2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.4 & Win10 1903 // minor enclosure mod  

RSS

Ringholm
(@ringholm)

System specs

2019 16" MacBook Pro.

2.4GHz 8‑core Intel Core i9, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz, with 16MB shared L3 cache.

64GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM

AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory.

2TB SSD.

eGPU Hardware

Razer Core X Chroma.

XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Black Gaming Graphics Card with 16GB GDDR6, AMD RDNA™ 2.
Razer Raptor 27.

Required tools

A Torx-8 including bit set.

A screwdriver to add the Torx-8 bit.

A plier.

Pre-Installation Process (eGPU modification and card insertion)

1. Unfold the handle bar to unlock the Razer Core X Chroma and pull everything right out.
  2. Put the internals somewhere safe and return to the empty enclosure.
  3. Look inside the empty enclosure and remove the 5 x Torx-8 screws at the very back.
  4. The front cover will detach itself when the 5 screws are off.
  5. Put the front cover and the 5 screws somewhere safe.
  6. Turn the empty enclosure such that you are now facing it from where the front cover was.
  7. Break off the latch holding the Razer Core X Chroma front cover on the side towards the video card with the plier.
  8. Pick up the front cover and 3 out of the 5 screws from step 5.
  9. Place the front cover where it was and screw in the 3 screws.
  10. Pick up the internals from step 2.
  11. Remove Spacer/Previous Graphics Adapter.
  12. Add the XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT Speedster MERC 319 Black.
  13. Slide everything slowly back in and close the the Razer Core X Chroma handle with the new Graphics Adapter [1].

macOS Big Sur Guide

1. Plug and play. Compatible with Big Sur 11.4+.

Windows Guide

1. Unplug everything from your MacBook Pro besides the power (Don't use the enclosure to power your MacBook Pro at this point).
  2. Use Boot Camp Assistant in macOS to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 1903 V1 x64 (I used OS Build 18362.30 english international). Use this link - https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php .
  3. After Boot Camp Assistant is done installing it will boot into Windows 10. Set everything up as you like but don't connect to the internet yet. Just create a local account.
  4. When you eventually boot into Windows 10 you will be asked to install all of Apple's boot camp drivers. After installation completes, click Finish, then click No when you're asked to restart your MacBook Pro.
    It is likely that the installer will get stuck at the apple keyboard driver. If the installer gets stuck you might have to reboot your MacBook Pro. Just hold in the power button and let it turn off. Once its powered off you can power it back on. When you are back in windows then:
    From File Explorer, open the OSXRESERVED partition, which is usually the D drive.
    Open the BootCamp folder, then open Setup. Open Setup only from this folder.
    When you're asked to allow Boot Camp to make changes to your device, click Yes.
    Click Install/Repair to begin installation.
    After installation completes, click Finish, then click No when you're asked to restart your MacBook Pro [2].
  5. Before restarting disable Windows Auto Updates. Open Run and type in: gpedit.msc. Expand Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Double-click Configure Automatic Updates to make changes. Click the Enabled button and in the drop-down under Options choose "2 - Notify for download and auto install".
  6. Restart the MacBook Pro.
  7. Connect to the internet.
  8. Download the newest bootcampdrivers.
  9. Extract the bootcampdrivers ZIP file, go to inside the bootcampdrivers folder, extract the DDU ZIP file, go to the DDU folder and launch DDU. Change settings by selecting all of the AMD checkboxes. Select also the final checkbox "to not automatically update drivers". Go back to DDU app and select GPU and AMD. Press the button "clean and restart".
    Do not install any of the bootcampdrivers yet.
  10. After your MacBook Pro will again boot into Windows, connect the eGPU (Don't have anything else than a HDMI/Displayport or similar connected to the eGPU), and run the setup in the bootcampdriver folder to install the drivers. No fresh install was selected on my end.
  11. After installation process is done restart MacBook Pro (Remember to disconnect the eGPU).
  12. Enjoy your RX 6900 XT. You will need to disconnect your eGPU before going into windows but once you are back inside Windows you can reconnect the eGPU and it will take effect again (Note this might take up to 30 sec). You can keep it connected all the time when using Big Sur. You also don't need to use bootcampdrivers anymore in Windows. Just download the RX 6900 XT drivers from AMD website, launch the exe file which will unpack everything to C:\AMD folder. The installer/app will run but it will show/give you an error. Just close the installer/app again. Go to the Device Manager. Select your Display Adapter RX 6900 XT first. Go to properties > driver. Click the update driver button. Browse your computer for driver using the button "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer ...". Choose the option "Have a disk". Go to folder C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin...\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF and select this folder and complete installing the drivers.
  13. Restart the MacBook Pro (unplug the eGPU and once back in windows again plug in the eGPU). You can now also use all of the 4 X USB 3.1 Type-A in the Razer Core X Chroma [3].

UPDATE FROM SHO:
    You can download all updates but remember to keep your 1903 build. Right now Windows is automatically installing ALL updates (you can't choose anything on your own). If you restart and happen to see your eGPU not working then go to Settings > Update & Security > View updates history > Uninstall updates. Than uninstall "Feature pack update" you seeing there. That will push you back to 1903 working build when keeping all other security updates. EGPU will start working again.

Benchmark:

Please note that the Razer Raptor 27 monitor is connected to the Razer Core X Chroma enclosure with a displayport. The Razer Core X Chroma is connected to the MacBook Pro through the USB-C at the left upper USB-C interface (The interface closest to the MacBook Pro screen).
The lid of the MacBook Pro is opened but only the external screen is active.

All benchmarks were conducted in their default mode and by only having changed these settings in the Radeon Software:

Performance > Advisors > Gaming selected.

Performance > Tuning > Global Tuning > "Automatic" selected and Auto tuning on "Default".

Online 3dmark Time Spy demo score

Online 3dmark Fire Strike demo score

Acknowledgments:

Thanks are due to Sho, Darkjz and Apple support for useful build and modification guides.

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.4 & Win10 1903 // minor enclosure mod [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
rhenriques11
(@rhenriques11)
Eminent Member

@ringholm, outstanding tip to prepare the Razer Core X Chroma to host these huge GPU's. I was also able to do the same as you but with a 
XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Black Gaming Graphics Card (which has the same size of the 6900) but I had the box semi-open. Now it's perfecly closed!!

Best Regards

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Ringholm liked
ReplyQuote
mpschreuder
(@mpschreuder)

@ringholm is the default PSU of the Chroma enough for this card or did you have to replace it with another model? If so, which model did you replace it with?

And do you happen to be familiar with DCS by any chance? I would love to know how (well?) it performs with this setup.

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote