2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [Topher]  

of  4
  RSS

hulk_shogun
(@hulk_shogun)

Hey people,

I too have a C940 and it works fantastically well with the 1080 TI that I'm using (after the last driver update, before it kept freezing). Except for Mordhau for some reason, which crashes on start-up. Can someone with an NVIDIA GPU and Mordhau in their Steam library replicate this? I realize that is a tall order, but I'm desperate at this point ^^

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
g1uc0se
(@g1uc0se)

Posted by: @kevin_maestre

@prasys

Yeah especially when i restart with it connected. I have to disconnect, login, then connect it.

Do you get any freezing problems with yours? Or like it gets hot with fans running fast? lmk

What kind of freezing? I dont meet any freezing right now.

To the thermal problem, yes, C940 is so thin. the thermal pipe and fan is like 5mm thick, so the thermal is bad. 

Mine get 50~ when idle. and 95~ Full load. And the fan is annoying, due to the little holes on the back 🙁

@kay_brock

Hey, I just solve this after reading the explain. just follow Temporary Fix [by @bas_timer]

Now I use 1909 and AMD driver 20.2.2. Hope that it can help u

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
g1uc0se
(@g1uc0se)

@kay_brock

Hey, I just solve this after reading the explain. just follow Temporary Fix [by @bas_timer]

Now I use 1909 and AMD driver 20.2.2. Hope that it can help u

ReplyQuote
Pedro Silva
(@pedro_silva)

@topher, do you have any stability issues? I have the same laptop as you, coupled with a mantiz venus mz-02, with gtx 1660 super and I have crashes at very random moments. sometimes only watching a video on youtube. it is really annoying and it makes me unplug the thunderbolt 3 cable and then I have to force the laptop to reboot. I don't know what to do.

ReplyQuote
Kevin Maestre
(@kevin_maestre)

Posted by: @pedro_silva

@topher, do you have any stability issues? I have the same laptop as you, coupled with a mantiz venus mz-02, with gtx 1660 super and I have crashes at very random moments. sometimes only watching a video on youtube. it is really annoying and it makes me unplug the thunderbolt 3 cable and then I have to force the laptop to reboot. I don't know what to do.

I have the fix for you. 

I'll save the explanation and hours of googling/finding it on reddit]. All in all go into NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

Directly into Manage 3D Settings. 

Ensure that hte Preffered Graphics Proccessor is the NVIDIA Card.

Then find the Power Management Mode and select in the drop down "Prefer Maximum Performance".

That is all. Enjoy your new rig. I love mine Smile

Lenovo C940 14in - 4k Display - 1TB NVME - 16GB RAM - 10th Gen Intel i7 Processor with G7 Iris Graphics + Razer Core X Chroma + EVGA 2080 SUPER XC - 49in CRG90 Samsung Ultrawide Monitor.

ReplyQuote
aperfectdesk
(@aperfectdesk)

Possibly dumb question for ya'll, where does the Yoga C940 exhaust? I'm trying to find a 2 in 1 that I can hook up to an egpu and run it in full tablet mode without choking it (I want to position my laptop next to an external monitor where the laptop will just look like another monitor). Any thoughts? 

Still shopping around. Currently running a Macbook Pro 13" and a medium powerful desktop but would like to consolidate.

ReplyQuote
OversizedMattress
(@oversizedmattress)

@kevin_maestre would you be willing to make a full build post for your setup, including a summary of any extra steps you've done to handle thermals and freezing issues?

There aren't too many builds with this laptop, so I think yours could be an excellent guide for newcomers (and myself!), especially since results may vary with Nvidia GPU instead of AMD. 

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Toph_98
(@toph_98)

@topher, can appreciate the build, (and the name lol), thinking about going with a yoga 730, but going for a more odd route and pairing it with a TB3>TB2 adapter and TB2 enclosure with an older quadro inside, I have to see if the eGPU idea works beforehand with my friends laptop, but if it does I could definitely see myself getting the 730 or the c940 like what you have.

ReplyQuote
Gerdoch
(@gerdoch)

I have fairly similar hardware to yours on my Dell laptop (my 10th gen i7 is a i7-10510U, not a G series, however), so I'm curious, did you have to do anything to deal with Error 12 (PCI resource bug) or did it all just work plug-and-play?  Are you using the Windows 10 Build 1909 pci.sys or one from an earlier build?  Thanks!

Dell Inspiron 7791 / i7-10510U / Razer Core X / Gigabyte Radeon 5500 XT / Pop!_OS Linux 20.04

2019 17" Dell Inspiron 17 7791 2-in-1 (MX250) [10th,4C,U] + RX 5500 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 & Linux Pop!_OS 20.04 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Toson Aldam-Tajima
(@toson_aldam-tajima)

@topher, first of all, hello! 

I am definitely interested in getting an eGPU for my yoga C940. The only problem is that my setup only consists of my C940, keyboard and mouse. I have been looking at various monitors for a while now but I am still unsure which monitor to get. It would be great if you could give some suggestions. Thanks Smile

My specs are:

CPU - i7-1065G7

RAM - 16GB

SSD - 1TB

Display - 4K

ReplyQuote
 of  4