Setup & Software Discussions
2019 27" iMac 5K (Vega48) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Wi...

2019 27" iMac 5K (Vega48) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [kezeka]  

RSS

kezeka
(@kezeka)

System specs

2019 Imac 5k 27"
CPU: 3.6ghz intel Core I9 (9900k)
dGPU: Vega 48
Windows10pro

eGPU hardware

eGPU enclosure: Razer Core X
Video card: EVGA GTX 1080 founders

Hardware pictures

imagine a messy desk with an imac and a external 27 inch dell ultrasharp

Installation steps

First step was installing win 10 through bootcamp. Then installed bootcamp drivers (full package). Restarted, and then shut the system down.

Plugged the bundled 0.5ft TB3 cable from the core X into the TB3 slot directly next to the USB A ports. Booted the imac into windows 10, which immediately recognized the eGPU and output only onto the external monitor (dell ultrasharp U2713h). iMac monitor was on but black blank screen. Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and gforce experience. Then installed Battlefield V which ran without problems. 

I did try to plug the eGPU into the other TB3 slot (next to ethernet) but this led to no output and two blank screens. Shut off, plugged it into the TB3 slot next to USB A and everything worked without a problem. I DID NOT have to disable the internal dGPU. 

Benchmarks

Sorry amigos, I don't have any benchmarking software. I did run BFV and Assassin's Creed Odyssey on ultra at 1440p without a problem.

Comments 
Was upgrading from a 2012 mac pro that managed to play games on ultra settings and 1440p without problems. Upgraded to get a faster CPU for lightroom editing as well as to finally be able to upgrade to OSX Mojave. I was honestly a bit pensive about using an eGPU after having used a mac pro with the GPU directly installed for the last few years. The process was seamless and without any issues once I moved to the other TB3 port. I was expecting to take a performance hit but since I was only on PCI 2 x16 lanes to begin with in the mac pro, I suspect the move to eGPU was more of a lateral. As far as the GPU enclosure - the razer core X is massive and very well built. I love that it is largely a tool less design and doesn't have any lights. My next step (tomorrow) is to use an active 2 meter TB3 cable and put this massive eGPU box on the floor. I am very impressed with everything so far, will update if I ever run into problems! I just wanted to get this posted to help others thinking about buying a 2019 imac to let them know that everything works well. Finally, thanks to the community for giving me the courage to try this finally and posting so many great resources! 

EDIT: I also want to add a disclaimer to help those dual booting. The bootcamp drivers for the 2019 iMac include APFS read drivers for windows, as I can chose the target disk boot mode for windows or OSX in the bootcamp manager. My understanding is that this is being rolled out on the newer released macs, but was not the case with the bootcamp drivers on the mac pro.

EDIT 2: 2m TB3 active cable from cable matters works great!

This topic was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
cryptoprost
(@cryptoprost)

Thanks for posting! I'm currently using a MacBook pro and looking to upgrade to a iMac 2019. Have you been able to get your iMac to work with the Mac OS? I understand that you'd probably have to downgrade to High Sierra to use the NVIDIA drivers and do a bit of terminal work with Purge-Wrangler or the equivalent to get it to work. Have you tried that or are you just using Windows on your Mac to use the eGPU?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@kezeka,
very nice setup, but I am wondering:

You have a powerful dGPU with Vega48. Is a GTX1080 as eGPU really an improvement?
Can you provide a setup of compared benchmarks, synthetic, gamed and applications?

That would be very helpful! Thank you.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote