2019 17" HP OMEN 17-cb0065TX (RTX2070) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 17" HP OMEN 17-cb0065TX (RTX2070) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 // Vive Cosmos Elite  

of  2
  RSS

stonk boi
(@stonk_boi)

@lycid

Ah fair, so there is a notable increase in performance in the 2080ti setup then?

I thought the thunderbolt 3 would completely bottleneck the gpu and cpu performance.

Also have you found any stuttering issues when playing games? I've heard quite a lot of people complain about that when using an egpu.

How much temperature decrease you get in the laptop overall? does it affect the cpu temperature as well?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
stonk boi
(@stonk_boi)

@mo_oi

Thanks for your benchmarks! 

With the increase in VR performance, do you find any notable increase in non-VR games as well?

Also have you tried running it on 4K since the 3080 is designed to run at that resolution.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Lycid
(@lycid)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @stonk_boi

@lycid

Ah fair, so there is a notable increase in performance in the 2080ti setup then?

I thought the thunderbolt 3 would completely bottleneck the gpu and cpu performance.

Also have you found any stuttering issues when playing games? I've heard quite a lot of people complain about that when using an egpu.

How much temperature decrease you get in the laptop overall? does it affect the cpu temperature as well?

Yes, there's a significant increase for me.

I'm definitely being bottlenecked in my RB15 by the TB3 port, but if I were to have an Icelake or the soon to be released tigerlake processors, then I wouldn't have nearly as much of a bottleneck since for these the TB3 ports direct connect to the CPU.

I had stuttering at first, this was solved by correctly installing the drivers (there are guides on this website) and by disabling my dGPU when I am plugged into the eGPU.

With my temps, I went from having 90-95C highs on the CPU while gaming to 80C highs, up to 75C highs if I force the fans on my laptop to run at full blast (I've found razer's fan profile is way, way more conservative than it should be when reaching gaming temps.

Laptop: Razer Blade Advanced 15" w/ GTX 2060, i7 8750H, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Razer Core x Chroma w/ 2080ti

stonk boi liked
ReplyQuote
stonk boi
(@stonk_boi)

@lycid

Yeah, I've read that the new tigerlake CPU will have the thunderbolt 4.

But I also read that the thunderbolt 4 won't be much faster than 3 with the same 40GB/s transfer rate. I assume that Intel will go with the same architecture as the icelake CPU in the tigerlake so we can actually see how much of an improvement tb 4 is.

Interesting, I usually run a cooler when gaming and set the fans to balanced and it managed to keep the temperature around low 80s and high 70s. I'm curious how much of a difference the egpu could make if that's the case! Also, how much is your temperature when running the egpu?

ReplyQuote
Mo oi
(@mo_oi)

@stonk_boi

I don't play non-VR games, now. Sorry. I focus on VR games.

I ran Time spy and Time spy extreme(4K).

dGPU2070 Time spy 7524 graphic7804 CPU6255

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51945385?

dGPU2070 Time spy Extreme 3473 graphic3673 CPU2657

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51945385?

RTX3080 Time spy 11792 graphic13544 CPU6805

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51459819

RTX3080 Time spy extreme 6142 graphic7846 CPU2754

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51946576?

2019 17" HP OMEN 17-cb0065TX (RTX2070) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

stonk boi liked
ReplyQuote
ElEl Penaflorida Mariano
(@elel_penaflorida_mariano)

do you think a evga 3080 ftw3 with 3 pin , will work with the razer core x chroma?

ReplyQuote
Mo oi
(@mo_oi)

@elel_penaflorida_mariano

Razer core x chroma has 6+2(8) pin x2 power supply, so it cannot handle 8pin x3.

2019 17" HP OMEN 17-cb0065TX (RTX2070) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ElEl Penaflorida Mariano
(@elel_penaflorida_mariano)

@mo_oi, so your saying that the 700 watts razer egpu will not work with the evga ftw3 that will have an available 8 pin?  it needs to have a psu that has 3 pin connectors of 8? 

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @elel_penaflorida_mariano

@mo_oi, so your saying that the 700 watts razer egpu will not work with the evga ftw3 that will have an available 8 pin?  it needs to have a psu that has 3 pin connectors of 8? 

Get a 8 pin to 2 8pin cable. If the power supply itself is single rail then it should work.

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Express-Adapter-Braided-Y-Splitter/dp/B072JR4H3N

Just put that on one of the 8pin cables... obviously at your own risk, but I see no reason why it would not work. The chroma x power supply is 700W (plenty of overhead for a 3080), and if it really is a single rail supply you shouldn't have to worry about over current protection. 

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2