2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [itsage]  

of  4
  RSS

Gary Gould
(@gary_gould)

I cant seem to figure out whats holding my system back? Running imac 2019 i9 processor and I dont get near your results with an external monitor on superposition. Aorus gaming box 2080ti running to asus 144hz monitor. Same settings here are my results. How can I squeeze more out of this egpu and machine and i feel my system for some reason under performs on external monitor tests across the board.

*disregard the video card in the screenshot, that's obviously the built in graphics. Another screenshot attached showing what actual ran in benchmark also attached.

@itsage any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@gary_gould, Thunderbolt 3 iMac has the TB3 connection directly to CPU so it's very similar to the 2020 Ice Lake 13-in MacBook Pro. I would say to monitor the CPU temperature during these tests and see if you can spot a pattern. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gary Gould
(@gary_gould)

@itsage, Sorry, I am very new to all this. Lets say I monitor the CPU temps as you suggest, what action should I take and at what point? Lets say the temp is low, does that mean I have a problem and I am not getting the full bandwidth, am I understanding you correctly?

I guess what could I provide here to better help you understand if maybe I am just incorrectly utilizing my egpu and system in some way. 

For example you posted nearly 20k on superposition with a i5 processor vs my i9. again I am stupid with some of this, so please cut me some slack while I learn Smile but seems mine should of been closer / higher than your results unless my iMac is honestly inferior to the MacBook pros, totally could be the case and wouldn't surprise me. 

I just keep looking for answers and unable to figure out what other "settings" or changes I should try and apply, most of the things I read in this forum are if you are having trouble or getting this specific error do this.... but in my case my egpu and system boot, run, play games without any hiccups really at all, very easy setup and process overall to be honest, nothing special that I did. 

When I posted my system and destiny 2 for example results, following the same settings as someone else they were claiming over 180+ FPS, even as high as 220 FPS. 

I run the same thing and I get anywhere from 90-140+ FPS. Its not bad, but the point being its well below this persons setup. and now I see again its below yours and you seem to have many builds and seem very knowledgable. 

So as I am learning to better understand how all this works, what can I provide you to better help me out? Some things to note:
I do have literally all the ports on my iMac being utilized for various mouse, keyboard, speakers, 2 external hard drives, would any of these slow the bandwidth down between the egpu and the system? I am utilizing the cable that came with the AORUS Gaming Box, should I upgrade the cable? Should I unplug everything when I am gaming and using windows? 

The only software I have running in windows is the game obviously, and then Skype and MS teams.... both that must be start up manually.... other than that I only use the windows boot for gaming nothing else.

I would be happy to post any logs, temps, readings, etc.

Another thing I read constantly here is disabling the internal GPU of the iMac in the device settings but that only seems to help people who are feeding the display back to the internal display, I am utilizing an external monitor to try and get the most power I can without utilizing any of the TB3 bandwidth as others here have said to use an external display for best results.

I appreciate your builds, your information and your contributions to this website, thank you for your time and help.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Eminent Member

If I were you the first thing I would rule out is all the other external devices, disconnect everything but the input devices and see if that makes a difference. If it does you might be able to reconfigure so that the eGPU has a full TB3 port dedicated to it and the rest runs off another port.

Also just to confirm - you are connecting the external monitor directly to the eGPU? Either way you can try connecting it the other way - I saw somewhere here that a user was getting better performance by plugging external monitor in to the laptop, which doesn't make a lot of sense but who knows and its an easy adjustment.

The next would be to see if the CPU is getting throttled - this can happen due to heat or based on power limits. You can use throttlestop to find out what your CPU is doing - you can watch the throttling as it happens and there is also a logging function. The software is a bit much to learn but you can start here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329 . The developer is very active in that thread.

If there is a power limit causing an issue you can use throttlestop to change the power limits. If the issue is thermal you may want to look at improving the cooling. On an iMac that might not be very easy to do.

Finally, this would be the most hassle but you can try updating your windows 10 to the latest build, as it looks like yours is somewhat outdated. Make sure you have the latest MacOS as well with the latest bootcamp drivers.

Based on your system you should be getting comparable performance to itsage's build, it's just a matter of figuring our what is holding you back.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gary Gould
(@gary_gould)

@lwf thank you for the follow up. Didn't realize I wasn't subscribed to this topic, so I apologize for the delay. 

Let me review these items you posted and get back with you. thanks again for helping out!

ReplyQuote
Dairy High
(@dairy_high)

Hi everybody, my first post here!

I own a 27" 2017 iMac with a Core i5 3.8. I am considering getting this eGPU mainly to play Microsoft Flight Simulator in Windows 10.

I can see there are a few AORUS 2080Ti Gaming Box owners in this thread. Could you please your takeaways from using this device for a few months now?

Is it prone to issues or is it worth getting? Thanks for your help!

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
Gary Gould
(@gary_gould)

@dairy_high, I love mine. Super solid and no issues at all and installation was pretty much plug and play. The only "wrinkle" I have is when I first boot up windows to simply turn on the egpu right as I see the spinner on the startup screen. Thats the only real thing I have to do. Other than that it works awesome!

ReplyQuote
Dairy High
(@dairy_high)

@gary_gould, That’s cool! Have you figured out the issues with decreased performance that you have mentioned previously?

ReplyQuote
Gary Gould
(@gary_gould)

@dairy_high, No not yet, I am still playing around with some settings here and there. If I make any real advancements in the performance I will update you for sure.

ReplyQuote
Dairy High
(@dairy_high)

@gary_gould, Thanks. I hope you will succeed! Hopefully I will be able to share my experience here too, once I purchase one. Who knows who will be first. Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  4