Setup & Software Discussions
2018 14" HP Elitebook 840 G5 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 950 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + ...

2018 14" HP Elitebook 840 G5 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 950 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1809 [David Peng]  

RSS

(@david_peng)

System specs

• 14" screen
  • Intel Core i5-8350U
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 (x64)
  • 32GB RAM
  • 128GB HDD
  • 2 x 24" generic external LCD monitors (1920 x 1080, 59 Hz)
  • Dell D6000 docking for convenience of a hub/dock

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures
Nothing out of the ordinary here. Just the standard company issued laptop with Razer Core X along with EVGA GTX 950 (barely visible inside the enclosure).

Installation steps

1. Laptop is already up and running, currently connected to Dell D6000 through USB-C. Two monitors are currently connected to the Dell dock.
  2. Unbox Razer Core X
  3. Install GPU in Razer Core X
  4. Connect power cable for Razer Core X
  5. Switch Razer Core X on
  6. Remove Dell D6000 docking from USB-C to regular USB connection.
  7. Connect USB-C cable from Razer Core X to laptop
  8. Run Windows Update to fetch graphic drivers and auto-install. It then asked for restart.
  9. Minor issues after restart and got back into Windows. Had to unplug and plug the USB-C back. This has to do with my company's policy to secure the laptop but basically I have to grant permission to TB3 to connect with Razer Core X.
  10. Moved one monitor to run through Razer Core X. Looks good.
  11. Moved the other monitor to Razer Core X as well so both monitors are now driven by Razer Core X and GTX 950.
  12. Game on!

Benchmarks
I don't feel this is important for now. I know for sure that I can game with my business laptop now.

Comments

I plan to upgrade my GPU, hopefully soon rather than later. I'm looking to get RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 when my budget allows it. Note that I use this laptop mostly for business work but I'd like to game after work hours and on the weekends. Generally, when I get home, I don't use my internal display of my laptop. Instead, I use two external monitors in side-by-side setup. Hopefully this build info helps people out there with the same situation as mine. Took me about 4 months (not constantly researching) when I finally pulled the trigger today, September 6th, 2019 with the purchase of Razer Core X. GTX 950 came out of my died desktop that was running old Intel Core Duo with quad core. Glad it paid off and everything worked as I had expected with the research. I was worried that the TB3 won't work in my situation along with my company's strict clamp down of the laptop.

This topic was modified 1 week ago

2018 HP Elitebook 840 G5 (8th,4C,U) + GTX 950 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1809

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@david_peng, just be aware that the 14″/15″ HP Elitebook 840/850 G5 have a 2-lane TB3 controller.  This is because they have a dGPU option and the CPU/SOC has a total of 12 PCIe lanes. 4 for dGPU (even if not attached), 4 for NVME SSD, 1 for WLAN leaves 2 for TB3 controller. 

You can confirm for yourself by doing CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth test runs and compare against:
https://egpu.io/builds/#perf

The newer Whiskey Lake CPUs have 16 PCIe lanes so HP can route the full TB3 4-lanes. That should be the case for the Elitebook 840/850 G6.

Your topic title has been altered to show this accurately: 2018 14″ HP Elitebook 840 G5 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 950 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1809 [David Peng]

This post was modified 1 week ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
(@david_peng)

@nando4

Thanks for that. Yes, I am aware it only has 2 lanes (I did that test per this website prior on purchasing Core X). For what is worth, I didn't want to spend too much for my own gaming setup; this seems to fit of what I need to do gaming at home to relax and jump right back to work if needed. I'm probably not alone so hopefully this will help someone as well.

2018 HP Elitebook 840 G5 (8th,4C,U) + GTX 950 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote