2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Quadro P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Cor...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Quadro P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909  

RSS

Jung Yeop Steve Kim
(@jung_yeop_steve_kim)

Hello everyone. I don't see a lot of Quadro builds here, so just dropping it to show that it works!

System specs:

2019 16" MacBook Pro

i9-9980H

Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD

Windows 10 Education 1909

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma + Quadro P4000 + Included Cable

Hardware pictures

Can't upload yet...

Installation steps

This was actually super easy to install; so much easier then my first build (which was with TB2 on rMBP mid-2012 w 980Ti):

- Install Windows 10 with Boot Camp Assistant

- Install all Boot Camp drivers

- Boot w/o eGPU, then download Nvidia drivers

- Install Nvidia drivers

- Press "Restart", when computer shuts off, unplug eGPU, after logging back in, plug in eGPU

- Good to go!

Make sure to plug in eGPU after boot!

Benchmarks 

Since this was for a SolidWorks build, I'll be sharing my SolidWorks Performance Test Results:

Name : 16 rMBP w/ P4000
Solidworks : 2019:5.0: x64
Computer : Apple Inc.:MacBookPro16,1
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz [Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13] (16 processors)
RealView : 7.1
Graphics : NVIDIA Quadro P4000
Ram : 32660
Hard Disk : 2001:SCSI

SolidWorks Performance Test (sec) (overall= cpu + Graphics + I/O)

Overall=61.0    Cpu= 26.1   Graphics=8.4    I/O=26.6
Render=6.9    Simulation=69.1

Comments 

Surprisingly easy to install! I had to cut the included PCI-E port cover on the Core X Chroma, since its hole pattern does not support single-slot cards. I cut it in half with the top portion intact, and then used it to clamp down the card, and now it is super sturdy.

This topic was modified 12 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Quadro P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@jung_yeop_steve_kim

Which version and build of Windows are you running?

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jung Yeop Steve Kim
(@jung_yeop_steve_kim)

@mini-i5

I am currently running Windows 10 Education with all the latest updates; so I would say 1909.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Quadro P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
snowman
(@snowman)

Hey @jung_yeop_steve_kim

nice setup, I have a similar one. At the moment I try if a Quardo Card is better for CAD Software especially Rhino and Vray than a GTX. I do tests with a M4000 and a RTX 2060 super FE. It seems to me that the Quardo Card is doing a better job - even if the specs for the 2060 are way better. 

With the RTX2060 I always get the error87: load library failed. Do you have it as well? Or does anyone know what it means exactly?

I don't know if it's because of the newer cards or the consumer series (GTX).

So I wonder if it's worth buying a RTX4000 for Rhino and Vray since the M4000 now is a bit outdated.

Thank you in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Jung Yeop Steve Kim
(@jung_yeop_steve_kim)

@snowman, I think for professional CAD hardware, regardless of the specs, due to the specialized drivers, Quadros outperform similarly specced GeForce cards (although they are much more expensive).

My installation went without a hitch, almost like a plug-and-play. Very satisfied with how easy it was. The error code 87 may be easier to find solutions to on other people from the forum; I'm sure that someone has tried to try out an RTX 2060 Super. Most eGPU setups here are based on consumer grade cards.

I have seen that the P4000 was a big jump from M4000, but the RTX4000 did not seem like a big jump from P4000. My outlook was that for most CAD operations in a professional setting, the P4000 would be good enough.

snowman liked
ReplyQuote
snowman
(@snowman)

Hey Jung Yeop Steve Kim , sorry for late reply. Had a lot to do for my job, so there wasn't that much free time unfortunately. However thanks a lot for your answer.

What I managed to do, finding a pretty good deal on ebay for a RTX 4000 😉 It's on its way now and hopefully there will be a bit more free time to get a build post done for the community.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sean Wu
(@sean_wu)

can you use it on macOS?

ReplyQuote
kimjungyeop
(@kimjungyeop)

@sean_wu, sadly, NVIDIA GPUs are not supported under MacOS.

ReplyQuote