2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [josh_bennett]  

RSS

Josh Bennett
(@josh_bennett)

I just want to take a moment and say thank you to everyone for the previous builds on egpu.io. My 2012 retina Macbook logic board died back in June, and I was forced to upgrade in a hurry as I use my Macbook daily for work. It's been years since I had a gaming rig at home, so the idea of a eGPU has been attractive since I found out about the tech a few weeks later. About a week ago I made the plunge and decided on the 5700XT due to my need for occasional MacOS use. I have had a LOT of headaches, but as of tonight, we're operating on all cylinders and I wanted to pay it forward and share my success story. I have reloaded Bootcamp about 10 times in the last week, and tried several approaches. I've learned that we all experience different issues along the way, but this is my story.....

System specs

• 2019 16" MacBook Pro w/ i9-9880H, 16GB RAM, 5500M 8GB, 1TB SSD
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 (Latest Version)
  • Windows 10 Pro v2004 (Latest Version)

eGPU hardware

• Razer Core X Chroma
  • XFX AMD RX 5700 XT RAW 8GB
  • Samsung T7 External SSD 1TB
  • Cable Matters 2M Thunderbolt 3 Cable
  • (2) Samsung 27" LC27F396FHNXZA 1080p Freesync Monitor
  • (2) Rankie Displayport to HDMI Cable
  • Havit Mechanical Keyboard and Gaming Mouse
  • Logitech Z313 2.1 Speakers
  • Logitech G935 Wireless Headset
  • Xbox Gaming Controller
  • Anker 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps 

A couple things might seem redundant... but believe me... this is how it worked.

1. Boot into MacOS and make sure your eGPU works. It should be plug and play!
  2. Disconnect your eGPU, and keep your EGPU unplugged until necessary. I'll say when 😉 
  3. Install Bootcamp on Mac Internal SSD. I chose 256GB (MacOS now has 700GB+). Go through and set it up entirely normal and out of the box like you weren't doing anything different. I was able to use Windows 10 Pro 2004, the latest version available.
  4. Boot windows and let it install the Bootcamp drivers natively. Restart computer afterwords.
  5. Open the Windows bootcamp control panel, and set to boot to Windows automatically from now on (for now at least)... as you're going to be restarting a lot.
  6. Activate Windows... just because it's the right thing to do. You can buy legal and working codes super cheap on third party websites... or even eBay.
  7. Now that Bootcamp is all done... Download 2 things:
    1. DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    2. The latest Official AMD Bootcamp Drivers https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp
  8. Reboot Windows into safe mode, and run DDU. I ran on the default settings, but make sure the last checkmark for "disable windows updates for drivers" is selected. Run twice using the option WITHOUT restarting, back to back, then run a third time restarting your computer.
  9. Once your computer starts back up, install the latest AMD Bootcamp drivers you downloaded. Normal install, and restart your computer once done.
  10. Download the latest AMD Adrenalin 2020 Optional drivers on AMD's website for the 5700XT. Run the installer, it will fail instantly... but that's OK. It put a bunch of setup files hidden on your computer, which we'll need later.
  11. Download this old version of PCI.SYS (A Windows Driver) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZleU49wtrfYsypRc0dXbn_yWKdaXtdDa PCI.SYS is the core Windows Driver for PCI Express, which powers Thunderbolt. It's loaded upon booting your computer up. This is where AMD is having issues, with the PCI drivers not allocating power properly via Windows. This is not a third-party driver you can download and install, as it's built right into Windows... Sadly Win10 seems to be modifying this file every release, and this seems to be the file that can make or break AMD eGPU on Windows 10 working properly. This is a modified and older version of PCI.SYS, which is the secret to getting this all to work! Credit to @shiraz and other forum members before me for finding this fix, and sharing this link above.
  12. Go to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ and right-click on PCI.SYS... click on "Properties"
    1. Go to Security Tab
    2. Click Advanced
    3. Click "Change" next to Owner
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. Click On Find Now
    6. Go to your username on Windows, and click once on it. Then Click OK
    7. Click OK again.
    8. Click OK again.
    9. Click Edit
    10. Go to your username, and click the allow box for "Full Control". Then Click OK
    11. Click OK again. 
    12. Rename to PCI.SYS.old
  13. Copy over the new PCI.SYS that you downloaded to the Windows/System32/Drivers folder.
  14. On the new PCI.SYS same thing, we need to take ownership again... click on "Properties"
    1. Go to Security Tab
    2. Click Advanced
    3. Click "Change" next to Owner
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. Click On Find Now
    6. Go to your username on Windows, and click once on it. Then Click OK
    7. Click OK again.
    8. Click OK again.
    9. Click Edit
    10. Go to your username, and click the allow box for "Full Control". BUT WAIT
    11. "Remove" any other objects except:
      1. ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
      2. ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES
      3. SYSTEM
      4. YOUR USERNAME
      5. ADMINISTRATORS
      6. USERS
    12. Click OK again. 
    13. Click OK again. 
  15. If for some reason... your egpu stops working later on... come back to step 11 and repeat the PCI.SYS. Sadly Windows is known to correct this file back to the original one. It did it once for me, as I must of misclicked something in the ownership settings. This is a known problem in the community. Windows Updates, Driver Updates, Bootcamp Updates, etc... may repair this file to the original. You will have to put the modified file back and repeat all the ownership settings.
  16. Plug in your eGPU!.I used the top left port closest to the screen.
  17. Go to Device Manager, then Display adapters. You'll see your 5500m working fine, and a new "Windows Display Card". Right-click on "Windows Display Card" and update driver. Select have disk Browse to this location: C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-xxxx\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\. Install that driver manually, and then reboot. You should be prompted for the reboot.
  18. Once your computer boots up... turn it off, then unplug the EGPU. I'm currently only having success with hot plugs. 🙁 
  19. Let your computer boot up, and then wait 30 seconds or so, for all your apps and drivers to load. Then plug in your eGPU. (This is known as hot plug) If all goes well, you have working external monitors now and a working EGPU!!!!
  20. I go to device manager and disable my 5500m, and using the display settings I disable my laptop screen. Both these options work without issue, and then I can close my mac screen and use entirely a docked clamshell computer. Make sure your power settings are set to "Do Nothing" when closing your laptop lid.

