2019 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (R...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909  

RSS

Gordon TheLostMushroom
(@gordon_thelostmushroom)

Hi! I've been wanting a 1 cable solution to my laptop at home and being a gamer as well, wanted better gaming performance. Hence I invested in an EGPU setup after doing much research. 
So as the title suggests, here's my setup.

Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth 13 (gtx 1650 max q version)

Processor: Quad-Core 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor
dGPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design (4GB GDDR5 VRAM)
iGPU: Intel (R) Iris Plus Graphics 
Memory: 16GB dual-channel (fixed)
Windows Version: Windows 10 Version1909 (OS Build 18363.778)

EGPU:

ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition 11GB GDDR6

Enclosure:

Razer Core X Chroma

How I installed stuff:

Getting it to work is easy because it is literally plug and play. Having my laptop on, i plugged in the thunderbolt cable from the Razer Core and my laptop immediately recognised the enclosure.
It then proceeded to install the drivers necessary for the 2080TI. I connected a external monitor using a usb-c to DP cable, where i plugged the usb-c end in the eGPU and the DP end into my monitor and the display turned on. 

Issues I have encountered:

1) Micro-stuttering (solved)

When running the Time-Spy benchmark tool, it reminded me that I had to disable the dGPU from Device Manager as I experienced micro-stuttering. I did that and the micro-stuttering in went away. Doing this also allows the CPU to run over its 15w preset and hence there was improvements in terms of FPS in game.

2) Low battery life after installing drivers for the 2080TI

So i was aware of this issue, and tried to follow the instructions given by this link:
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-15-razer-blade-15-gtx-1080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro-win10-1803-itsage/#post-63079

However, I was not able to solve this because I bumped into several problems.
Firstly, I wasnt able to run DDU in safe mode. When I opened DDU and chose the "launch in safe mode" option, my laptop reboots to safemode but DDU does not appear.
Hence, I proceeded to running DDU in normal mode instead. 
This is where I met the second issue. After I selected the "clean and restart" option, DDU uninstalled all my current NVIDIA gpu drivers (gtx1650 and rtx2080ti). 
After my laptop rebooted in unsigned Driver Mode, I opened up Device Manager but was only able to find Intel Iris Plus and the now unrecognisable RTX2080TI driver in the form of "VGA something something" sorry cant really rmb... 
Since I only had the unrecognised rtx2080ti driver under display adapters, I could only update that using the cuda toolkit as described in the instructions provided by the guy in the linked post above.
My gtx1650 max-q was no where to be found, so I had to go online and search for its drivers on the nvidia website and download them. However this makes thing not work as the drivers i updated wouldnt be of the same version as the one I installed using cuda for my RTX2080TI and hence I am still facing battery issues. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

UPDATE: I have found out with some help that the 1650gtx goes to "Other Devices" instead of Display Adapters. With that problem solved, I went ahead with the instructions, using DDU to remove both my NVIDIA GPU DRIVERS, use Cuda to update my 2080ti then my 1650gtx, then carrying out a custom Cuda install with only the boxes for NVIDIA GEFORCE EXPERIENCE and PhysX boxes checked.

However, my battery still reflects a max of 2.5 hours. Seems like the instructions did not work out for me. If anyone is able to fix battery problems post gpu install, please contact me.

3) Micro-stuttering after I run Apex Legends. (SOLVED)

I found out that its Logitech GHUB client that is giving me the problem. Reason why the issue happened only when I boot Apex Legends is because I have a lighting profile for my g560 speakers for Apex. When it switched to that, some software side thingy happens and causes micro-stutter. Ending the GHUB client in task manager solved the issue for me.

I would first like to clarify that I suffer no decline in gaming performance. However, I noticed that things just werent as smooth after i boot up Apex Legends.
By smooth i mean when i drag a folder around my desktop, it was buttery smooth but once i boot up Apex Legends and close it after, they started stuttering constantly.
It doesnt affect productivity or anything its just a little sore to the eyes when you minimising and maximising applications appear jittery and dragging folders around your desktop dont appear smooth anymore. However, this problem will not appear if I simply do not run Apex Legends so this is kinda weird...

Benchmarks: 

heaven1600x900
heaven2560x1440

This topic was modified 3 months ago
2019 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
anpham20
(@anpham20)

@gordon_thelostmushroom, nice setup and information Gordon. I bought and will be receiving the new RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Gaming Box tomorrow (very excited). I also have the same Razer Blade as yours so I guess I would have the same process as you mentioned.

Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Max-Q
Aorus Gaming Box 2080 Ti
Sonnet Breakaway 650W + AMD Radeon Vega RX Pro 64 / NIVIDA RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
Gordon TheLostMushroom

@anpham20, Cool! Please keep me updated on your progress! And if you managed to solve the battery life thing.. its kinda bugging me until now...

2019 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rb6freak
(@rb6freak)
Eminent Member

By smooth i mean when i drag a folder around my desktop, it was buttery smooth but once i boot up Apex Legends and close it after, they started stuttering constantly.

It doesnt affect productivity or anything its just a little sore to the eyes when you minimising and maximising applications appear jittery and dragging folders around your desktop dont appear smooth anymore. However, this problem will not appear if I simply do not run Apex Legends so this is kinda weird...

I know what you are talking about, I've had this problem on all Razer Blade's I have owned and I don't have anything Logitech on my system. My solution has been to leave the internal laptop display on and lid open. My guess is you have the internal screen disabled or lid closed. Try it with your Logitech software still running, I'm intrigued if it's the case.

2020 17" Dell XPS 17 9700 (RTX2060) [10th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gordon TheLostMushroom

@rb6freak, Its purely a logitech issue. If i dont have logitech software on, running apex doesnt give me stutters. And I do have my laptop display on and lid open all the time!

ReplyQuote
Viktor G
(@viktor_g)

Okay so I had the same battery issue as you and I think I solved it. For me, the CPU constantly was clocking at 3 GHz and task manager showed that "System" was using 18-25% of the CPU while in idle. This resulted in an abysmal 2h battery life. The method described above didn't work for me either.

What helped, however, was this:

1. Go into plane mode and reboot into safe mode.

2. Use DDU in order to delete the current driver, but don't restart the laptop.

3. Now restart into safe mode manually. Then use the NVSlimmer tool to install the current driver. Only choose the "core functionality" package.

4. Restart into normal mode. Download Nvidia control panel from the windows store. The issue shouldn't come up anymore!

I hope that helps! Another trick I used is limiting the CPU performance to 20% while on battery and potentially disabling the dgpu via macro. This way the fans never kick in, so you remain stealthy and silent and you get around 10h of battery life.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote