2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X C...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [solomani]  

RSS

solomani
(@solomani)
Eminent Member

System specs

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
CPU: 3 GHz 6-Core Intel i5 (8500)
dGPU: Radeon Pro 570X 4GB
Windows 10 Pro

Miscellaneous: 64 GB DDR4 Ram and 4 TB SSD (Samsung Evo)

eGPU hardware

eGPU enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma
Video card: Inno RTX 2060 Super

Hardware pictures

Nothing special, typical iMac setup.

Installation steps

1. Install Windows 10 via bootcamp and fully set this up.
  2. Fully patch/update windows, reboot.
  3. Plug the eGPU in and let Windows install all the drivers.  You may not need to reboot but I found it was worth doing.
  4. Once back in install the latest Nvidia drivers + Geforce.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Should all work form that point forward.

Benchmarks

I ran a ton of benchmarks so here is a summary of them - easier to digest then a bunch of screenshots - benchmarks.

Comments 

I use the internal iMac screen.  I lose approximately 20% in performance but I am happy with that as the setup is much cleaner.

I did have to plug in/out the eGPU a few times to get it fully setup - not sure why - but once setup it has been reliable.

It only works properly 100% of the time on one of the two TB3 ports - the one closest to the USB ports.

I do get a black screen if I reboot or let Windows go to sleep with the eGPU plugged in. Known issue with Windows 10, not specific to bootcamp.

Windows should be smart enough to use the eGPU for graphic heavy apps automatically (like games).  However, you can force this by setting up the specific game in the advanced graphics option under Display settings and selecting the app exe and linking it directly to the eGPU.

This topic was modified 5 months ago
2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

Mini i5 and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
solomani
(@solomani)
Eminent Member

Next step is to get an RTX 3060 (or better) and retest the setup.  Though these are impossible to buy now without spending stupid money.  So will be content with my 2060 super.

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
solomani
(@solomani)
Eminent Member

One other thing I noticed, make sure to install the Chroma Synapse drivers/application.  I found without these installed I got the dreaded error 43 consistently, but when the synapse software is installed, these stopped.  

ReplyQuote
Thinz
(@thinz)

@solomani, Honestly, this comment should be on top!

I had been struggeling like crazy with the dreaded error 12 - done everything a thousand times.... until I saw this wonderful comment LoL

Installed Synapse and all worked perfectly.

Thank You - You made not only my entire day, but my week!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
solomani
(@solomani)
Eminent Member

Glad to be of help.  In the end I went back to my MacBook setup as I found this more reliable.  Something about the loop back on the iMac makes it less reliable than my other setup. YMMV.

ReplyQuote