2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosur...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  5
  RSS

ShellShocked
(@shellshocked)

@itsage, thanks for the update been checking on this thread daily as my new MBP arrives in 3 days Smile

2020 Mac Book Pro 13" i7 1068NG7 32GB RAM 1TB SSD (shipped!)
eGPU: TBD depending on what happens on the ice lake thread

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@shellshocked, Do share your build once you have it all set up and going. Have you decided on the eGPU yet? My recommendation is AMD due to compatibility with both macOS and Windows. Can't go wrong with an RX Vega 56 if you can get one. Otherwise RX 5700/XT is a solid choice.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ShellShocked
(@shellshocked)

@itsage, got it today! trudging through migration and setup coz kids.

I might go for a used aorus gaming box enclosure + 5700XT combo for now until the 2020 cards come out but haven't made up my mind just yet. On one hand I have no use case for eGPU on OS X, on the other we're moving to europe probably just before the new cards come out so it may make more sense to go cheap, sell before we go then buy the new one over there just to travel lighter.

I'd save more money using the same space for a kickass 4K projector for example VS buying it over there. Decisions, decisions!

ReplyQuote
debaser
(@debaser)

@itsage - Thanks so much for your work on this particular build. Super helpful for me because your build is so similar to what I have in mind.

Few quick questions, for when you get the chance:

1. Has the update to Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264) broken the hot plug-and-play functionality that you had for the original GPU in this build (PowerColor RX 5700)?

2. Would the 5700 build have similar luck with a Razer Core X Chroma, under 19041.264? This is the only eGPU in stock in my area.

3. Curly one: I have a AW3420DW 3440x1440 120hz monitor (apparently Free-Sync works, although it has a G-Sync module). Ignoring the Free-Sync gamble, do you foresee any issues? It gives me confidence that this is working on your 3440x1440 100hz monitor.

Thanks a lot for your help. Hope the questions aren't too noob, planning to order the following this week:

2020 13" MacBook Pro - i5-1038NG7/Iris Plus Graphics iGPU/32GB RAM/1TB SSD
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8GB or Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700XT 8GB Video Card (both are the same price)
Razer Core X Chroma

Planned build:
Radeon RX 5700 XT (make and model TBC)
Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
Test1
(@test1)
Eminent Member

Awesome guide as always @itsage ! Have you tried any of these setups using your 2016-17 15" MBP RP460?

Also according to this post, using a specific insider build called (FAST) seem to be quite reliable. Are you using that windows version for the build in this thread?

Here is the forum post mentioning Windows insider (FAST): https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/error-12-on-bootcamp-has-been-fixed-by-microsoft-in-windows-insider-fast/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

@itsage

bla bla bla... just give us all the info about that eGPU prototype 😛

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@shellshocked, The first generation Gaming Box can only fit an ITX graphics card. I would recommend either VisionTek RX 5500 XT ITX from Dell website or PowerColor RX 5600 XT ITX if you can find one in stock. The Gaming Box is the perfect travel eGPU because it comes with the travel case and everything is in one box.

@debaser Each Mac is different when it comes with Boot Camp eGPU setup. The smallest of variants can make or break a setup. What I've found with the 2020 13-in MacBook Pro (w/ Ice Lake CPU) is that AMD eGPUs can work only with Windows 10 1903 V1 (18362.30 to .295). Nvidia eGPUs on the other hand don't work with that Windows 10 version at all. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 2004 (19041.264). Therefore you should install the Win10 version based on the graphics card you want to use in Boot Camp. The Thunderbolt 3 enclosures don't make a difference in my experience. Same goes for monitors.

@test1 I no longer have 2016 15-in MacBook Pro. I used that particular Mac model for 3 years and learnt many eGPU-related things on it. The best setup procedure is detailed in this Mantiz Venus + RX 5700 XT build [link]. Last time I used it in Boot Camp, the Windows version didn't matter. I needed DSDT override alongside automate-eGPU EFI boot loader.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
debaser
(@debaser)

@itsage, Thank you - appreciate it.

Planned build:
Radeon RX 5700 XT (make and model TBC)
Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
PeachComb
(@peachcomb)

Thanks a lot - it works for me with Windows 1903 - 18362.30 and the razer x chroma with an AMD RX5500XT together with my MacBook Pro i7(-1068NG7) 2.3 GHz.

The only annoying thing is, that I cannot cold boot right now - is there any fix for that yet?

Cheers,

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ShellShocked
(@shellshocked)

@itsage, fully aware. I was pretty sure I'd found a 5700 in ITX form factor but I can't seem to be able to find the link.

for me atm it's not just the trip itself but more about not knowing the space we're moving to since we were not able to travel there beforehand. I therefore have to assume I will have to stow away the whole setup when not in use coz kids (also determining factor for the projector vs PC monitor decision)

ReplyQuote
 of  5