2019 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win1...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1909 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Ever since I got a Samsung Q7C QLED TV in 2017, I have been very happy with its quality and the OneRemote's ease of use. I moved recently and decided the Frame TV series with QLED panel was perfect for the living room. Most of the time it's in art mode which is really cool under the right lighting. When I want to watch something it instantly switches over to regular TV duties.

System specs:

2019 17" LG Gram 17 – i7-8565U/Iris Plus Graphics 620 iGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

AORUS Gaming Box + RTX 2070 + 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + Samsung 49" 4K Frame TV

Hardware pictures:

As can be seen, the no-gap mount this Frame TV comes with can really achieve the no-gap appearance. There is a large OneConnect box that contains  power supply, connection ports, and a thin optical cable connector to the back of the TV. I drilled a hole through the divider wall between living room and dining room to keep the clutters out of sight.

Installation steps:

The AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box installation with this LG Gram 17 was straight forward. First connection of the Gaming Box prompted me to approve new TB3 device in Thunderbolt Control Center. Windows would then sort out the drivers. I opted to manually install GeForce driver version 431 because it's been most stable in my experience.

Benchmarks:

In Windows 10, there's a feature called fullscreen optimizations which limits FPS to the max refresh rate of the internal display. This would mean running the eGPU in loopback mode caps the FPS to 60 for most laptops. I opened Properties for each app/game to disable this feature in the Compatibility tab.

Loopback Mode External Monitor

Comments:

The LG Gram 17 is a different class of ultrabook. You have to try it in person to fully appreciate it. It's impossibly light given how large the footprint is. It does not feel bulky at all thanks to the even weight distribution. The taller 16:10 17" display also makes using it on the lap more pleasant. There are two M.2 NVMe slots so I will try M.2 eGPU adapter next.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

nando4, odin, borygo77 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

@itsage, Will be interesting a M.2 eGPU on LG Gram.. i'm waiting for see.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Trusted Member

Very nice. I still love mine after over a year of using it. Exact same specs and GPU. Smile

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 2004 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@odin, It's an amazing laptop and your experience with it was the motivator for me to get one!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

@odin, It's an amazing laptop and your experience with it was the motivator for me to get one!

I really like what you did putting the cables through the dividing wall there. Really nice looking setup, and generally the area of your house. Definitely can't do that in a small NYC apt. Smile

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 2004 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote