2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  11
  RSS

Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I ran DDU in safe mode, rebooted, then plugged in the eGPU, and installed the drivers. I then rebooted with it plugged in (left front).

I’ve tried hot plugging as well as switching ports and rebooting each time.

For the setup itself I used the .30 iso, then installed the boot camp drivers, then the .295 update. I created a system image at that time then ran DDU, etc.

So far I’ve tried using automate efi and disabling various tb3 controllers with reboots in between (both keeping it connected and hot plugging).

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Did you use Radeon drivers downloaded from AMD website directly? I used the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. We have different reports such as your RX 580 eGPU with error 12, my RX 5700 XT eGPU working with non-functional RP 5500M dGPU, and @alvin_de_cruz's unknown Radeon eGPU with functional RP 5500M dGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I used the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, the Adrenaline Red Nov 2019 release.

Edit: Does it matter which port it’s plugged in to?

It works fine on my Mid-2015 MBP on the latest official Recommended drivers but that’s with efi boot on 1809 with a tb3 to tb2 adapter.

Once I get this working I can sell my Mid-2015

This post was modified 9 months ago

death to self

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The port doesn't make a difference in my observation. I tried three different sets of modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com tonight. The RX 5700 XT eGPU worked every single time. However Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU remained non-functional with these drivers. 

I tested the setup more last night and hot-plug in Windows Desktop does work (with OS Build 18362.295). It's not always consistent though and sometimes the eGPU doesn't actually function even when it shows up in Device Manager and AMD XConnect icon notification appears.

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I will try again soon as I have wiped out Boot Camp and reinstalled, this time with Win 10 Pro and updated to .295

If I don't have any luck this time I may be looking into buying a 5700XT in that case as much as I don't want to drop that much on a new card.

I'll boot into safe mode, run DDU, shut down, plug in the Core X, reboot and install the BCD drivers and cross my fingers. Smile

death to self

ReplyQuote
VR4EVER
(@vr4ever)

@itsage

I know it seems a lot to ask of you but even after reading a lot on eGPU.io I am still very much confused on how to get into building a VR capable Mac Book Pro for Bootcamp. Maybe you can help me or point me into the right direction?

My equipment: 16"MBP, 2.4 i9, 32GB RAM, basic graphicscard. eGPU enclosing would be the Razer Core X. Graphics Card would be either a 5700XT or RTX2070 Super or 2080 Super. Maybe even a 2080Ti?

My understanding is that I need a more powerfull graphics card than in a native PC build because of the eGPU and bootcamp. And though VR needs a lot of power it should be sufficient to have like 4k/90fps.

I am completely new to this but I have build several PCs in the past (although it was in the 90s).

I don't know if its better to buy a PC at this point, which would be around 1.500EUR just for having VR...

Thank you in advance, anything helps! Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vr4ever Nvidia eGPU is much easier to setup than AMD eGPU in Boot Camp. I'm not sure of the VR requirements for your needs so get the best card you can afford would be the way to go imo.

ReplyQuote
VR4EVER
(@vr4ever)

@itsage

I see, thank you. I might as well get a PC just for VR then, considering the costs of a more powerful GPU. Still, I might want to try the eGPU route. Curiosity is what drives me sometimes...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
benvp
(@benvp)

@itsage

having the same issues described by @hoashiro. I installed bootcamp, booted into safe mode, DDU uninstall the AMD drivers and afterwards I installed the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (November release, Reg Gaming Drivers). I'm also stuck with error 12. Tried deactivating all kind of PCI Express slots (16x/8x) but still Error 12. Also tried the automate egpu efi setup, but the issue remains the same. 

I'm running a Vega64 in a Razer Core X on a 2019 16 Inch, 2,4 Ghz, 64 GB, 2TB, 5500M 8GB... This setup ran good on my late 2016 Macbook. Not sure what I'm missing Smile Windows Version is 18362.30... freshly installed.

Update: Thanks for updating your article. I followed the steps exactly and did a fresh install. Anyway, I'm always experiencing Error 12 🙁 

ReplyQuote
akash4393
(@akash4393)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I have the same config as @benvp [16-inch i9, 64GB, 5500 8 GB, 1 TB] [Akitio Node, Vega RX 64 8 GB]. I have tried installing windows 1903 .30 at least 3 times now and I keep running into error 12. On my last attempt, I installed windows, installed bootcamp drivers, reboot, DDU uninstall (not in safe mode), reboot, hot-plug egpu, install drivers that I downloaded from bootcampdrivers.com and before the installation could complete my laptop screen went black. I waited for a while assuming that the setup was running in the background and then did a hard reboot. On every reboot I would end up with a black screen (w or w/o egpu). 

Everything works perfectly in macOS. 

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro (i9/1TB/64GB/5500 - 8GB). Akitio Node (Corsair SF600) - Vega 64

2014 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.14.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  11