Setup & Software Discussions
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Windows software support for the 2019 16″ MacBook Pro became available today. I installed through Boot Camp Assistant using Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO. This ISO contains version 18362.30 which is safe from error 12 that occurs in the latest Win10 versions. My early observation is that the cooling profile in Boot Camp is not as good as macOS. The cooling fans don’t run as aggressive or often compared to macOS. The processor would reach 99° C rather quick in Windows.

System specs:

2019 16″ MacBook Pro – i9-9880H/HD Graphics 630 iGPU & Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS ROG XG Station 2 + PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + ASUS FHD USB-C Portable Monitor

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In macOS 10.15.1 and newer, the XG Station 2 + RX 5700 XT eGPU was plug-and-play. In Windows 10, besides choosing the right version [1903 18362.30-.295 discussion], we’d need modified Radeon graphics drivers from BootCampdrivers.com because Radeon Pro dGPU uses Blue/Pro drivers while most Radeon eGPUs use Red/Gaming drivers. Currently the latest drivers on bootcampdrivers.com do not work with the Radeon Pro 5300M/5500M dGPU in the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro. Hopefully @Mat_hd will have them incorporated in December version.

To avoid driver conflicts and black internal display when the eGPU connected at boot, I use DDU to remove the stock Boot Camp graphics drivers. The dGPU works partially without Radeon drivers (no graphics acceleration). It shows up in Windows as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. The internal display runs at a slower refresh rate (~30Hz) but brightness control works. Due to no drivers for the dGPU, Windows Hybrid graphics for internal display acceleration through the RX 5700 XT eGPU is not possible. I connected the eGPU to the ASUS USB-C portable monitor using the Huawei VR-2 DisplayPort to USB-C cable.

Unique to the 2018-2019 MacBook Pros (both 15″ & 16″) is the non-functional Intel UHD Graphics iGPU. Even though apple_set_os.efi or rEFInd spoof can activate the iGPU in Boot Camp, the internal display cannot function when it attaches to the iGPU. Doing so would cause flashing white dots then black screen in Windows. Currently we don’t have any workarounds for these MacBook Pros. This is most consistent setup and boot-up procedure:

1. Install Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (version 19362.30) through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]
  2. Install DDU to remove all graphics drivers and disable Windows automated driver installation [in Windows]
  3. Confirm 1x Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (Radeon Pro dGPU) in Device Manager [in Windows]
  4. Hot-plug Radeon eGPU then download and install modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com [in Windows]
  5. Shut the MacBook Pro down instead of [Restart Now] prompt by Radeon Installer [in Windows]

If all goes well the Radeon eGPU should start working at next Windows 10 boot-up. I have had success with both cold-plug and hot-plug. I have not experienced error 12 with the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro so far. If you do, try a clean Boot Camp install using Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO [1903 18362.30-.295 discussion] then follow step 1-5 above.

Benchmarks:

I ran Unigine and 3DMark benchmarks through the external USB-C monitor. No Radeon Pro dGPU benchmarks for now due to only Boot Camp graphics drivers available. I will try Radeon Pro drivers from AMD website and see if those work with the dGPU.

RP 5500M dGPU RX 5700 XT eGPU

Comments:

The numbers don’t look bad but they could be better if thermal throttling wasn’t an issue. This was with the Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU not being used at all. During CineBench R20, the CPU could not sustain clock speed higher than 3.2GHz, much lower than the same test in macOS.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@ojasjoshi)

Hey @itsage I'm new here.  I own a 2016 15 MacBook Pro base model (i7 6700HQ, RP450 ). I don't really know about E-GPU Enclosures. The country in which I live in ( India ) has the Gigabyte Gaming Box enclosure available. Now I'm confused on which version to buy. There are basically 2 versions 1) 1070 and 2) rx580. I don't really get which to buy. Could you please help me with it. Which version is better ? Which is easy to setup with ? also is hot plugging a thing in windows ? and what are the tradeoffs ? I'm just a student. Might have put this in the wrong forum post. But yeah just help me please.

Pending: 15 MacBook Pro 2016 - i7-6700HQ , RP450 ojasjoshi . Confused between. rx580 and gtx1070 as that's what I can afford. enclosure - Gigabyte Gaming Box ( NOT BOUGHT YET ). Please help me in making a decision.

ReplyQuote
(@alvin_de_cruz)

The drivers on bcd.com are working with the MBP 16 (adrenaline red gaming nov 19 Drivers) Mine’s a 5500m

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Is Radeon Image Sharpening available for the dGPU? 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Nice work with the windows instal, I was worried the goal posts may have moved again but it appears not!

does Mac fans control app not work in windows (due to t2?)?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@alvin_de_cruz)

@alec

Yes it’s available. 

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @alvin_de_cruz

@alec

Yes it’s available. 

That's pretty neat. You might be able to lower your games to 80% native resolution and play games at a higher frame rate with little to no quality impact.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ojasjoshi I’d recommend the RX 580 Gaming Box so that you can use it in both macOS and Windows Boot Camp. I paired an identical eGPU build last year with some benchmark numbers in macOS and Windows. The Boot Camp eGPU setup process is more challenging on this model than most Macs but it’s worth it. Make sure you go to our DSDT Overrides Repository and download the matching AML file for your MacBook Pro which has the Radeon Pro 450.

@alvin_de_cruz Good to hear the BCD drivers work for your 2019 16″ MacBook Pro. Can you provide more details of the installation process and specs of your eGPU setup? As described in my build, I ran DDU first to remove the stock Boot Camp graphics drivers. Connected the RX 5700 XT eGPU so that both dGPU and eGPU showed up in Device Manager as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. I used the Nov Radeon drivers from BCD (19.11.1) but only the RX 5700 XT eGPU loaded them.

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I'm trying to get my 16" i9 5500M (stock) working with my Core X and RX 580.  I have 1903 V1 .295 installed, used DDU to remove the Boot Camp drivers, connected the Core X and installed the Adrenaline  Red Nov 2019 drivers. But I'm stuck with Error 12.

Does this model still need to use apple-set-efi or for any of the other controllers to be disabled?

Thanks!

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@haoshiro I have not used any Boot Camp workarounds for this build. How do you currently connect the RX 580 eGPU in Windows? I’ve found hot-plug does not work. 

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I ran DDU in safe mode, rebooted, then plugged in the eGPU, and installed the drivers. I then rebooted with it plugged in (left front).

I’ve tried hot plugging as well as switching ports and rebooting each time.

For the setup itself I used the .30 iso, then installed the boot camp drivers, then the .295 update. I created a system image at that time then ran DDU, etc.

So far I’ve tried using automate efi and disabling various tb3 controllers with reboots in between (both keeping it connected and hot plugging).

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Did you use Radeon drivers downloaded from AMD website directly? I used the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. We have different reports such as your RX 580 eGPU with error 12, my RX 5700 XT eGPU working with non-functional RP 5500M dGPU, and @alvin_de_cruz‘s unknown Radeon eGPU with functional RP 5500M dGPU.

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I used the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, the Adrenaline Red Nov 2019 release.

Edit: Does it matter which port it’s plugged in to?

It works fine on my Mid-2015 MBP on the latest official Recommended drivers but that’s with efi boot on 1809 with a tb3 to tb2 adapter.

Once I get this working I can sell my Mid-2015

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The port doesn’t make a difference in my observation. I tried three different sets of modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com tonight. The RX 5700 XT eGPU worked every single time. However Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU remained non-functional with these drivers. 

I tested the setup more last night and hot-plug in Windows Desktop does work (with OS Build 18362.295). It’s not always consistent though and sometimes the eGPU doesn’t actually function even when it shows up in Device Manager and AMD XConnect icon notification appears.

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I will try again soon as I have wiped out Boot Camp and reinstalled, this time with Win 10 Pro and updated to .295

If I don't have any luck this time I may be looking into buying a 5700XT in that case as much as I don't want to drop that much on a new card.

I'll boot into safe mode, run DDU, shut down, plug in the Core X, reboot and install the BCD drivers and cross my fingers. 🙂

death to self

ReplyQuote
VR4EVER
(@vr4ever)

@itsage

I know it seems a lot to ask of you but even after reading a lot on eGPU.io I am still very much confused on how to get into building a VR capable Mac Book Pro for Bootcamp. Maybe you can help me or point me into the right direction?

My equipment: 16"MBP, 2.4 i9, 32GB RAM, basic graphicscard. eGPU enclosing would be the Razer Core X. Graphics Card would be either a 5700XT or RTX2070 Super or 2080 Super. Maybe even a 2080Ti?

My understanding is that I need a more powerfull graphics card than in a native PC build because of the eGPU and bootcamp. And though VR needs a lot of power it should be sufficient to have like 4k/90fps.

I am completely new to this but I have build several PCs in the past (although it was in the 90s).

I don't know if its better to buy a PC at this point, which would be around 1.500EUR just for having VR...

Thank you in advance, anything helps! 🙂

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@vr4ever Nvidia eGPU is much easier to setup than AMD eGPU in Boot Camp. I’m not sure of the VR requirements for your needs so get the best card you can afford would be the way to go imo.

ReplyQuote
VR4EVER
(@vr4ever)

@itsage

I see, thank you. I might as well get a PC just for VR then, considering the costs of a more powerful GPU. Still, I might want to try the eGPU route. Curiosity is what drives me sometimes...

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
benvp
(@benvp)

@itsage

having the same issues described by @hoashiro. I installed bootcamp, booted into safe mode, DDU uninstall the AMD drivers and afterwards I installed the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (November release, Reg Gaming Drivers). I'm also stuck with error 12. Tried deactivating all kind of PCI Express slots (16x/8x) but still Error 12. Also tried the automate egpu efi setup, but the issue remains the same. 

I'm running a Vega64 in a Razer Core X on a 2019 16 Inch, 2,4 Ghz, 64 GB, 2TB, 5500M 8GB... This setup ran good on my late 2016 Macbook. Not sure what I'm missing 🙂 Windows Version is 18362.30... freshly installed.

Update: Thanks for updating your article. I followed the steps exactly and did a fresh install. Anyway, I'm always experiencing Error 12 🙁 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@itsage

I have the same config as @benvp [16-inch i9, 64GB, 5500 8 GB, 1 TB] [Akitio Node, Vega RX 64 8 GB]. I have tried installing windows 1903 .30 at least 3 times now and I keep running into error 12. On my last attempt, I installed windows, installed bootcamp drivers, reboot, DDU uninstall (not in safe mode), reboot, hot-plug egpu, install drivers that I downloaded from bootcampdrivers.com and before the installation could complete my laptop screen went black. I waited for a while assuming that the setup was running in the background and then did a hard reboot. On every reboot I would end up with a black screen (w or w/o egpu). 

Everything works perfectly in macOS. 

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro (i9/1TB/64GB/5500 - 8GB). Akitio Node (Corsair SF600) - Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Would love to see an Nvidia build with the new MacBook, would it be possible to have both Gpu functioning?

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Once the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box arrives, I will pair it up to this 16″ MacBook Pro right away. It would work through hot-plug without any workarounds. Internal display acceleration should also work with the Apple Boot Camp drivers for Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Would love to see an Nvidia build with the new MacBook, would it be possible to have both Gpu functioning?

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-16-macbook-pro-rp500m-9th8ch-rtx-2080-fe-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-chroma-win-10-1909-radeon-vii-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-v2-macos-10-15-1/

My build is essentially this, I only use the second egpu enclosure in windows so I can share peripherals, the Radeon VII is nonfunctional/disabled.  Only real quirks with the RTX 2080 in boot camp are:

1) You can't boot with the RTX enclosure attached, it hangs on the apple logo and the laptop itself gets hot. (this is why my peripherals are plugged into my "MacOS" egpu, when I am done using windows I disconnect the RTX card and the Radeon VII enclosure works perfectly by itself, if the laptop were to go down for updates or blue screens and reboots I don't have to worry about it getting hung up and grinding its gears at the boot screen.

2) It *usually* loses Bluetooth functionality in boot camp.  Often times when I hotplug the RTX card in it takes a minute or so to fully initialize the Card and any usb peripherals reset themselves (rgb on keyboard and mouse turn off then turn back on, I get notifications that drives are attached again, etc), and when it finishes, the Bluetooth icon on the taskbar is gone, and in the device manager the "Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator" device is yellow banged with error 10.  This doesn't always happen, as I type this every device inside or attached to the MacBook Pro is working, including Bluetooth.  I have not been able to figure out what causes this to happen.

3) The Internal display works fine, using the included bootcamp Radeon Pro drivers.  The Radeon Pro Settings control panel sometimes does not work after plugging in the nvidia egpu.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Performance is great, in Windows the 2080 is noticeably faster than the Radeon VII was, especially when trying to push games past 60fps for the 120hz Samsung. 

Performance undocked is fantastic too, a huge improvement, although the apple-released radeon pro drivers have some issues in games. 

