Setup & Software Discussions
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Bootcamp drivers are more modded than just that example in the linked article are they not?

Thats a terrible sentence, I blame my tiredness. Matt works some extra magic to get dual GPUs working does he not?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

I tried looking for it as well and it doesn't seem straightforward. Basically one has to use a root authority such as Verisign to obtain the keys, then follow the guide you linked to generate the certificate.

If you look at the driver patch guide link, the only difference would be in Step 6, where to digitally sign the files, we just need to switch out the certificate for a production one. IMO the easiest solution without spending a penny is this:

1. Patch AMD drivers as per the guide.
  2. Instead of enabling test signing mode, hold Shift while rebooting Windows to access Windows Advanced Boot Options.
  3. Reboot with driver signature enforcement disabled.
  4. Install the modified drivers.
  5. Reboot normally. I believe the drivers should be functional but do not have empirical evidence to prove this myself, even with signing now enabled.
    A quick reference to AMD's official suggestion: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb99

Note: You might run into an issue where AMD drivers might refuse to install on a system with driver signature enforcement disabled (I think I saw this long back) - but again, can't say for sure.

To make the drivers more versatile, add the Device IDs for all the AMD dGPUs (supported in the driver version) inside Macs.

@eightarmedpet Multiple GPUs are already natively supported by Windows drivers as far as I know. The issue eGPU setups have faced is more akin to driver clashes instead (bootcamp driver vs. stock AMD driver). Of course, these is as you say more magic involved especially with just getting the AMD dGPU appropriately functional (black screen issues, etc.), but it does not hurt (besides time) to experiment with the minimum viable procedure for the 16-inch MBP, even if only for educational reasons. Mat also goes far and beyond to register his drivers to enable a seamless installation experience for users, so props to him for all the work.

This post was modified 1 week ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
benvp
(@benvp)

@devdevs

Yep I tried basically every windows Version out there. Starting from the 1903 build all subversions which are supported stated in the error 12 update discussion linked above, 1809, 1909,... 

I'm not getting what might cause the issue  @itsage du you think the next drivers might solve error 12 ? Is there any clue or did this happen in the past from prior releases?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@benvp Error 12 with eGPU use has been a lingering issues for a long time. I’m unsure why some 2019 16″ MBP users are experiencing error 12. I have tried mine with all kinds of Radeon cards and as long as the Win10 version is within 18362.30 to .295, the AMD eGPU works through both hot-plug in Windows Desktop and cold-plug prior to boot up. Of course there are steps prior to getting the eGPU to work properly but it’s a straight forward process [detailed in OP].

This post was modified 7 days ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I believe many of us with the problem have followed those steps precisely as well as tried many variations in hopes of a solution. I’ve reinstalled windows far too many times and even tried various ISOs.

There must be some commonality such as different components in some models. Perhaps we could investigate this further. So far the dGPU RAM does not seem to be a factor (both 4GB and 8GB can exhibit the issue).

Im glad to help but not sure where to start. Is the related to the tb3 controller hardware, port config, or something we could all compare?

death to self

ReplyQuote
jehartzog
(@jehartzog)

I've tried everything listed above here, with the addition of going back to Windows 1809. I gave that a shot since my 2016 MBP 15" on 1809 was working fine (refind setup with dGPU disabled) with both my RX 580 and recently purchased RX 5700 XT.

Current laptop is 2019 16" MBP, 4 GB dGPU RAM, 32 GB RAM, i9 2.3 GHz on macOS 10.15.1. I couldn't get past the code 12, tried disabling almost every possible resource that wouldn't crash the laptop. Happened with both RX 580 and RX 5700 XT I'm following closely and am willing to dive into this to get it working.

- 2019 MBP 16", i9 2.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 4 GB dGPU
- RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@haoshiro @benvp

Something that I suspect might be causing the issue is connecting to wifi during windows installation. Did you try installing windows without connecting to wifi? I’ll try this now and see what happens. 

Apart from this, the only difference between @itsage’s MacBook and our MacBook is the size of RAM. Maybe something is not right with 64 GB model? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@akash4393

I have the base 16GB i9 4GB dGPU model purchased from Best Buy. I believe I did try without WiFi but at this point am not 100% certain. 

death to self

ReplyQuote
benvp
(@benvp)

@akash4393

I tried that just now. I ended up in having error 12. I also tried installing the graphic drivers before even install anything from the boot camp support software to make sure none of the other drivers were causing the issue. But the result was the same. 

There is an AMD December Driver release package. I handpicked the driver from the drivers folder in the new december release - but the result is the same. 

