2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win1...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10  

of  2
  RSS

Kieran Barker
(@kieran_barker)

Hi guys, after a bit of tinkering I managed to get my 6800 XT working in bootcamp. Now, if you have the same configuration as me PLEASE follow the guide I am going to link below, I did every step on there, only having to adjust a tiny bit and it worked.

System specs:

• 2.0 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-1038NG7)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics

eGPU Hardware

FOLLOW EVERY STEP TO THIS BUILD GUIDE ---> 2020 13″ MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35] | External GPU Builds (egpu.io)

Brief overview of the above guide (Don't follow these steps, it's just to give you an idea of what you'll need to do)

• Required windows edition: Windows 10 1903 V1 (Use clean install)
  • Once installed, disable auto update in windows settings
  • Disable 3 of 4 thunderbolt ports

For more info, and details on how to do this, look at the build I linked.

What did I do differently?

• When rebooting into safe mode, I encountered an issue where I could not log in. To fix this, I made my account local instead by going into settings>Accounts>Sign in with local account instead, meaning I was not dependent on the internet in order to boot into safe mode.

That's all I did different, if you have my config (or similar) please try the build I linked.

BENCHMARKS

The link to my  6800xt config and is below (Don't pay attention to the fact that all the scores are 0%, some glitch with the website.)  Scroll down to see the gpu performance.

Rx 6800 XT : Apple MacBookPro16,2 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

GAMING

Forza Horizon 4 worked a treat, getting 80-90 fps on ultra details at 4k resolution.

There have been a few games that have been problematic and underperforming, namely teardown, Jurassic World evolution and some OpenCL games wouldn't even launch.

Other than the titles listed above, everything else has been performing "fine" or "good" in my eyes. You have to go into this expecting diminishing returns from a desktop in some titles due to the inherent bottlenecks of laptop CPUs and TB3.

I want to say thanks to @itsage for the advice, and obviously @andygev35 for his outstanding build guide!

Good luck everyone, and here's hoping for native MacOS support before too long!

LAPTOP: MacBook Pro 13 2020 (4 thunderbolt)/ EGPU: RX 6800XT/ ENCLOUSURE: Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@kieran_barker, Thank you for putting together this build! I'm surprised and glad to see Forza Horizon 4 is working well for you through Thunderbolt 3 eGPU. We have had performance issues with the game on older cards.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Step
 Step
(@step)

Nice post, useful for me as I am planning to buy a Razer Core X and an RX 6700 (if it's supported by MacOS by the time they are released, hopefully).

Do you have to disable all the remaining Thunderbolt ports? I still want to use a USB-C hub if possible?

Also having a Mac Mini 2018 i5 32GB 256GB.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.5.1 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

@step, Hi I'm using the exactly same configuration as the host. So I guess I can answer question.

Well, as a matter of fact, disable 3 of 4 ports means that you just disable the function of Thunderbolt 3. Besides, the basic function of USB-C is avaliable. Which means, charge your mobile phone, transfer data, read/write USB drive and so on are avaliable. In a word, you can use your USB-C hub while disabling other 3 Thunderbolts.

2020 MacBook Pro 13" (4 Thunderbolts)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM
Razer Core X, XFX 5700 XT 8GB

Step liked
ReplyQuote
Step
 Step
(@step)

Posted by: @sean_lou

@step, Hi I'm using the exactly same configuration as the host. So I guess I can answer question.

Well, as a matter of fact, disable 3 of 4 ports means that you just disable the function of Thunderbolt 3. Besides, the basic function of USB-C is avaliable. Which means, charge your mobile phone, transfer data, read/write USB drive and so on are avaliable. In a word, you can use your USB-C hub while disabling other 3 Thunderbolts.

That's exactly what I was looking for, because I still want to be able to use the mouse and keyboard (and preferably Windows on a separate USB-SSD). Thanks for the useful insight!

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.5.1 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

@step, Yeah, just like what I said, you can easily use your mouse and keyboard while booting up from BootCamp with eGPU.

As for the Windows on a separate USB-SSD, I'm not sure whether it'll work or not. Because most of guides or builds are writing for internal SSD. But... you can have a try to see if it works. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Step
 Step
(@step)

@sean_lou, Well I was planning to first try and install Windows internally and add the games on an external SSD drive for space. So based on what you tell me, that should work. It'll be a bit of trial and error but from what I've read here it should work. Still waiting for the RX 6700 (preferably with an update in MacOS including the drivers and support however I learned from the years that might take a while).

Gonna try it like Kieran and itsage! Also thanks Sean!

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

@step, Haha You're welcome. I just share something that I have learned.

Oh, and I think I misunderstood you earlier. I thought you wanted to install Windows 10 on your external SSD. If you just want to install your game on an external hard drive, that'll be fine.

And 6000 series AMD graphic card won't be immediately supported in macOS. I suggest you focus on the Apple offcial support website ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544), hope to see your build one day!

Step liked
ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

Posted by: @sean_lou

@step, Haha You're welcome. I just share something that I have learned.

Oh, and I think I misunderstood you earlier. I thought you wanted to install Windows 10 on your external SSD. If you just want to install your game on an external hard drive, that'll be fine.

And 6000 series AMD graphic card won't be immediately supported in macOS. I suggest you focus on the Apple offcial support website ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544), hope to see your build one day!

Oops, wrong website. New link down below.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

ReplyQuote
Step
 Step
(@step)

@sean_lou, Well preferably Windows (and its games) both on the USB SSD drive. However understandable (BootCamp and the like) prefer it on the internal SSD. I have enough space so I should be fine but you did not misunderstand me. Smile

I keep following this site to see if there is any progress on the RX 6000 series in MacOS. Hopefully it will be supported fast (eager to buy the Razer Core X AND the RX 6700). No use buying the Razer Core X, letting the warranty expire and then buy a graphics cards.

ReplyQuote
 of  2