Setup & Software Discussions
2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C,] + RTX [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10...

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C,] + RTX [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [Aiwi]  

RSS

Aiwi
 Aiwi
(@aiwi)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

• 2019 27" iMac 5K
  • 3.0GHz Hexa Core i5 8500
  • 8GB DDR4 2666MHz
  • AMD 570X 4GB dGPU
  • Samsung T5 Portable SSD 500GB
  • Windows 10 Pro (1903)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

• Razer Core X
  • Provided 50cm TB3 Cable
  • Internal monitor acceleration
  • Connected to TB3 jack closest to the Ethernet jack

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com  )

• I'll need some more posts for this
  • Basically an iMac with a Razer Core X on the right side

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

• Idle at Windows desktop
  • Download and start installation of the Nvidia drivers for RTX2070
    • When the initial unpacking (before the true installer started) was at 70% I connected the powered on eGPU
    • Driver installs fine
  • Disconnect the TB cable
  • Restart
  • Idle at Windows desktop
    • Connect the TB cable
  • Everything works!
  • Set eGPU preference for chosen apps
    • Display Settings
    • In the bottom, choose Graphics Settings
    • Browse
      • Add the game/app that needs acceleration
      • Choose Options
      • Confirm High Performance GPU is your eGPU
      • Choose High Performance
  • All set!

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

• 3D Mark Time Spy - AMD 570X
  • 3D Mark Score: 3125
    • Graphics Score: 2922
    • CPU Score: 5172
    • Graphics Test 1: 19.86 fps
    • Graphics Test 2: 16.17 fps
    • CPU Test: 17.38 fps
  • 3D Mark Time Spy - RTX 2070 (Internal Screen)
  • 3D Mark Score: 5672
    • Graphics Score: 5830
    • CPU Score: 4920
    • Graphics Test 1: 37.09 fps
    • Graphics Test 2: 34.16 fps
    • CPU Test: 16.53 fps
  • (REFERENCE) 3D Mark Time Spy - Mac Pro 5.1 X5690 with RTX 2070 (External Screen, duh)
  • 3D Mark Score: 7350
    • Graphics Score: 8688
    • CPU Score: 3925
    • Graphics Test 1: 56.04 fps 
    • Graphics Test 2: 50.27 fps 
    • CPU Test: 13.19 fps

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

• Did this for fun in order to see if my decade old Mac Pro was ready for retirement.
    • It will not retire just yet
    • Now I just need a 5K screen for the Mac Pro..

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@aiwi Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this nice build! I have used an HP Z27q 27" 5K monitor for the past two years and it's very good. It uses two DisplayPort cables for DP 1.2 MST 5K output. The Mac Pro 5,1 can definitely use it with any supported GPU with at least two DisplayPort OUT ports.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

nice work. Are you using bootcamp or are you using a bootloader to select a windows installation on the external samsung drive?

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
Aiwi
 Aiwi
(@aiwi)

Posted by: itsage

@aiwi Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this nice build! I have used an HP Z27q 27" 5K monitor for the past two years and it's very good. It uses two DisplayPort cables for DP 1.2 MST 5K output. The Mac Pro 5,1 can definitely use it with any supported GPU with at least two DisplayPort OUT ports.

Thanks! Yes, there are some options. But nothing as pretty as an iMac 🙂 Getting a Gigabyte Titan Ridge and and Pro Display XDR has started to cross my mind..

Posted by: esatamacmodular

nice work. Are you using bootcamp or are you using a bootloader to select a windows installation on the external samsung drive?

No bootloader nor bootcamp really. When the USB drive is plugged in, it's available as a boot option. The iMac drives are untouched. I installed Windows 10 using the WINtoUSB app. https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/31/how-windows-10-mac-boot-camp-external-drive-video/

I used the latest version of WINtoUSB (enterprise) and Windows 10 1903 ISO from Microsoft. Then followed the 9to5mac guide and installed onto the T5. I skipped all the VMWare parts and just used a spare windows PC instead. Was surprisingly easy!

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote