2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  11
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Windows software support for the 2019 16" MacBook Pro became available today. I installed through Boot Camp Assistant using Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO. This ISO contains version 18362.30 which is safe from error 12 that occurs in the latest Win10 versions. My early observation is that the cooling profile in Boot Camp is not as good as macOS. The cooling fans don't run as aggressive or often compared to macOS. The processor would reach 99° C rather quick in Windows.

System specs:

2019 16" MacBook Pro - i9-9880H/HD Graphics 630 iGPU & Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS ROG XG Station 2 + PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + ASUS FHD USB-C Portable Monitor

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In macOS 10.15.1 and newer, the XG Station 2 + RX 5700 XT eGPU was plug-and-play. In Windows 10, besides choosing the right version [1903 18362.30-.295 discussion], we'd need modified Radeon graphics drivers from BootCampdrivers.com because Radeon Pro dGPU uses Blue/Pro drivers while most Radeon eGPUs use Red/Gaming drivers. Currently the latest drivers on bootcampdrivers.com do not work with the Radeon Pro 5300M/5500M dGPU in the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro. Hopefully @Mat_hd will have them incorporated in December version.

To avoid driver conflicts and black internal display when the eGPU connected at boot, I use DDU to remove the stock Boot Camp graphics drivers. The dGPU works partially without Radeon drivers (no graphics acceleration). It shows up in Windows as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". The internal display runs at a slower refresh rate (~30Hz) but brightness control works. Due to no drivers for the dGPU, Windows Hybrid graphics for internal display acceleration through the RX 5700 XT eGPU is not possible. I connected the eGPU to the ASUS USB-C portable monitor using the Huawei VR-2 DisplayPort to USB-C cable.

Unique to the 2018-2019 MacBook Pros (both 15" & 16") is the non-functional Intel UHD Graphics iGPU. Even though apple_set_os.efi or rEFInd spoof can activate the iGPU in Boot Camp, the internal display cannot function when it attaches to the iGPU. Doing so would cause flashing white dots then black screen in Windows. Currently we don't have any workarounds for these MacBook Pros. This is most consistent setup and boot-up procedure:

1. Install Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (version 19362.30) through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]
  2. Install DDU to remove all graphics drivers and disable Windows automated driver installation [in Windows]
  3. Confirm 1x Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (Radeon Pro dGPU) in Device Manager [in Windows]
  4. Hot-plug Radeon eGPU then download and install modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com [in Windows]
  5. Shut the MacBook Pro down instead of [Restart Now] prompt by Radeon Installer [in Windows]

If all goes well the Radeon eGPU should start working at next Windows 10 boot-up. I have had success with both cold-plug and hot-plug. I have not experienced error 12 with the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro so far. If you do, try a clean Boot Camp install using Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO [1903 18362.30-.295 discussion] then follow step 1-5 above.

Benchmarks:

I ran Unigine and 3DMark benchmarks through the external USB-C monitor. No Radeon Pro dGPU benchmarks for now due to only Boot Camp graphics drivers available. I will try Radeon Pro drivers from AMD website and see if those work with the dGPU.

RP 5500M dGPU RX 5700 XT eGPU

Comments:

The numbers don't look bad but they could be better if thermal throttling wasn't an issue. This was with the Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU not being used at all. During CineBench R20, the CPU could not sustain clock speed higher than 3.2GHz, much lower than the same test in macOS.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ojasjoshi
(@ojasjoshi)

Hey @itsage I'm new here.  I own a 2016 15 MacBook Pro base model (i7 6700HQ, RP450 ). I don't really know about E-GPU Enclosures. The country in which I live in ( India ) has the Gigabyte Gaming Box enclosure available. Now I'm confused on which version to buy. There are basically 2 versions 1) 1070 and 2) rx580. I don't really get which to buy. Could you please help me with it. Which version is better ? Which is easy to setup with ? also is hot plugging a thing in windows ? and what are the tradeoffs ? I'm just a student. Might have put this in the wrong forum post. But yeah just help me please.

15 MacBook Pro 2016 - i7-6700HQ , RP450

Confused between. rx580 and gtx1070 as that's what I can afford. enclosure - Gigabyte Gaming Box ( NOT BOUGHT YET ). Please help me in making a decision.

ReplyQuote
Alvin De Cruz
(@alvin_de_cruz)

The drivers on bcd.com are working with the MBP 16 (adrenaline red gaming nov 19 Drivers) Mine’s a 5500m

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Is Radeon Image Sharpening available for the dGPU? 

This post was modified 11 months ago
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Nice work with the windows instal, I was worried the goal posts may have moved again but it appears not!

does Mac fans control app not work in windows (due to t2?)?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alvin De Cruz
(@alvin_de_cruz)

@alec

Yes it’s available. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @alvin_de_cruz

@alec

Yes it’s available. 

That's pretty neat. You might be able to lower your games to 80% native resolution and play games at a higher frame rate with little to no quality impact.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ojasjoshi I'd recommend the RX 580 Gaming Box so that you can use it in both macOS and Windows Boot Camp. I paired an identical eGPU build last year with some benchmark numbers in macOS and Windows. The Boot Camp eGPU setup process is more challenging on this model than most Macs but it's worth it. Make sure you go to our DSDT Overrides Repository and download the matching AML file for your MacBook Pro which has the Radeon Pro 450.

@alvin_de_cruz Good to hear the BCD drivers work for your 2019 16" MacBook Pro. Can you provide more details of the installation process and specs of your eGPU setup? As described in my build, I ran DDU first to remove the stock Boot Camp graphics drivers. Connected the RX 5700 XT eGPU so that both dGPU and eGPU showed up in Device Manager as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". I used the Nov Radeon drivers from BCD (19.11.1) but only the RX 5700 XT eGPU loaded them.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I'm trying to get my 16" i9 5500M (stock) working with my Core X and RX 580.  I have 1903 V1 .295 installed, used DDU to remove the Boot Camp drivers, connected the Core X and installed the Adrenaline  Red Nov 2019 drivers. But I'm stuck with Error 12.

Does this model still need to use apple-set-efi or for any of the other controllers to be disabled?

Thanks!

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@haoshiro I have not used any Boot Camp workarounds for this build. How do you currently connect the RX 580 eGPU in Windows? I've found hot-plug does not work. 

ReplyQuote
 of  11