Known Issues

• Sadly, I have no Bluetooth anymore, it's being disabled Code 12... but that's much better than my video card being Code 12. I'm able to plug in my Xbox Controller and use it fine via USB. (Or buy a USB hub of some sort. I recommend getting a hub that plugs directly into the Mac, since your eGPU is already at max power effectivity).
  • Only works for hotplug... you have to boot up your computer and wait a minute before plugging in the EGPU. It does go unresponsive for about 30 seconds every time loading the egpu as well. Booting up with your EGPU doesn't seem to be recognized and causes issues and troubleshooting that unplugging/plugging back in doesn't solve as easily.
  • As mentioned once, I had my PCI.sys get reset once. You'll know if it does, because your video card will go Code 12 and your monitors will go black. Unplug your EGPU and repeat steps with PCI and everything afterwords. This has only happened once.
  • You're technically still using the Bootcamp AMD Pro drivers and application, which compared to using Bootcampdrivers.com I have had MUCH LESS ISSUES THIS WAY. Using Bootcampdrivers.com I am unable to disable my laptop screen, or close the lid without the computer freezing/rebooting every time. I had a few artifacts on RedDead2 but I can say that's the age of the drivers and AMD software, and there is no fix for this yet. Hopefully AMD/Apple/Windows roll up a new update soon.

Benchmarks

Still a new build... I can say I have Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultra Default Settings 60fps 1080p. 
No freezing, no reboots.

Thanks, everyone, I hope this helps!

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

2019 Macbook Pro 16" - Core i9, 16GB RAM, 5500M 4GB, 1TB SSD
Razer Core X Chroma with XFX 5700XT
MacOS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 Pro v2004

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@josh_bennett, Thank you for sharing this nice build with very detailed instructions! Also interesting to learn AMD Boot Camp drivers have been more stable for you vs the modified drivers through bootcampdrivers.com.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Josh Bennett
(@josh_bennett)

@itsage, yep! With bootcampdrivers.com I was unable to disable the 5500m or close the laptop screen without freezing the computer instantly and resulting in a shutdown. It almost acts thermal when it happens, unresponsive for 30 seconds, then hard shut down out of nowhere. When I keep the original drivers, and then manually update the 5700XT, I have normal use of my laptop screen as I would expect being able to disable the card, or close the lid. Since my configuration has an external monitor (2 to be exact) this is nice.

I will say I never tried the bootcampdrivers blue drivers, but the red drivers resulted with issues that led me to this.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@josh_bennett, Thank you. I don't use the laptop in clamshell mode so I would never have known. As with all Boot Camp setups, it's trial and error to figure out the best procedure. Always good to have more information from different uses and configurations.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Josh Bennett
(@josh_bennett)

@itsage, I will add, with the latest bootcampdrivers red drivers, I did have freezing and restarts by simply browsing through control panel/settings display settings. Very odd, but this also corrected that. It seems anything with the internal gpu display settings would trip a freeze. Even changing the DPI, or messing with the taskbar. All resolved with the official AMD Mac drivers. Stability is 100%, which I value over what could be 5% performance in newer drivers any day.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
sjcpilot
(@sjcpilot)

Thanks for the write up, however, even with the nearly the exact setup on my end (only difference is 5500M 8GB, and using a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT) this didn't work for me. I tried 3 different times. The only other thing I haven't tried is running Windows 10 2004. I cannot update for some reason, keeps getting stuck at 94% and then reverts. I will have to wipe clean and start over. Was really hoping to use this setup for MS2020. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote