2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + ...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10  

of  2
  RSS

rasel800
(@rasel800)

System specs

• 2020 MacBook Pro 13"
  • i7-1068NG7
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Windows 10 Build 19041.264 (recently updated to 19041.329 no issues)

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

• Complete default BootCamp installation steps including BootCamp software installation.
  • If already installed, no need to reinstall Windows or anything else.
  • Connect eGPU with Thunderbolt cable, any port.
  • Install latest nVidia driver.
  • Restart if required. Better to disconnect eGPU before restart, it takes long time in boot selection. Connect eGPU after booting to Windows.
  • If nothing happens after connecting eGPU and/or nVidia driver fails to detect, go to device manger and run "Scan for hardware change".

Benchmarks

Using laptop screen (not external monitor).

Geekbench 5 Scores - Intel Iris Plus (built-in):

• OpenCL - 10680
  • Vulkan - 9170

Geekbench 5 Scores - Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super:

• OpenCL - 91061
  • Vulkan - 76609
  • CUDA - 107963

Comments

So far, installation has been extremely smooth and performance is really good, was playing Metro Exodus and Control for few hours yesterday with ULTRA settings and RTX full/max, using laptop screen, using max. laptop display resolution (2560 x 1600). No issues, no hiccups, no freezing. All smooth and good...

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago
2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Nice to see a super simple Nvidia set up! Have you tried Pubg? Would be interested in hearing performance in that...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Zwalby
(@zwalby)

Works great. Used this guide for my MBP 2020 10th i5 + Razer core X + RTX 2080s.

I made a dumdum right away after testing it in some games.

Before I shut down the computer, I opened the geforce driver and hit disconnect gpu. 
Now it won’t be recognized by the drivers as I reconnect the egpu. I’ll try again tomorrow though, but any help is appreciated.

(I saw the "scan for hardware changes" now, will try that).

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rasel800
(@rasel800)

@eightarmedpet, don't have the game for PC, was playing in XBOX One before the eGPU setup, will have to buy...

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rasel800
(@rasel800)

Small observation after spending few days, WiFi and Bluetooth disappears/disconnects immediately after connecting the eGPU to the Thunderbolt port.

Usually comes back within few seconds, WiFi always comes back with no exception so far, however at times Bluetooth doesn't, even after scan for hardware change or disconnecting/reconnecting the eGPU multiple times, apparently Windows reboot is the only option I reckon to recover Bluetooth...

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
late_to_the_party
(@late_to_the_party)

@rasel800

Hi there, I'm trying to get a 2070 super to work with my 15 inch MacBook pro 11,3 (late 2013 gt750m) running high sierra. Would you be able to tell me which nvidia drivers you used and also if you needed to install any drivers for your egpu box? I wanted to get a Razer core X but none available so settled for a Sonnet 550w.

Purge wrangler recognised the card in high sierra but not having any luck with bootcamp windows. I tried with build 2004, and 1903 but no dice.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rasel800
(@rasel800)

@late_to_the_party, Razer Core X doesn't need a driver and latest nVidia driver 446.14-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe, although I don't think nVidia driver is the issue.

Win 10 19041.264 is proven to be capable of recognizing the eGPU without any issue, so Windows is not also the issue. What I can think of:

1. Check the eGPU enclosure website, if there is any driver specific to your enclosure is available for download.
  2. Check if the eGPU enclosure is recognized by windows without the GPU attached, for me when I connected Razer Core X without GPU, Windows recognized the empty Razer Core X and was showing in the taskbar as removable device
  3. Check the cable, it has to be Thunderbolt cable (different from power cable, which I also made a mistake initially, I was connecting using the USB-C power cable)
  4. Scan for hardware change from Device Manager few times

If you can get Windows to recognize the enclosure at least, you are half way there..

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
late_to_the_party
(@late_to_the_party)

Posted by: @rasel800

@late_to_the_party, Razer Core X doesn't need a driver and latest nVidia driver 446.14-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe, although I don't think nVidia driver is the issue.

Win 10 19041.264 is proven to be capable of recognizing the eGPU without any issue, so Windows is not also the issue. What I can think of:

1. Check the eGPU enclosure website, if there is any driver specific to your enclosure is available for download.
  2. Check if the eGPU enclosure is recognized by windows without the GPU attached, for me when I connected Razer Core X without GPU, Windows recognized the empty Razer Core X and was showing in the taskbar as removable device
  3. Check the cable, it has to be Thunderbolt cable (different from power cable, which I also made a mistake initially, I was connecting using the USB-C power cable)
  4. Scan for hardware change from Device Manager few times

If you can get Windows to recognize the enclosure at least, you are half way there..

Thanks for the reply, I've checked the driver support page for the Sonnet 550w Breakaway box and it doesn't list any drivers for it at all. It does say that it doesn't support Thunderbolt 2 devices so that may be the reason why although I think I recall seeing someone make a build with it on a similar vintage macbook. Also purge-wrangler recognised the box and card in High Sierra so maybe it's a windows bootcamp driver issue.

Windows is definitely not recognising the egpu as it doesn't appear in the task bar or device manager. I haven't used windows in over a decade, could someone direct me to where it should show up? I downloaded the Nvidia drivers and under dispaly adaptors it only shows up with the drivers for the GT 750m the macbook came with, it must have reinstalled them as I used DDU to remove them initially.

So with my limited knowledge of egpus and bootcamp windows, it seems either the Sonnet box doesn't support Thunderbolt connections using the T2-T3 adaptors, or Apple purposely omitted the bootcamp drivers to enable the Thunderbolt 2 connections to work with egpus. In macOS when I used the purge-wrangler script it recognised the RTX 2070 Super but blocked it as it says it wasn't supported in macOS. So it seems that the Sonnet Box does work in macOS but not in bootcamp High Sierra.

Please any help would be appreciated.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Nexby
(@nexby)

@rasel800, Hi! What is your CPU temp during game? I have the same MBP. Just tried it with Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT. It's my first MBP, and eGPU experience, and It was really disappointing. Battlefield 1, The Division 2 maxed out (2560x1440, no loopback), fps dropping from 70-80 to ~40-50, CPU load about 35-40% but temp is holding on 100 degrees.. is it ok? maybe Nvidia can save the situation.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, i7-1068NG7, 32Gb, 1Tb), Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
Adam Mesa
(@adam_mesa)

@rasel800 did you ever experience any random freeze-crashes with your RTX 2700 super? I just received one, have a very similar setup (4-port, i5, 16GB RAM; EVGA card) yet sometimes, particularly on desktop in windows bootcamp, my computer will freeze and do a hard crash. Since there's no "error message" per-say that shows up before it crashes, I'm unable to tell what the source is. Is my new GPU unstable? I haven't overclocked it, and the crashes occur most frequently when the GPU isn't under heavy load (e.g. just browsing chrome, watching netflix). Strangely, it's only happened once when in a game, and that was only at the beginning of launching Sekiro: Shadows die twice (this particular game is FPS capped and I noticed my processor stays maxed at 100%).

ReplyQuote
 of  2