That having been said, when using the egpu, its hard to tell the difference gaming between the 2018 13 inch w/ i7 and the 2019 16 inch with i9.  I primarily upgraded because I wanted something that I could do more gaming with while mobile.

This post was modified 1 week ago

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@ningauble77 that’s super interesting too! I prefer the smaller form factor but assumed the cpu in the 16 inch would push a fair few extra frames, but obviously not! Thanks for the replies...

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I bought PES19 on Black Friday and have been playing non-stop this weekend. The RX 5700 XT eGPU actually struggles a bit running the game at 4K with highest settings. I also organized this testing station to mount the LG 4K FreeSync monitor. 😀 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

I’ve found PES to favor NVIDIA eGPUs (at least when I last checked with PES 18). It just never ran smoothly for me on AMD (microstutters and the like). Guess that’s changed. 

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
devdevs
(@devdevs)

@itsage

Thanks for this post!

I have a 2019 16” MbPRo with 5500M.

As far as I can see i can’t have both dGPU and eGPU functional in the Bootcamp right?

I want to be able to game with dGPU when using just a laptop.

But also, sometimes I would like to plug it in to my eGPU (Razer Core X Vega 64) to use it with the external monitor. Currently not interested in internal monitor acceleration. The laptopt can be docked with closed lid.

With current versions of modified drivers is this setup possible?

Razer Core X / Sapphire Vega 64
Macbook Pro 13" 2017 (Non-Touch Bar) i5 / 16GB / 512GB
Macbook Pro 16” 2019 i9 / 32GB / 2TB / 8GB Radeon Pro 5500m
Mac OS Catalina / Windows 10 1903 (Bootcamp)
LG Ultrafine 4K 24” - Thunderbolt 3 (Mac OS) / Huawei VR 2 DP Connection (Bootcamp > eGPU)

ReplyQuote
benvp
(@benvp)

@devdevs

With the current drivers from bootcampdrivers.com running both the 5500M and an AMD eGPU is currently not possible. Did you manage yet to get the Vega 64 running without Error 12 in Bootcamp? I'm still stuck with that and did try everything I can imagine. Thinking about getting an rtx 2080 s as I only need to eGPU for gaming and won't run it in macOS. The AMD / Apple/ Bootcamp / eGPU  combo is quite annoying and (at least for me) never runs reliable.

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@benvp

Did you try connecting the egpu before installing the bootcamp drivers? I am going to try this tomorrow and see what happens. 

I recently switched from nvidia to amd to avoid these problems since I need the egpu in both, windows and macos.  This is so frustrating. 

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro (i9/1TB/64GB/5500 - 8GB). Akitio Node (Corsair SF600) - Vega 64

ReplyQuote
benvp
(@benvp)

@akash4393

Yeah, I did. I think I tried everything I can imagine and ended up in giving up. I have no idea what's going wrong and how to fix it. I will now wait for the next bootcampdrivers and check if the error goes away afterwards. If not, I will switch to an nvidia card.

ReplyQuote
devdevs
(@devdevs)

@benvp

I have the same problem with Error 12. I believe it’s because I’m running the latest version of Windows 10. Have you tried the build number that @itsage suggested in this post?

I might stay with dGPU for now and wait for the drivers to get better. 

Razer Core X / Sapphire Vega 64
Macbook Pro 13" 2017 (Non-Touch Bar) i5 / 16GB / 512GB
Macbook Pro 16” 2019 i9 / 32GB / 2TB / 8GB Radeon Pro 5500m
Mac OS Catalina / Windows 10 1903 (Bootcamp)
LG Ultrafine 4K 24” - Thunderbolt 3 (Mac OS) / Huawei VR 2 DP Connection (Bootcamp > eGPU)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I’m hoping @mat_hd will have the modified December drivers shortly after AMD releases their 19.12.1 version. Once that happens we can likely use both dGPU and eGPU together.

@mac_editor Thank you for the feedback. I will try with a comparable Nvidia eGPU and see whether the game performs similarly. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Or we could modify the driver ourselves, with the caveat being that we need a production Microsoft certificate (same situation as @mat_hd). Though for testing purposes, we can do this with test signing mode. Here’s a guide that should work in similar fashion for newer AMD drivers: http://freqnode.com/hack-the-latest-amd-gpu-drivers-into-bootcamp/

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor That’s an excellent idea! How do we start with obtaining the production Microsoft certificate? I found this article but not sure of the entire process yet.

ReplyQuote
 of  2