Setup & Software Discussions
2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (...

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [_fizzbuzz_] // a bit of hardware hacking  

RSS

_fizzbuzz_
(@_fizzbuzz_)

System Specs:
2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 20QD001UUS
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N2HET40W (1.23 ), 10/17/2019
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
AOC AGON AG322QCX @ 2560 x 1440
Built-in display @ 2560 x 1440
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [1903]

eGPU hardware:
AKiTiO Node
MSI GTX 1080 Ti -> external monitor

The fan problem:
I purchased the AKiTiO Node and GTX 1080 Ti a few years ago but when I went to set things up there was a problem-- the card is so wide that the fans rubbed against the side of the node!  I ran it without the cover for a while but I hated having it like that, so back in the closet it went until last week when my main gaming machine died. I made a large cut-out in the GPU side of the enclosure and then bolted one of these over the hole with a few standoffs to make a bit more room.  It works like a charm and I dig the retro look.  It sits on the floor under my desk and looks like/doubles as a small furnace for warming my feet in these cold Chicago Winters.

The install:
Literally nothing to it.  I got windows fully patched and simply plugged things in.  I was prompted for a few restarts as the necessary drivers were installed, but that was it.

Benchmarks:
I ran a few but I'm waiting for my Noctura replacement fan to get in before I really tweak it and put it through it's paces.  If I remember I'll update the post.

Pictures:

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

2019 14" Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 7 (8th,4C,U) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@_fizzbuzz_ What an excellent mod! Form and function never worked out so well!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Lividity
(@lividity)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
(@topher)

Love that carbon fiber look.  I almost went with the AkiTio Node, but opted for the Razer.  Kind of like the AkiTio look a little more with that carbon fiber.  Very nice.

Lenovo Yoga C940 | Razer Core X | AMD Radeon 5700 XT

ReplyQuote