2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Q P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X C...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Q P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909  

RSS

(@jung_yeop_steve_kim)

Hello everyone. I don't see a lot of Quadro builds here, so just dropping it to show that it works!

System specs:

2019 16" MacBook Pro

i9-9980H

Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD

Windows 10 Education 1909

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma + Quadro P4000 + Included Cable

Hardware pictures

Can't upload yet...

Installation steps

This was actually super easy to install; so much easier then my first build (which was with TB2 on rMBP mid-2012 w 980Ti):

- Install Windows 10 with Boot Camp Assistant

- Install all Boot Camp drivers

- Boot w/o eGPU, then download Nvidia drivers

- Install Nvidia drivers

- Press "Restart", when computer shuts off, unplug eGPU, after logging back in, plug in eGPU

- Good to go!

Make sure to plug in eGPU after boot!

Benchmarks 

Since this was for a SolidWorks build, I'll be sharing my SolidWorks Performance Test Results:

Name : 16 rMBP w/ P4000
Solidworks : 2019:5.0: x64
Computer : Apple Inc.:MacBookPro16,1
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz [Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13] (16 processors)
RealView : 7.1
Graphics : NVIDIA Quadro P4000
Ram : 32660
Hard Disk : 2001:SCSI

SolidWorks Performance Test (sec) (overall= cpu + Graphics + I/O)

Overall=61.0    Cpu= 26.1   Graphics=8.4    I/O=26.6
Render=6.9    Simulation=69.1

Comments 

Surprisingly easy to install! I had to cut the included PCI-E port cover on the Core X Chroma, since its hole pattern does not support single-slot cards. I cut it in half with the top portion intact, and then used it to clamp down the card, and now it is super sturdy.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@jung_yeop_steve_kim

Which version and build of Windows are you running?

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
(@jung_yeop_steve_kim)

@mini-i5

I am currently running Windows 10 Education with all the latest updates; so I would say 1909.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@snowman)

Hey @jung_yeop_steve_kim

nice setup, I have a similar one. At the moment I try if a Quardo Card is better for CAD Software especially Rhino and Vray than a GTX. I do tests with a M4000 and a RTX 2060 super FE. It seems to me that the Quardo Card is doing a better job - even if the specs for the 2060 are way better. 

With the RTX2060 I always get the error87: load library failed. Do you have it as well? Or does anyone know what it means exactly?

I don't know if it's because of the newer cards or the consumer series (GTX).

So I wonder if it's worth buying a RTX4000 for Rhino and Vray since the M4000 now is a bit outdated.

Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote
(@jung_yeop_steve_kim)

@snowman, I think for professional CAD hardware, regardless of the specs, due to the specialized drivers, Quadros outperform similarly specced GeForce cards (although they are much more expensive).

My installation went without a hitch, almost like a plug-and-play. Very satisfied with how easy it was. The error code 87 may be easier to find solutions to on other people from the forum; I'm sure that someone has tried to try out an RTX 2060 Super. Most eGPU setups here are based on consumer grade cards.

I have seen that the P4000 was a big jump from M4000, but the RTX4000 did not seem like a big jump from P4000. My outlook was that for most CAD operations in a professional setting, the P4000 would be good enough.

ReplyQuote