I think it has to do something with apple having different hardware components in the 16“ MacBook. I'm not even sure if an nvidia card will work properly on the affected macbooks. Has anybody from the error 12 affected people the possibility to test/confirm this?

Could it also be caused by the enclosure? I'm running a Razer Core X

This post was modified 7 days ago

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@benvp

I’m also using a Razer Core X. I have ordered a 1070 but bad weather delayed the shipment until 12/12

death to self

ReplyQuote
(@mat_hd)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@itsage

Or we could modify the driver ourselves, with the caveat being that we need a production Microsoft certificate (same situation as @mat_hd). Though for testing purposes, we can do this with test signing mode. Here’s a guide that should work in similar fashion for newer AMD drivers: http://freqnode.com/hack-the-latest-amd-gpu-drivers-into-bootcamp/

That method can work with only minor issues for some mac graphics cards e.g. M200 series and radeon 400/500 series cards and possibly the new 5000 m series cards. Note though that it won't work on m300 series and many vega-based cards. 

itsage and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
wsjnohyeah
(@wsjnohyeah)

@benvp

I am using a Razor Core X as well. Tried all kinds of solutions, could not get my 5700 XT to work on windows 1903

ReplyQuote
(@buh_khuu)
Trusted Member

Hi, I’m closely watching the progress of this problem. Since I’m interested to upgrade my 15 inch 2018 macbook to a 2019 16 inch one, but i dont want to break my setup with incompatible egpu (Core X Vega 56). 

I saw this driver on AMDs website, a 5500m driver under ‘normal/gaming’ graphics section. And not under the professional graphics section. Which made me wonder, maybe the new adrenalin drivers are able to support both 5500m and vega56/VII cards at the same time. I dont know, just throwing up a ball, maybe someone could test this? Thanks in advance!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500m

2018 15" MacBook Pro I7-8850H RP560X
Razer Core X with Sapphire Radeon Vega 56
Dual LG 4K Monitors (27UD88 and 27UD69)
Running MacOS Catalina and Windows 1903 non optional update

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@benvp

So last night I tried the following steps:

• Install 1903 using bootcamp
  • Install bootcamp drivers
  • Reboot
  • DDU - remove amd drivers
  • Install bootcampdrivers.com modified driver
  • Black screen during installation
  • On reboot, the window loading screen appears on laptop display. External displays connected to the GPU flicker. Black screen on laptop and external
  • I can still login (press space, type my password, press enter) but the display remains black.
  • Now I have a completely broken windows installation (But on the bright side, at least it was a different result than the error 12 in device manager)

This is frustrating. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @buh_khuu

Hi, I’m closely watching the progress of this problem. Since I’m interested to upgrade my 15 inch 2018 macbook to a 2019 16 inch one, but i dont want to break my setup with incompatible egpu (Core X Vega 56). 

I saw this driver on AMDs website, a 5500m driver under ‘normal/gaming’ graphics section. And not under the professional graphics section. Which made me wonder, maybe the new adrenalin drivers are able to support both 5500m and vega56/VII cards at the same time. I dont know, just throwing up a ball, maybe someone could test this? Thanks in advance!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500m

I tried those drivers last night on my 2019 16-in MacBook Pro. They don’t work for the Radeon Pro 5300M/5500M dGPU.

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

I received my 1070 early and just swapped out my RX580 with it in Windows. It detected it and installed the drivers and came on (external display) first attempt.

If it's plugged in during boot it will result in Error 12 so in my case it requires being hot plugged. I also noticed that my BT mouse stops working when connected.

I am using both the Apple Wireless Keyboard as well as a Logitech MX Master 2S via Bluetooth. This makes me suspicious of the BT controller.

Do any of you that have issues with your AMD cards also use any BT devices? I'm wondering if disabling BT and perhaps WiFi might alleviate the issue based on these results.

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@haoshiro I use Microsoft Xbox controller through bluetooth. I connect it right before launching a game. There’s no connection issues so far. My Logitech mouse is through the 2.4 GHz wireless adapter (via Mantiz Venus USB port). 

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

Only my mouse has the issue and in Device Manager there is a warning on a 'low power HID bluetooth' device. Mouse works fine with the 2.4GHz adapter and fine over BT when the Core X is not connected.

The keyboard works fine over BT and so does my Nintendo Pro Controller, also over BT. So it could be relegated to only the MX Master.

Clearly it's not the Core X itself with the issue, just when I put my RX580 in it. At this point I might even update to 1909.  Although I'd still be tempted to sell of this 1070 if I could get the RX580 working so I'll hold on to it for a couple months and hope a solution is found.

death to self

ReplyQuote
(@james-r10)

I have a 16 as per signature  and can’t get it working under any combination :/

@akash4393 I have the same issue with the black screen. Did you ever manage to resolve this?

It looks like it works, external display powers on, then reboot it works fine but then suddenly the external goes off and now it boots up and hangs all the time sometimes with the external on and sometimes off..

Posted by: @haoshiro

I received my 1070 early and just swapped out my RX580 with it in Windows. It detected it and installed the drivers and came on (external display) first attempt.

If it's plugged in during boot it will result in Error 12 so in my case it requires being hot plugged. I also noticed that my BT mouse stops working when connected.

I am using both the Apple Wireless Keyboard as well as a Logitech MX Master 2S via Bluetooth. This makes me suspicious of the BT controller.

Do any of you that have issues with your AMD cards also use any BT devices? I'm wondering if disabling BT and perhaps WiFi might alleviate the issue based on these results.

For me Bluetooth doesn’t seem to work either..

This post was modified 2 days ago

16 MBP 9980HK / 64GB / 2 TB / 5500M / Razer Core X Chroma / 5700 XT OC

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@james-r10

Nope. Based on the fact that 1070 worked on the first attempt, I’m guessing this is a driver issue. I guess we’ll just have to wait for the next release and try again. 

this is extremely disappointing. A few months ago I swapped my 1070 for a vega 64 because I needed egpu support in windows and mac both. 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@james-r10)

Posted by: @akash4393

@james-r10

Nope. Based on the fact that 1070 worked on the first attempt, I’m guessing this is a driver issue. I guess we’ll just have to wait for the next release and try again. 

this is extremely disappointing. A few months ago I swapped my 1070 for a vega 64 because I needed egpu support in windows and mac both. 🙁

Suddenly mine has started to work both on hot and cold boot. Only thing that doesn’t work is Bluetooth, so I have to use my gaming mouse and keyboard.

all Good without much fuss now except stopping Windows updates.

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@james-r10

Woah! Nice. Can you please share what you did to get it to work? Windows version, drivers version and steps you followed. 

ReplyQuote
(@james-r10)

Posted by: @akash4393

@james-r10

Woah! Nice. Can you please share what you did to get it to work? Windows version, drivers version and steps you followed. 

I followed the steps by itsage, the windows version of 1903 was the key. I then immediately disabled updated by local group policy. I kept getting black screen, so I stopped cold booting and hot booting and now cold and hot booting works great.

making  sure to use DDU to stop auto drivers updates.

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@james-r10

I'm sorry I couldn't follow. So my understanding is you did the following:

• Install windows 1903
  • Disable windows update
  • Install bootcamp drivers
  • Reboot 
  • Run DDU (not in safe mode)
  • Install bootcamp.com drivers
  • Black screen (during install)
  • Shut down by holding power button
  • Boot and hot-plug egpu after a few seconds

Is this correct?

ReplyQuote
(@james-r10)

@akash4393

Correct. Only difference is don’t choose the restart offers by the the AMD driver install for boot camp drivers. Click close and shutdown instead in windows.

ReplyQuote
(@akash4393)

@james-r10

Alright. I'll try this soon! 🤞

ReplyQuote
(@jon_meadows)

@akash4393

I also switched from a Nvidia card in hopes of having a egpu that worked for both macos and windows. My gtx1080 (Aorus gaming box) worked without DDU and on windows 1909 no error 12. 

System specs: 2019 16″ MacBook Pro – i9-9880HK/Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB/32GB RAM/2TB SSD

Now I have a rx 5700 xt in a razer core x. As expected windows 1909 gave me error 12 

I followed the OP steps but it was no different in 1903 (.30 or .295)

Things I tried:

• Installed windows 1903 (tried home and pro)
  • Paused windows update
  • Disabled windows update with gpedit.msc
  • Installed .295 update (also tried without installing this update)
  • Installed bootcamp drivers
  • Ran DDU with the disable Windows automated driver installation option (Tried in safe mode and not in safe mode )
  • dGPU shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter 
  • Installed bootcampdrivers.com amd drivers (tried the non-vega and vega november edition drivers, got black screen once but after getting the internal display to work again i found out the egpu still had error 12)
  • Shut down manually and not through the driver installer prompt
  • Tried hot plugging and cold plugging, egpu shows in devices as rx 570o xt, still error 12

Just posting what I did in case it helps us get to a solution or in the least helps someone else save some time troubleshooting. I'm glad itsage and james-r10 got it working, it gives me hope that it is solvable. 

This post was modified 6 hours ago

16 MBP 9980HK / 32GB / 2 TB / 5500M 8GB / Razer Core X / 5700 XT & GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
 of  2