Setup & Software Discussions
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [craftsman]  

RSS

craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

Pleased to present results to everyone who is curious about the new MacBook Pro 16".

I have the fully specced version with 32GB memory and 2TB SSD. I have paired it with the Radeon 5700XT Anniversary Edition.

Below I present the CPU and GPU results of the machine and the eGPU. 

For the CPU, SSD and Radeon Pro 5500M have tested : Geekbench 4, Geekbench 5, Unigene Valley, Luxmark 3.1, Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, Blackmagic RAW Speed Test.

For the Radeon 5700 XT Anniversary Edition I only present the Unigene Valley results as I have posted results of this GPU before. There was a 200 point improvement using the the eGPU with the new Mac. Previously I used it with a 6 core MacBook Pro 2018 model.

Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.37.28
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.29.36
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.27.54
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.21.42
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.12.00
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.05.12
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 20.05.04
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 19.42.02
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 19.40.28
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 19.35.14
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 19.31.55
Screenshot 2019 11 15 at 19.31.00

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

MacBook Pro 16" 2019, Radeon 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition, Razer Core X Chroma

kushNYC and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@andrei_mortila)

@craftsman

Any chance you were able to install BootCamp and confirm eGPU works? I will get my 16inch Mac Pro in a few days and looking to pair it with a 5700XT and Razer Core Chroma also. Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

@andrei_mortila

I have a PC with 9900K and RTX 2080 Ti so I don't bother with Bootcamp. 

The 5700 XT is my favourite safest choice for macOS eGPU. There is just a small bug at the moment that sometimes doesn't wake the monitor properly from sleep in clamshell mode.

MacBook Pro 16" 2019, Radeon 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition, Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
(@andrei_mortila)

@craftsman

Ok, Thanks for the info. Will do a build and install Bootcamp in a few days and see how it goes. Appreciate it !

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

craftsman liked
ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

I thought this GPU doesn't work yet with MacOS? How are people getting it working? Apple Beta Program?

2018 15" MBP w/ Radeon Pro 560x
Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W at 4k
macOS Mojave, Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)

@tsh3721

Support was added in 10.15.1.

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @rnb2

@tsh3721

Support was added in 10.15.1.

Interesting. And yet it still doesn't work with Windows / Bootcamp?

2018 15" MBP w/ Radeon Pro 560x
Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W at 4k
macOS Mojave, Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)

@tsh3721

That I'm not sure about - pretty sure it works with the stock drivers in Windows, but maybe the drivers aren't in Boot Camp yet? Hopefully, somebody who has one will chime in with more info.

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@craftsman

You are my personal hero. 

I thought before that you were into a Radeon VII, but then it is a RX 5700 TX. Great scores, as suspected. I didn't know there was a 16-inch MBP. So we never learn enough. Thank you!

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
beppedessi
(@beppedessi)

Do you have tested some game on it? Like League of Legend, Fortnite ecc.? 

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

@beppedessi

I have a PC so I don't game on Mac. I do like OpenEmu though.

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

Real world stress test.

In this set up I attach a 4K display and an Eizo (1920x1200 resolution) to the RX 5700 XT.

On the Eizo I leave open Safari playing a Netflix title.

On the 4K display I launch Adobe Bridge and Photoshop 2020 which are said to be better optimised. Adobe claims Bridge and Camera Raw use Metal now, but you must apply the setting manually (screenshot of this attached below)

In Bridge I open a 20GB folder of very high resolution TIFF files. Each image is an uncropped 50 megapixel layered image.

After Bridge renders the thumbnails, first I try window resizing test.

With such a large amount of high resolution images, window resizing is slow with Adobe Bridge on macOS or Windows no matter how fast your CPU and GPU is. So it is important to size your window before you load images.

In the second part of the test, I open these images in Photoshop. I test some processor intense tools to see how responsive they are : Stamp Tool, Patch Tool, Content Aware Fill, Select Subject and Liquify. I'm happy to see that performance is very good and there is no lag.

The Activity Monitor app shows that almost all these operations are CPU bound and lean on the GPU for zooming, resizing and flick panning. 

The important things to observe from this test and workflow set up:

i. Nearly all the Bridge and Photoshop operations rely heavily on the first CPU core. Photoshop relies on high clock speeds and doesn't care for high core counts. A 6-8 core CPU @ 5Ghz is much better than a CPU with more cores and lower clock speeds. Gamer Nexus confirms this in their review of the Ryzen 3950X in which Intel is still the best choice for apps like Photoshop. 

ii. MacBook Pro 16" can now handle this configuration and heavy files very well and remains cool and silent. The previous generation 15" model would become loud and the throttling would cause these tools to become jerky under a heavy load.

iii. The RX5700 XT isn't fully utilised but if you really want great viewport performance then this GPU should be considered the minimum. In my veteran experience, viewport performance was previously much slower in macOS than Windows but now the gap is closing since the release of Photoshop 2020. At present the best configuration for silky smooth viewport performance is Windows+Nvidia. 

My previous experience with the 15" MacBook Pro, Radeon VII (this card is poor for Photoshop, confirmed by Puget Systems) and Photoshop 2018-2019 was much slower than this. This progress should make professionals much happier.

One more thing. Coil whine in eGPUs can be disturbing. Every brush stroke in Photoshop sounded like a mouse squeaking inside the Razer Core X Chroma. Play music or a movie if you want to ignore it.

settings
displays
cpugpu

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Mindriot
(@mindriot)

@craftsman

Your build looks great. I think I will try to build something similar. I want to pull the trigger on the Mac but I'm not sure which i9 to purchase. Would you recommend the 2.3 or 2.4ghz chip? Also, do you think 64 gigs of RAM is overkill? Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@mindriot

2.3. The 2.4 will net zero performance gains. Usually those that need 64G memory already know they require it. Perhaps you could save and stick with 32.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

@mindriot

Only you can make that decision If you load up your heaviest projects and check how much resources are used in Activity Monitor. For me 32GB RAM is sufficient and I need every megahertz of CPU and GPU power I can get. On some projects I will load dozens of images into Photoshop until they fill up the RAM and if the CPU and GPU don't have enough clock speed or cooling then I won't be able to work in real time.

ReplyQuote
Mindriot
(@mindriot)

@mac_editor Thank you for your thoughts. That is what I suspected but I wasn't 100% sure. I am waiting to see how the i9 benchmarks in upcoming reviews but so far, the base i9 looks like the right choice. Regarding RAM, you raised a very good point. I suppose my line of thinking is that I would rather have the RAM headroom available if I needed it as opposed to wishing I had bought it in the first place. I have been searching for right laptop for approximately 3 years now, and I am excited to pick up my first MacBook. I work as an Art Director so I rely heavily on Adobe products, but I have also picked up 3d modelling/rendering/animation and I wonder if the RAM will come in handy in the future. Thanks again!

@craftsman Thanks for your response. I suppose I'm not 100% sure if I can answer that question yet. I rely heavily on Adobe products but I have picked up a lot of 3d modelling/rendering/animation in the past 2 years, and I am hoping to integrate much more of it into my daily workflow. I wonder if running 3d simulations and having a ton of browser tabs open plus Adobe suite would really benefit from the 64 gigs or whether or not 32 gigs is enough. My current set up is only 16 gigs of ram and its always gasping for air so I would like to use a tool which can fly through what I throw at it.  Thanks again for your input!

ReplyQuote