2019 Intel NUC10I7FNH [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 Intel NUC10I7FNH [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [coldfuser]  

RSS

coldfuser
(@coldfuser)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

4k 27" LG, i7-10710U, Intel UHD Graphics, none, Win10 + evga RTX 2070 Super

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core X, EVGA Gefore RTX 2070, Caldigit cable 0.5m passive

Hardware pictures 

IMG 1811

I have a VESA mount extender coming in tomorrow, so that black box in the corner will be hidden behind my monitor. I use a CalDigit TS3 to share USB resources across the Nuc and Macbook. The CalDigit dock causes the Razer Core X to turn on even when Intel NUC is turned off. This may be caused by TB3 being available on boot of the NUC. I have to flip a TB3 cable to switch computers, otherwise this is my ideal setup.

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

This is not complicated. I took the m2 drive out of an old computer with AMD/Radeon. I performed the sysprep out of box experience. Computer BSOD complaining about AMD Ryzen drivers.

At this point, I did a reinstall of Windows but kept files. Windows came up using the iGPU. Computer would cold boot and send graphics to the monitor through the eGPU, but Windows still did not have it enabled. If I had been patient, I think it would have worked after Windows did some auto-detect on drivers. I switched back to iGPU and did a series of Windows updates, then eGPU worked automatically.  I'm guessing Win10 auto installed these drivers, because I did not have Nvidia drivers installed previously. After a few reboots and windows updates, the eGPU came up as a secondary monitor. I disabled iGPU in the device manager and Windows no longer thinks I have 2 monitors.

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

gpgpu

Game  1080P 4k 4k iGPU loobpack 
Resident Evil 6 20081 10879 8604

User benchmark indicates that the processor is running at 68%. I did a regedit to make the power settings available. Even when setting the performance minimum to 100%, I'm getting the same errors from userbenchmark. 

Sub-optimal background CPU (11%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC). CPU throttled at 68% by Windows. Ensure maximum processor state is set to 100%

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24253745

UserBenchmarks: Game 96%, Desk 84%, Work 69%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10710U - 83.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) - 105.9%
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB - 115.2%
RAM: Crucial CT16G4SFD8266.C16FD1 2x16GB - 87.7%
MBD: Intel NUC10i7FNB

=============
Version: 0.10.251 32 bit http://cuda-z.sf.net/
OS Version: Windows AMD64 6.2.9200
Driver Version: 432.00
Driver Dll Version: 10.10 (26.21.14.3200)
Runtime Dll Version: 6.50

Core Information
----------------
Name: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Compute Capability: 7.5
Clock Rate: 1800 MHz
PCI Location: 0:6:0
Multiprocessors: 40
Threads Per Multiproc.: 1024
Warp Size: 32
Regs Per Block: 65536
Threads Per Block: 1024
Threads Dimensions: 1024 x 1024 x 64
Grid Dimensions: 2147483647 x 65535 x 65535
Watchdog Enabled: Yes
Integrated GPU: No
Concurrent Kernels: Yes
Compute Mode: Default
Stream Priorities: Yes

Memory Information
------------------
Total Global: 4096 MiB
Bus Width: 256 bits
Clock Rate: 7001 MHz
Error Correction: No
L2 Cache Size: 48 KiB
Shared Per Block: 48 KiB
Pitch: 2048 MiB
Total Constant: 64 KiB
Texture Alignment: 512 B
Texture 1D Size: 131072
Texture 2D Size: 131072 x 65536
Texture 3D Size: 16384 x 16384 x 16384
GPU Overlap: Yes
Map Host Memory: Yes
Unified Addressing: No
Async Engine: No

Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 2219.38 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1659.08 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2598.5 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 1957.49 MiB/s
Device to Device: 159.017 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 9823.3 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: 316.571 Gflop/s
64-bit Integer: 2263.2 Giop/s
32-bit Integer: 9645.06 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 8902.92 Giop/s

Comments 

Windows had strange input lag and low framerate on 2d until I disabled the iGPU. The issue here is that if eGPU is not working correctly then I have no backup. eGPU works from cold boot and sometimes when replugging the cable. It's really a dream compared to the 16" macbook pro. I am very happy at how well this works. It's replacing my main desktop. I'll try to locate my Resident Evil 6 benchmarks from Macbook Pro 16".

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2019 Intel NUC10I7FNH [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

The_Livy and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coldfuser Thank you for sharing this nice build! Have you received the VESA extension mount to get the NUC in the back of the monitor? We'd love to see those photos!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Eminent Member

@coldfuser, I've been using the NUC10i7FNK myself since early February as well and have been too lazy to make a build for it yet. I was wondering if you have the same "issue" as i have with eGPU performance varying depending on how you boot the NUC? For me, performance seems significantly higher on both my GTX1060 as well as my GTX1070 when i enter BIOS and change any setting, then save&exit BIOS and let it boot. Compared to a coldboot without entering and editing BIOS first, i get roughly 10% less performance from my eGPUs. I'm also wondering if you had any problems with connecting the eGPU the first time? For me Windows would completely lock up back then and the only solution for me was to reinstall Windows using the eGPU as display output (in case you didn't notice yet, that brilliant little NUC supports eGPU output natively, including BIOS display via eGPU - Intel surely seems to know what their customers like to plug into that TB3 port!)

How to undervolt your GPU

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB
2019 Intel NUC10i7FNK, 16GB RAM + PM981a 1TB
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (Gigabyte GTX1070 ITX OC) - Custom Case solution (TBD)

ReplyQuote
coldfuser
(@coldfuser)

@itsage, I have here it is

xJ3VjPPL
E  Am3Np

@the_livy, I have not noticed any differences. I also see a black screen until I fully login to windows. I have TB3 enabled in the bios but no difference. I still get error 12 a lot and have to reboot the computer. Resume from sleep usually leaves me with no working display from the NUC or eGPU. 

2019 Intel NUC10I7FNH [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coldfuser, That's excellent!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @coldfuser

I also see a black screen until I fully login to windows. .... I still get error 12 a lot and have to reboot the computer. Resume from sleep usually leaves me with no working display from the NUC or eGPU. 

@coldfuser, that's odd, i haven't gotten any error 12 so far, maybe back when i tried connecting the eGPU after installing Windows instead of installing it via the eGPU. Resume from sleep works perfectly for me as well; apart from the common issue i always have with windows randomly waking up a few seconds after going to sleep and then taking another 10 or so minutes until it finally goes to sleep. However I haven't had issues with sleep with either GPU (GTX 1060 or 1070 with different eGPU PCBs - both Aorus Gaming Box ones though)

As for the black screen at login, I get the same issue - however, I noticed something on a reinstall before Windows went and installed the Intel UHD driver: an inactive/missing Intel UHD driver makes Windows show the login screen in software rendering mode, basically bypassing the lack of a loaded Nvidia driver (which, for some reason, happens after passing the login screen instead of before - as it does on standard Desktop PCs with Nvidia graphics cards). After discovering that, I just tried uninstalling the Intel UHD driver again and it worked - since Windows 10 doesn't like that and will just go and get a new one from Windows Update, i gave disabling the Intel UHD in device manager a try and ever since got the login screen displayed (still software render like == Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) via my eGPU. You may want to give that a try, if you can drive all your displays with the eGPU instead of using the UHD graphics.

@itsage, I actually wanted to mention it yesterday, the VESA mount actually comes in the package with the NUC (at least it did for me) - including all required screws, of course.

How to undervolt your GPU

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB
2019 Intel NUC10i7FNK, 16GB RAM + PM981a 1TB
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (Gigabyte GTX1070 ITX OC) - Custom Case solution (TBD)

ReplyQuote
Zhao Lang
(@zhao_lang)

@coldfuser, Is your hardware chain Core X -> Caldigit Dock -> NUC? Or Caldigit Dock -> Core X -> NUC?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote