2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [10th,6C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORU...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [10th,6C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1909  

RSS

pbrunts
(@pbrunts)

System Specs 14-in Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7, 14in, i7 10710u - integrated graphics and windows 10

eGPU Hardware bought secondhand Aorus Gaming Box RX 580 with three tested cables - 1.5in passive TB3, 6ft passive TB3 (Cable Matters), and 6ft active TB3 (CalDigit)

Installation Steps This was mostly plug and play with the drivers. I had trouble restarting the computer after installing with the device attached (BSOD) but that was fixed by unplugging it during restart and now it's been fine. Part of this installation was testing a couple TB3 cables I bought and I did have to power cycle the device after switching the cables on random instances but it's not been too much of a hassle.

Benchmark Which brings me to benchmarks. I have three cables I am using: the 1.5ft passive cable that came with the device, a 6ft passive cable by Cable Matters, and a 6ft active cable by CalDigit. My intention is to be able to use this while retaining the laptop capabilities, so I expect I will use mostly the internal screen and would like the flexibility of a longer cable. However, I heard the thinkpad x1 thunderbolt ports don't play nicely with active cables so I bought a backup to test. I ran them through Unigine Heaven on both the internal display and an external monitor just to compare and the result were expected: the short cable runs the best, followed by the active cable, then the passive cable. An external monitor works better than the internal screen.

1.5ft cable on the internal display:

Unigine Internal 1.5ft Passive

1.5ft cable on the external monitor:

Unigine External 1.5ft Passive

6ft Active cable on the internal display:

Unigine Internal 6ft Active

6ft Active cable on the external monitor:

Unigine External 6ft Active

6ft Passive cable on the internal display:

Unigine Internal 6ft Passive

6ft Passive cable on the external monitor:

Unigine External 6ft Passive

Comments Regardless, they are all improvements on the gaming performance I was seeing so that's exciting. I still expect I will mostly use this on the internal screen but I haven't decided which cable I will keep between the 6ft ones. I may keep testing the active cable to see if any lingering problems like flickering or suddenly stopping exist with the Thinkpad drivers. The active cable was about 3 times the cost of the passive cable but it does lose performance, particularly on the internal screen so if I can make it work consistently, I will likely continue to use that.

I wanted to update the post with some pics now that I have I have this set up for working from home:

IMG 20200323 153947
IMG 20200323 153959
IMG 20200323 153952

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [10th,6C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

borygo77, txz81, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
manny809
(@manny809)

hey love your setup. i just bought the same model of the x1 carbon that you have.. i want to get and egpu but didn't know if it would work with this laptop, but have seen a few post like yours that have work. can you pls tell me how is performing. i don't want it for gaming is just for light video editing to work from home. would you still recommend it,?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Daniel Johansson
(@daniel_johansson)

Hi!

Very intereseting. Have you tried passmark with internal monitor? When I run passmark I can't get direct x 11 and 12 to use the Egpu with my x1 gen 6. Any thoughts?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote