should be enough, if not, there is also 750w version of it.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fiesta5ever The RX 5700 XT should work fine with a 400W+ PSU. I don't think a higher Wattage power supply would be a bad idea except for cost. 

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Estimable Member

Hero @itsage strikes again!  Nice work!!!

You really are an inspiration to the eGPU community.  While I've been going the other route and just going with SFF builds and Windows 10, you're still plugging away with the eGPU's and Macs (and other computers as well)!!  I'm interested to see how your Mac mini Evolv Shift X tower comes out.  While I would never need that much power coming out of a Mac, it's a pretty cool concept.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@omardesu Here are some early steps of my Mac mini ITX tower build. I was going to use the ADT-Link R43SG M.2 eGPU adapter but I realized using the Mantiz Venus Thunderbolt 3 board and its expansion I/O daughterboard would give me even more flexibility. First of all is the nice integration of two externally mounted USB 3.0 ports. The Evolv Shift X includes a USB 3.0 cable that can go right into the expansion daughterboard. The Mantiz mainboard is smaller so it doesn't restrict internal airflow as much. Last but not least is the option to use SATA connection for external SSD. My plan is to use the second TB3 controller on the Mac mini to host an NVMe drive via Wavlink UTE02 Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.

ReplyQuote
dramikei
(@dramikei)

Thank you for such an amazing build guide. I'm wondering about one thing though, why did you go for ADT-Link pcie x16 to M.2 with Wavlink UTE02 M.2-TB3 adapter. Why didn't you just get ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 which is a pcie x16 to thunderbolt 3 adapter?

I'm thinking to buy ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 for my MacBook Pro 2017. Haven't found any build/review with this particular adapter.

Also I'm new here! just made an account so that I could comment Smile

looking forward to being a long time member!

EDIT: I think I got it after going through the ADT-Link discussion forum (correct me if I'm wrong). So the ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 is basically a pcie x16 to nvme adapter with a nvme to tb3 adapter being shipped in one package. And thus you buying the ADT-Link R43SG and Wavlink UTE02 M.2-TB3 doesn't make any difference than buying ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 as a whole?

This post was modified 8 months ago

God only knows,
"Though it's not so easy to get through
Here I am, I'm sure that things will go my way".

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dramikei Welcome aboard! They are essentially the same kit, combing the ADT-Link R43SG M.2 eGPU adapter with a M.2-TB3 board. I went with the Wavlink UTE02 because of its flexibility, an NVMe Thunderbolt 3 enclosure for external SSD. It was also on sale for a great price, $50. 

ReplyQuote
 of  6