2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903  

of  7
  RSS

pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

Thanks @itsage I did also skim over your other build, but have just had a better read through it. I think I will get the R43SG in the current sales, has it held up well? any issues? I currently have a Thunderbolt 2 eGPU build, but the faster connection speed of this adapter would be nice.

A couple other questions if you don't mind, what length of cable did you get? I'm considering the 50cm one (if that doesn't cause issues?). I did think of using a R44SF extension cable to make the installation easier, but have now read it mentioned that causes problems.

I also I like the idea of running the Apple SSD in an external case like you have done, but don't see many around that are compatible (just learning Apple uses their own connection type). Does this one look like it would work in the 2014 Macbook Pro? AliExpress Generic Apple SSD Enclosure (sorry about the link but I don't see this kind anywhere else). I could also grab it in this weekends sales.

2014 15" MacBook Pro (2.8Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Geforce GT 750M)
eGPU: AKiTiO Thunder2 + GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@pixxelpusher, I got a trebleet after seeing reviews by maxtech on YouTube . It is a thunderbolt exposure so very fast. It works fine great speeds. https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Enclosure-Thunderbolt3-NVME-Drive/dp/B07N67P39W/

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1068NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 49 1440p UltraWide C49RG
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

@tsakal, thanks it looks good but unfortunately I don't have Thunderbolt 3 on the 2014 Macbook Pro. Also probably a bit too expensive for my needs

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pixxelpusher, I have the 50cm cable version. It's been working great. As long as you don't force a bottom cover or any mounting tabs on top of the cable, there shouldn't be any issues. USB SSD enclosure is the most affordable solution to relocate the hard drive. There's one Thunderbolt 2 enclosure but it's rather expensive at $250+.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

@itsage, That's great to hear! Think I'm about to pull the trigger today. I was thinking about that and think when I do the install I might put a thin bit of foam around the cable where it touches the MacBook Pro's cover to keep it protected.

Yes Thunderbolt 2 enclosure is out of the picture sadly. I'm trying to keep this build as cheap as possible as it's an end of life mac for me, looking to buy a new one by the end of next year. I have been looking at more USB enclosures and think this one may actually be better as it's USB 3.1 type C so might be faster than the other one I posted as that was listed as just 3.0 Generic USB 3.1 Apple SSD Enclosure I'm really not familiar with the Apple SSD connector versions so hoping the specs on it are correct for the 2014 MBP? The description of it seems to sound like it will work

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pixxelpusher, I would say to get an external SSD such as Samsung T5 500GB (around $80 during Black Friday). That way you can repurpose it for when you switch to a newer Mac.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

@itsage, Have already purchased so will see how I go with it all when it all arrives, fingers crossed it all works. Thanks for the tips and I'll be following your builds so may have more questions at a later date. I'll try and post a build too when I get it all together.

I have looked at the T5's before but I just don't think I'd see any performance over a 2.5" SSD in a SATA to USB case on the 2014 MBP, the usb ports are pretty limiting and always going to bottleneck so would probably see <400mbps speeds. I have a few Samsung EVO SSD's laying around that get those kind of speeds externally so I could use one of them if I really needed. I was just hoping to use the Mac drive for now to make things simpler as I currently have Boot Camp already working on it and it would be easy to just boot to it external when using the eGPU and then put it back internal afterwards. Only really looking to use it for some gaming and VR when I have time on the weekends, so it should hopefully be good enough for that.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Style
(@style)

Hello again. 

So I finally decided to purchase the kit for the DIY eGPU for my MBP

I noticed that the Orico TCM2T3-G40 is cheaper then the Wavlink UTE02 .

Will it be a good idea to get the model by ORICO? Will the saving be worth it, or the WAVLINK is a better choice to go with?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@style, the Orico should work. It uses Alpine Ridge and is not backward compatible with USB-C so you don't have to worry about it trying to use the GPU as an NVMe device (I don't know if that problem exists - I expect a Titan Ridge device that could use an NVMe with USB-C won't do anything with a GPU and that the GPU should work when connected as Thunderbolt).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  7