Setup & Software Discussions
2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [Topher]  

RSS

(@topher)

After struggling (and failing) to get an eGPU working with my 2019 13" MacBook Pro, I finally moved on and purchased the Lenovo Yoga C940.  

System Specs
14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS 400nits Glossy, Dolby Vision
Intel Core i7-1065G7 (4C/8T,1.3/3.9GHz,8MB)
Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics
12GB LPDDR4X-3733
512GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe

eGPU Hardware
Razer Core X
AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Connected to 43" Sony 4K TV and Acer 27" Monitor

Installation Steps
Simply connect to computer using the included TB3 cable and install the AMD drivers. It automatically detects the eGPU and sets up AMD XConnect. There isn't much to it.

Benchmarks

The benchmarks are running at 3840x2160 (4K) on High.
Borderlands 3
(not very detailed but shows FPS):

Far Cry New Dawn:

Unigine Valley

Comments

I've always loved the idea of an eGPU.  Decoupling a powerful GPU with all its heat and bulk from a ultraportable laptop is a dream come true.  The Razer Core X handles the task incredibly well.  As you can see above, even newer games such as Borderlands 3 and Far Cry New Dawn run fairly well at 4K, high settings.  Honestly, this is better than I ever expected from a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet.  In actual gaming, I'll scale down the resolution/quality for more stable FPS.  But overall, for a mobile CPU and a mid-tier GPU, I'm extremely happy with the results.

Thanks to all who run and participate on this site.  This is my first post, but I wouldn't be posting at all if not for all the information provided by everyone at eGPU.io.  You guys rock! 

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Lenovo Yoga C940 | Razer Core X | AMD Radeon 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@topher Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this excellent build! Which brand/model is your internal NVMe drive? Your benchmark numbers look great!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

Topher liked
ReplyQuote
(@topher)

@itsage

Thanks!  Yeah....really happy with it.  The NVMe is Samsung, but probably an OEM variant of the 970 EVO based on benchmarks.

Samsung NVMe benchmarks

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@topher

Could you run Unigine Heaven at 1080p Ultra with max AA (Extreme HD) preset as well? Standard settings would help in direct comparisons to other builds. AIDA memory read seems to be the highest I've personally seen, and write is decent. Maybe due to the 10th gen Intel CPU.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
(@topher)

@mac_editor

Yeah....no problem.

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Eminent Member

@topher
I ordered the same laptop myself, only difference is that i got 16GB RAM (only option available here) and the 1TB SSD instead of the 512GB. My eGPU worked right from the start as well, just plug in, install drivers and ready to go. However, I'm a bit curious, does yours also have an issue with waking from sleep (no eGPU connected) after Windows Updates decides to force driver updates, no matter if device installation is set to disabled and using software to "force disable" automatic driver updates? Since mine keeps behaving like that (and I already reinstalled Windows 3 times to try and fix this issue since I got it last Friday) I already asked Lenovo to send it back though, but I'm still curious if that's just a one time tough luck situation or a general issue?

How to undervolt your GPU

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (standing by for use) - silent mod #2 (TBD)

ReplyQuote
(@clement_maxwell)

@topher

Hello there! Made an account in this website just to reply on your thread 😆 . Do you mind testing Heaven 4.0 benchmark with all settings cranked up @1080
I've decided to get this card as well by next week and am just curious about it's performance on that particular benchmark because I haven't see any native Windows benchmark on this eGPU setup yet.

And oh, are you using internal or external display for the benchmark?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Eminent Member

@clement_maxwell

I may be able to help you out a bit on this one.
Before I put mine back into it's box, I let it run some benchmarks with the eGPU.

I used Unigine Superposition for it, in order to also see some more recent CPU bottleneck possibilities (only the 720p scores are influenced in this concern):
Yoga C940-14IIL, i7-1065G7, 16GB [email protected]

eGPU: Aorus Gaming Box with Gigabyte GTX1070 ITX OC

Preset internal screen external screen Desktop (i5-4690K)
low - 720p 19704 20841 18357
medium - 1080p 10477 11019 12151
high - 1080p 7868 8171 8739
extreme - 1080p 3276 3217 3323
4K - optimized 4948 5040 5291
8K - optimized 2227 2241 2268

Since I didn't get to do some undervolting back then, all scores but the 720p ones are lower than what the card can do due to some thermal throttling.
I also would like to mention, that while testing, the box and it's PSU were not closed and the smaller side fans missing (this is my second box and I'm still waiting on the fans I planned to put in. I will add another post in the related thread since this will be a slightly modified version of my previous silent mod on my other Aorus Box)

(EDIT: I forgot to add the desktop scores earlier for comparison, just added them so you can see the influence of the lower bandwidth)

How to undervolt your GPU

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (standing by for use) - silent mod #2 (TBD)

ReplyQuote
(@topher)

Posted by: @the_livy

@topher
I ordered the same laptop myself, only difference is that i got 16GB RAM (only option available here) and the 1TB SSD instead of the 512GB. My eGPU worked right from the start as well, just plug in, install drivers and ready to go. However, I'm a bit curious, does yours also have an issue with waking from sleep (no eGPU connected) after Windows Updates decides to force driver updates, no matter if device installation is set to disabled and using software to "force disable" automatic driver updates? Since mine keeps behaving like that (and I already reinstalled Windows 3 times to try and fix this issue since I got it last Friday) I already asked Lenovo to send it back though, but I'm still curious if that's just a one time tough luck situation or a general issue?

Ah....would have loved that option for increased RAM and SSD.  But I got this on sale at Best Buy for $1199 so I can't complain too much.  I haven't noticed any issues with the system waking, but I'm not sure if there have been any forced driver updates.  Only real issue I had was random errors out of the box.  So much so that I did a clean install of Windows.  I'm guessing the problem was either all the bloatware they installed or just a faulty image in the factory.  Hopefully that is just a rare issue  you encountered, but I will certainly keep on eye out for it.

Posted by: @clement_maxwell

@topher

Hello there! Made an account in this website just to reply on your thread 😆 . Do you mind testing Heaven 4.0 benchmark with all settings cranked up @1080
I've decided to get this card as well by next week and am just curious about it's performance on that particular benchmark because I haven't see any native Windows benchmark on this eGPU setup yet.

And oh, are you using internal or external display for the benchmark?

I'll run the Heaven 4.0 benchmark tonight and post the results.  I'm using an external display for the results.

ReplyQuote
(@topher)

@clement_maxwell

Here is the benchmark from Unigine Heaven.

2019 11 19 1

ReplyQuote
Romzy
(@romzy)

@topher

Congrats on the build! Glad to hear that it seems to be working well for you. =)

I just got a C940 (i7-1065G7) of my own and am strongly considering a similar setup. I have two questions that I hope you may be able to shed some light on.

1. What are the thermals like for the laptop? I'm worried about its longevity if I use it for regular gaming with an eGPU - though I realize that thermals are going to be fairly high in all thin and light laptops.

2. Do you know how much power the i7 gets? I see that there are 9W, 15W, and 28W versions of the 1065G7 but I haven't been able to figure out which version is in the C940.

Thanks!

EDIT: 3rd question: Do you find you're able to get enough power for the laptop through the TB3 connection to the Razer Core X when gaming? That's assuming that you're using both TB3 ports (one for the monitor(s) and one for the egpu) and thus don't have space to also plug in the power adapter.

This post was modified 4 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@jack_langston)

@topher

Do you think the 15" version will be the same? Yoga C940-15IRH?

ReplyQuote