2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 // my 2nd RTX 3080 build  

of  4
  RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage, those are some fantastic views! Defo jealous of them too, the lake in summer must be amazing.

Fingers crossed for RX6800/xt drivers in macOS, I bought another mini in the end after my Hack started corrupting SATA SSD's (no idea how/why, but 2 SSD's have become corrupt) so will be setting my my Mini with an eGPU in a month or two when hopefully GPUs will actually be available to buy. I think I'll be using my 5K with it so will probably have to go Nvidia so I can hotplug -  it's a nightmare trying to boot (into W10) with a GPU and a TB3 monitor attached.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet, I'm tempted to run Hackintosh on some of my builds but quickly remember I needed to diverse my computing needs rather than chaining myself deeper in Apple's ecosystem. The non-Apple computers are now running Windows and Linux just in case. I'm waiting for more matured workaround to get Linux running on the M1 Mac mini. With Thunderbolt support, the M1 Macs should be able to run eGPU.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Abner Yang
(@abner_yang)

@espltd, hi, I will gather more numbers in the upcoming days and maybe post my build here. My experience with egpu in 2077 and some other games are not really inspiring, I gain almost no improvement from switching 3070 to 3080, might have something to do with the bandwidth bottleneck. 

So far, I just can’t recommend you purchase a high-end egpu set-up for 4K gaming, it’s actually cheaper to buy a desktop for a better overall experience.

Actually I think 5500M is already a really great GPU for a MacBook Pro 16 at least for most esport titles, I can play overwatch in steady 150FPS at 1080p. I don’t mean egpu can’t bring you a improvement, however it’s not as astonishing as you would expect.

@itsage, Thanks. Could you kindly share your settings? Maybe I should run the game in higher res, my issue is I currently don’t have a 4K monitor and the game doesn’t seems to support super sampling. It’s really frustrating to see a significant frame rate drop around 30~40 in a 1080p campfire scene within 2077, RTX off and even DLSS on, I have tried 3070 and 3080, no difference.

I do absolutely crank my CPU running constantly at 3.7GHz and consuming 60watts of power.

I am working on a benchmarking project and hope to find out where exactly the bottleneck occurs.

2019 16” MacBook Pro [9th, 8C16T, H] + RTX 3080 @ TB3-32Gbps (RAZER Core X)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@abner_yang, Here's my graphics settings for the game on this 2020 13-in MacBook Pro + RTX 3080 Gaming Box.

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JB Reyes
(@jb_reyes)

Hi @itsage! Are you constantly updating your MacOS (BigSur) and Windows 10 to their latest version? Moreover, did you update the firmware of your RTX card lately due to the Nvidia ReBar update? I just did these and got the error code 12 (I'm not sure which one is the culprit) 🙁 

I want to know if anyone got the same issue as mine. (My build is Mantiz Saturn Pro 2 with Asus RoG Strix RTX 3070 and external drive on MBP 13" 2020)

This post was modified 7 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jb_reyes, I would guess the ReBar update is most likely to cause error 12. I have not updated my RTX 3080 Gaming Box. Windows 10 is on 20H2 and macOS version doesn't effect eGPU in Boot Camp.

ReplyQuote
JB Reyes
(@jb_reyes)

@itsage, thank you! Can you help me confirm if NVflash supports eGPU? I tried flashing my video card to revert the firmware to the old bios but it won't detect it (No nvidia display adapter found). 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jb_reyes, I'm not familiar with NVflash to comment. Last time I looked into it was a few years ago and it might have required CLI so I wasn't comfortable using it.

ReplyQuote
JB Reyes
(@jb_reyes)

@itsage sure no problem Smile the firmware update is the culprit for error 12. So, let's avoid it for the meantime Smile

ReplyQuote
alone1i
(@alone1i)
Eminent Member

@itsage I just received my core x and 3060 today and would love to pair with my 2020 13" MacBook Pro (i7). Is this the procedure I have to follow when installation-

1. Install Windows 10 (21H1) through bootcamp

2. Power on core x and connect it to mac with thunderbolt cable

3. Windows will do windows thing automatically

4. Download and install nVIDIA driver from nVIDIA site

5. At the end of the installation, it will ask for restart.

Now, shall I restart system as it is (everything connected)? Or have special procedure.

When I need to use eGPU later, do I have to connect core x after booting to window?

Btw, I have no external display and I would like to work with it into my internal screen.

Would appreciate your advise and suggestion. 

ReplyQuote
 of  4