Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 // my 2nd RTX 3080 build  

of  4
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@max-vorotnikov, I tried a Razer Core V2 + Pro W5700 with my 2020 13-in MacBook Pro running Win10 1903 V1 just now. The eGPU worked through hot-plug with the disablement of 3x PCI Express Root Ports. In Device Manager, click View > Devices by Connections, then expand PCI Bus to disable three PCI Express Root Ports below the very top one. This top port is the one closet to TAB key.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MelkorStar
(@melkorstar)

I tried a Mantiz + RTX3080 with my 2020 Macmini running Win10 1903 V1 just now.
But I Can't install nvidia lastest driver or version 471
I Want to try Win10  20h2 next. Which version of nvidia driver shoud i prepare 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

@melkorstar, in the end, after many attempts, I could not start any other version of Windows, except 1903 V1

In all other versions of Windows, there is a conflict at the level of the UEFI firmware, which cannot correctly determine the Large Memory sector under the eGPU. Also I tried Windows 11, same results

all versions nVidia drivers are installed correctly, but the external display works through the eGPU only if the Intel Graphics adapter is disabled in the Device Manager

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2020 (i7 2,3GHz quad-core, 32Gb RAM, 2Tb SSD) + GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2080 = not working yet!

ReplyQuote
MelkorStar
(@melkorstar)

@max-vorotnikov, thx you reply, i disabled windows updates , maybe i shouldn't

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Max Vorotnikov
(@max-vorotnikov)

@melkorstar, yes, literally the first cumulative updates, including security updates, immediately break the definition of eGPU. Therefore, you need to severely restrict updates through the Local Policy

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2020 (i7 2,3GHz quad-core, 32Gb RAM, 2Tb SSD) + GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2080 = not working yet!

ReplyQuote
FreezerXT
(@freezerxt)

Hi!

As I am into BootCamp experiments for some time now, I can confirm that there can be quite some differences between machines. I have just bought myself a fairly seldolmly used 2020 MBPro 4TB i5 / 16 / 512, just the same spec like part of this build. There is certainly a chance to get it to run under Win10 1903 V1 by using the "turn it all off before you install anything" method: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-13-macbook-pro-10th4cg-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/ >> confirmed it last night.

But bl**dy hell is it complicated and determined to fail (you really have to stick to every step, otherwise: happy reinstalling). If you look at my 2018 MBPro 4TB config, I have noticed not a single issue in months now running 21H1, updating like on your daily laptop. The only downside which I quite ignore is that the internal Macbook screen is stuck at Windows' boot up logo - well known and I couldn't care less. Coldplugging is mandatory of course.

On the 2020 MBPro, Code 12 is your friend if you don't use the "tab TB port" while TB support turned off on the other 3 on the MBPro 2020 4TB, at least with my Radeon - an several others - anybody I suppose. To me it looks almost like the 2020 has gone back to old days when 2016 / 2017 MBPros hadn't full throttle on 50% of their TB ports which I quite dislike. I thought I would opt for a slight improvement here, but things did rather go downhill. So I am actually thinking about giving the 2020 MBPro back to my dealer as it just rose problems when there weren't any left. I also noticed that even under MacOS the 2020 has poor USB / TB periphal power supply, as my 2.4G mouse dongle got stuck sometimes under heavy load, just as my external SSD broke down a bit in performance figures. Maybe this helps some of you!

2018 MBPro 4TB, 2.3 / 8 / 256 + PowerColor 570 4GB Red Devil Edition in Sonnet Breakaway 350 enclosure + BootCamp Windows 10 21H1 latest updates on external 256 GB SSD + Bootcampdrivers.com JAN2019 drivers; working supersmoothly.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@freezerxt, It is on Apple to optimize the firmware of the 2020 13-in MacBook Pro. It's the only Intel Mac with on-die Thunderbolt controller. My guess is their engineering team was already moving on to M1-series systems by the time the 2020 Ice Lake MBP came out. There's performance advantage to having this integrated Thunderbolt connection but as we all learned, it takes a lot of effort to make it work.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FreezerXT
(@freezerxt)

In my opinion your guessing is quite close to actual facts. Therefore I am not too optimistic about Apple updating an, thinking of their total shift to M1 processors, outdated machine. Another thing I noticed about graphics perfomance in comparison is that my Radeon on the 2020 MBP performs badly no matter what I am setting up for graphics. The calculation of images seems to be erratic and not consistent, just like the whole system was "in a haste". Difficult to describe actually, I have never seen such a behavior before. That wouldn't be too bad if gaming hadn't become almost impossible (and I am not talking about shooters, but Settlers, the Stronghold series etc).

To be honest, I am done for the moment with the 2020 MBPro. If there is new success, I will possibly come back to buy one, but today just seems like the wrong time doing so. And as I am happy with my 2018 MBPro I will just go on with my setup, although the original plan was of course to double the RAM and the hard drive space and, of course, to benefit from the direct thunderbolt connection. If I didn't care that much about BootCamp and playing my "back in the days games" on the eGPU, I'd just have gone for the M1, I suppose.

Anyway: I appreciate you did a good nVidia build with the 2020 MBPro!

2018 MBPro 4TB, 2.3 / 8 / 256 + PowerColor 570 4GB Red Devil Edition in Sonnet Breakaway 350 enclosure + BootCamp Windows 10 21H1 latest updates on external 256 GB SSD + Bootcampdrivers.com JAN2019 drivers; working supersmoothly.

ReplyQuote
 of  4