2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 // my 2nd RTX 3080 build  

of  4
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@alone1i, Don't click Restart Now after the drivers installation. In order to use the internal display with an eGPU, you'd need the iGPU to be active and functional. Having an eGPU connected at boot would deactivate the iGPU by default. Therefore you can try booting the computer into Windows without the eGPU then hot-plug the eGPU when Windows finishes loading. If that doesn't work, you'd need to use an EFI boot loader such as the modified apple_set_os v0.5. This is what I'm using to always keep the iGPU activated when booting up with the eGPU connected.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

@itsage Hi!

Just bought a new MacBook Pro 13'' mid 2020 (i7 10th Gen 2,3GHz / 32Gb RAM) and GYGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX3080 (rev. 2.0)

I am trying to connect and went through the standard connection procedures, such as:
- partitioned the disk in macOS through the BootCamp Assistant
- installed windows (downloaded from Microsoft webpage)
- after installing windows installed BootCamp drivers
- updated windows (to build 19041.vb_release.191206-1406, the latest available updates in the Update Center for today)
- updated BootCamp (to version 6.1.0)
- downloaded the latest drivers for the RTX2080 from the nvidia website (472.12)
- in maOS recovery mode I turned off Secure Mode to "No security" and External Boot to "Allow booting"

- Then I connected the eGPU

further difficulties occurred:
- the eGPU starts making a lot of noise when connected.
- the eGPU is detected in the device manager, but cannot display an image on second display.
- no LED-lights from eGPU after Windows logo appears on startup

- so, I got the Code 12 problem

🙁

At the same time, this eGPU works perfectly with my previous mac - MacBook Pro 15" 2016 (2,9GHz quad-core i7 / 16Gb RAM / Intel HD 530 + Radeon Pro 460 dGPU)

Can you please tell me how I should be and what actions need to be taken to make this configuration work? I checked all egpu.io and only you have the same config..

Snipaste 2021 09 25 19 43 51
Snipaste 2021 09 25 19 44 44

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2020 (i7 2,3GHz quad-core, 32Gb RAM, 2Tb SSD) + GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2080 = not working yet!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@max-vorotnikov, This 2020 Ice Lake MacBook Pro is rather challenging with eGPU in Boot Camp. You may have to try a different version Windows 10 or 11 unfortunately.

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

@itsage, Thank you for responding! 🙂 

So the problem with memory allocation (Large Memory sector / DSDT) depends only on the version of Windows?

Is the game worth the candle with the 2020 versions?

What are my chances of a successful connection? I have about 3-4 days left until I can try the connection, after which I will no longer be able to return the MacBook to Apple and get my money back.

If I still can't set up the configuration and have to change my MacBook to another, can you advise something?

2020 13" with i5 or is it really better to try 2019 or 2018? 16"?

Minimize RAM to 16GB (does it have any effect?)

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2020 (i7 2,3GHz quad-core, 32Gb RAM, 2Tb SSD) + GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2080 = not working yet!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@max-vorotnikov, I would recommend returning the MacBook Pro for a Windows machine if you were to use Windows more. The newly announced Surface Book Studio is a nice choice with Thunderbolt 4 and 11th gen H-CPU.

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

@itsage, I understand your point ... But, unfortunately, I also actively use macOS, just without an eGPU. So I choose exactly from Apple laptops, preferably 13 ''

ReplyQuote
PKF
 PKF
(@pkf)

@max-vorotnikov, I have 2020 MBP 13" and I didn't have any problems with 3080 + Razer X Chroma.

Everything worked fine with simple Bootcamp install and plug'n'play in any step of system loading.

My problem started with upgrade to 3080ti - I got code 12 which now I can fix only with Windows downgrade to 1903 V1 - everything works fine again.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

Ok, so here some updates

1. When installing Windows version 1903 V1 the connection is correct, the eGPU was immediately identified even before the installation of the nVidia drivers. I can live with this, but still want newer versions to be able to establish a connection

2. Any attempts to install other versions of Windows (including 11) always result in Code 12

attempts:

- installing drivers via PowerShell

- installing different driver versions from nVidia website

- HackFlags

- disable 2 of 4 Thunderbolt ports and other devices

- update drivers from Intel

ReplyQuote
PKF
 PKF
(@pkf)

You can try to disable three of four Thunderbolt ports - I had success with that with Razer Controller in Core X - before switching of unused TB Ports it didn't work also. But in my setup this didn't affect error 12 code of Video Adapter

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

@pkf, thanks for the hint!

I already tried disabling 2 and 3 other ports in Device Manager but it didn't work. Is there some other way to disable the devices?

ReplyQuote
 of  4