2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosur...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@kobazik, I would guess it is the iSight camera because WiFi adapter gets disabled during Thunderbolt device initiation.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dras
 dras
(@dras)

I kinda followed your guide, itsage, but have gotten some quite different results.

1. Disable Secure Boot and allow Boot of External Devices [in Recovery Mode] - in my eager to move on I totally forgot step 1.
  2. Install Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (version 19362.30) through Boot Camp Assistant [in macOS] - found here
  3. Disable automatic Windows Updates through either Group Policy or Services [in Windows] - signed out after this, because I never really know when changes to policies are mandated.
  4. Disable bottom three PCI Express Root Ports in Device Manager [in Windows]
  5. Run DDU to disable Windows automated driver installation and remove graphics drivers [in Windows Safe Mode]
  6. Hot-plug eGPU then install drivers from AMD website [in Windows]
  7. Shut computer down instead of restarting at the prompt of the Radeon Installer [in Windows]
  8. Boot the computer into Windows without the eGPU connected and hot-plug once Windows fully loads when the blue Windows logo appeared - what can I say, I'm a noob, this is my first attempt at eGPU.
  9. Got the dreaded error 207 in the middle of installation [in Windows]
  10. Rebooted without disconnecting the eGPU, after logging the screen turned red (green and blue values at 0), and the system resource allocation pause occurred [in Windows]
  11. Waited it out, and disconnected and reconnected the eGPU [in Windows]
  12. External display lights up, and the eGPU is active and working.

Now, with a few reboots since installing, I have found out, that I can only get the eGPU to work when cold plugging (if that means booting with the eGPU connected). Hot-plugging does nothing. Apart from that, the hardware performs as expected, and I'm a happy camper. Everything in my setup is quite vanilla, no messing with bootloader, no OC, etc.

Specs:

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.15.5 (19F96) & Win10 1903 (19362.30)

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430 [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 980 Ti @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PE4C 3.0) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dras, Unfortunately this particular 2020 13-in Ice Lake CPU MacBook Pro seems to behave slightly different for everybody. I've tried many different eGPU enclosures with most of the Radeon graphics cards I have for testing. They all work the same way. Did you check the box in DDU Option that prevents Windows from downloading drivers for connected devices?

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dras
 dras
(@dras)

Posted by: @itsage

@dras, Unfortunately this particular 2020 13-in Ice Lake CPU MacBook Pro seems to behave slightly different for everybody. I've tried many different eGPU enclosures with most of the Radeon graphics cards I have for testing. They all work the same way. Did you check the box in DDU Option that prevents Windows from downloading drivers for connected devices?

I did, and it works as intended, I think. As I mentioned, my eGPU works to the extend that I could want it to.

However, I accidentally found myself on the Windows Update screen, and it instantly installed loads of updates. So now things have become a little more wonky. I tried uninstalling as many updates as possible, but things are not back to completely awesome. I'm thinking about redoing the install.

But how are we supposed to install security updates and what not, if we cannot even open the Windows Update screen without updating to patches that breaks functionalities?

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430 [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 980 Ti @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PE4C 3.0) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@dras, unfortunately it is hard to know in advance which updates or patches may unintentionally break egpu (or other) functionality, so you need to make your own decisions about prioritizing system stability vs having the latest updates.

The instructions below are from @andygev35's build and detail how to disable the automatic download and install of updates. This changes it so that Windows will still notify you when updates are available but will not automatically download or install them. If you see an update in that list that you still want to apply (like a specific security fix) then I'd recommend looking up the Windows Knowledge Base ID (something like KB123456) to find a standalone installer that you can download from Windows.

1. As soon as installation is complete and you land on the Windows 10 desktop for the first time, you'll need to run gpedit.msc to disable automatic Windows updates.
  2. On the Local Group Policy Editor windows, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Click on Configure Automatic Updates.  Click on Edit policy setting to open the Configure Automatic Updates dialog.  On the Configure Automatic Updates dialog, select Enabled in the left pane, in the Options section click on the Configure Automatic Updating Combo Box and in the dropdown list select Notify for download and notify for install.  If followed correctly, this will stop automatic installation of Windows Updates and only notify you that there are updates to install, which of course you don't want to do.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I tried pairing this 2020 13-in MacBook Pro with Nvidia eGPU and there was no success (with Windows 10 1903 18362.30). Once I did a clean installation of Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264) Nvidia eGPU was working immediately through hot-plug. No workarounds or component disablements were needed. The downside is that AMD eGPU no longer work with this Windows version. I will try PCI.sys file replacement next to see if that would help getting Win10 2004 work with both AMD and Nvidia eGPU.

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@itsage, that was my experience too, build 19041.264 seems like a magic bullet for NVIDIA eGPUs.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jonodavis, My guess is a change in Thunderbolt 3 H2D for Nvidia eGPUs with the on-die Titan Ridge. Prior to this Ice Lake CPU, all Nvidia eGPUs were capped around 22XX MiB/s for H2D. It's now 24XX MiB/s. Windows 10 1903 might not have the right drivers/allocation for this bandwidth improvement. Again the lack of disclosure from Intel and Thunderbolt 3 partners certainly doesn't help users in figuring things out.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage, Sad thing here is that eGPU and I'd say Thunderbolt seems like a general afterthought in Windowsland. For Apple, all their laptops basically rely on just this one port, so proper functionality is a requisite (Catalina has been rather fun for them though). Microsoft - well they claim to avoid Thunderbolt due to security reasons. Lame and defeatist attitude (should work around security limits) that doesn't benefit consumers. T2 chip is generally widely condemned (for good reason) but this is one of its positives - keeps Apple systems immune to more hardware oriented attacks like cold boot attacks. The eGPU scene has become far more complicated since Windows 1903.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor, Well said and it is sad. Microsoft has been refusing to embrace Thunderbolt for nearly a decade now. I will not buy any of their computer hardware until they adopt Thunderbolt connectivity.

ReplyQuote
 of  5