2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [sasha.tc]  

RSS

Sasha Chernenko
(@sasha_chernenko)

System specs

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
CPU: 3 GHz 6-Core Intel i5 (8500)
iGPU: Intel 630HD (built-in CPU, disabled by Apple and irrelevant in this setup, but possible to enable apple_set_os.efi)
dGPU: Radeon Pro 570X 4GB
Windows 10 Pro

Miscellaneous: 40GB DDR4 Ram and 1TB M2 SSD (Seagate Barracuda SSD)

also SATA 500Gb SSD but is only used in macOS

Inkedsystem LI
devices marked

eGPU hardware 

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070 upgraded with
PNY Technologies GeForce RTX 3060 XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Single Fan Edition (haha - longest gpu card name ever)

Hardware pictures 

AGB box originally was with GTX 1070, I followed the guide here and supplied 12V to PCIe slot pin 1 as well as connected PCIe x8 and x16 PRSNT pins  (they actually are side B, pin 48 and side B pin 81 and not pin 82 as in linked post). I'm sure just one of these jumps would suffice but decided to make it work for sure.

IMG 4308 copy
IMG 4311 copy
IMG 4316 copy

Installation steps 

1. Install Windows 10 via Bootcamp and fully set it up.
  2. Fully patch/update windows, reboot. (I'm running 21H1 build 19043.1023)
  3. Disable as many Intel PCI Express Ports as you safely can - I had to disable Port #2 - A339 that hosts Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet controller and SD Card controller. I also disabled Standard SATA AHCI Controller which is directly connected to PCI bus as I do not have Fusion drive and only MacOS volumes are on my SATA connected SSD.
  4. Plug the eGPU in and let Windows install all the drivers.
  5. Once back in install the latest Game Ready nVidia Driver (466.47 in my case)
  6. Reboot.
  7. Should all work normally.

Benchmarks 

cudaz1
cudaz2
cudaz perf
gpgpu
superposition3rows copy

Comments 

It all works like anyone would expect with 99% eGPU detection upon boot/restart as long as I keep Gigabit Ethernet controller disabled (preferrably PCIe Port #2 alltogether). I can still get Ethernet working by enabling it after boot is complete (very useful to have wired connection for wireless VR), but must disable it before reboot - otherwise hello error 43/12.

It does not matter which of the Thunderbolt ports I use. Same effect/stability on both as long as there is enough free PCIe resources for the eGPU to grab.

Another critical point to have setup working - do not update AMD Catalyst drivers higher than 19.30.01.53. It enables your dGPU to grab/reserve more resources to itself and again - hello error 43/12. (Downside of this I have - X-Plane 11.50 does not see Vulkan capability if I accidentally run it on dGPU)

I also updated Thunderbolt controller drivers to the latest 1.41.1094.0 for my Thunderbolt 3 - 15EB controller. Did not affect eGPU initiation.

thunderbolt

Edit: updated detection reliability rate to 99% as have just experienced cold boot from overnight power off state and eGPU did not start (error 43). All I had to do to enable it again was to reboot Windows, but that was not a plain simple reboot. Appears that latest Thunderbolt driver really heavily spams System Event Log with errors in the event your eGPU generates error 43 on boot and then reboot takes forever unless you unplug AGB's TB cable and plug it back in straight away.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago
2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

Pressy, itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sasha_chernenko, Excellent build guide with the Gaming Box and RTX 3000 series ITX card. What a ridiculously long name for such a miniature card!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sasha Chernenko
(@sasha_chernenko)

Thanks, @itsage, I learned so much from this forum so it was definitely time to give back a little.

Here for convenience of understanding the Superposition benchmarks - I run it 3 cycles - twice on 2 different external monitors and once in windowed mode on internal iMac 5K display. Backfeed losses were pretty significant and averaged 28% (

Screen Shot 2021 05 26 at 11.32.01 AM

yay! I can upload pic now!

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sasha Chernenko
(@sasha_chernenko)

Ok, some 2 weeks later some updates:

- I have upgraded my 2019 iMac from i5-8500 to i9-9900k and ... Superposition benchmark numbers, to be honest, did not move anyhow significantly ( But, boy, do I feel the difference in games! Especially such CPU-hungry monsters as MSFS2020, X-Plane, Prepar3D (which what I mainly do all this anyways for). With some Process Lassoing I even can enjoy it in VR without stuttering (to be fair driver update also came along to 466.63 but I believe that was not a contributor)

- I learned that enabling FaceTime camera does not make any effect on eGPU PCIe resources wars (at least with i9-9900k), so I just leave it permanently enabled now.

- I got tired of having to remember and disable/enable Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #2 - A339 (which hosts Gigabit Ethernet and SD card reader) every time I need it or need to reboot/shutdown. So, I went and created 2 minimalistic .BAT scripts:

1. disableETH.bat

[Please login to see this]

2. enableETH.bat

[Please login to see this]

Of course you need to look for your device instance path and put it instead of mine (in double-quotes above)
I then used them in gpedit.mcs console as scripts triggered on my Windows Start/Shutdown. Works like a charm and now I do not worry about doing any of that on normal reboots/shutdowns.

GPEditStart
GPEditShutdown

There is no limit to perfection.

ReplyQuote