2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35]  

of  9
  RSS

andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Special thanks go out to @itsage for finding the solution to getting this working properly.  Adding my successful build using his method but changing a few things that didn't work for my specific setup.

System specs:

2020 MacBook Pro Core i5-1038NG7, Iris Plus iGPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Installation Steps:

• MacOS
  1. Plug and Play.
  2. Profit.

• Windows 10
  1. Disconnect eGPU
  2. Use Bootcamp assistant to install Windows 10 1903 V1 with the iso downloaded from here:  https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
  3. I recommend using Windows 10 Pro if you can.  It has the Group Policy Editor built in (gpedit.msc) with which you can disable automatic Windows updates.
  4. As soon as installation is complete and you land on the Windows 10 desktop for the first time, you'll need to run gpedit.msc to disable automatic Windows updates.
  5. On the Local Group Policy Editor windows, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Click on Configure Automatic Updates.  Click on Edit policy setting to open the Configure Automatic Updates dialog.  On the Configure Automatic Updates dialog, select Enabled in the left pane, in the Options section click on the Configure Automatic Updating Combo Box and in the dropdown list select Notify for download and notify for install.  If followed correctly, this will stop automatic installation of Windows Updates and only notify you that there are updates to install, which of course you don't want to do.
    Run gpedit.msc
    Configure Windows Updates Group Policy Editor
    Configure Windows 10 Automatic Updates

6. Now you can install the Bootcamp PKG which should already be open and ready for installation.
  7. Reboot
  8. Download the latest official AMD Adrenalin driver installation package.
  9. Download the latest version of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  10. Reboot into Safe Mode
  11. Go to your device manager.  Disable the FaceTime Camera.  Disable Intel Iris Plus Graphics.  Click "View" and select "Devices by Connection".  Scroll down and disable the bottom three PCI Express Root Ports.  **Note** -- This will not disable these ports, but it will disable the Thunderbolt 3 connection to them.  USB functionality will be unaffected.
  12. Go to where you downloaded the DDU application and double-click on it.  This will extract DDU into its own folder.  Go to that folder and double-click Display Driver Uninstaller.  When the settings dialog appears, enable EVERY OPTION under AMD and Nvidia.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, enable "Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update" at the bottom.
    DDUOptions

13. In "Select Device Type" drop-down, select GPU
  14. In "Select Device" drop-down, select Nvidia.
  15. Select "Clean and DO NOT Restart".  Once complete, don't exit out of DDU.
  16. In "Select Device" drop-down, select AMD.
  17. Select "Clean and Restart".
  18. Once you are back at the desktop following your restart, NOW connect your eGPU to the port CLOSEST TO THE TAB KEY.  Windows will start installing your device with multiple bells and whistles.
  19. Go to where you downloaded the official AMD Adrenalin driver installation package and double-click "setup".  This will start the AMD driver installation and will detect your configuration.  Once your configuration is detected, there will be an "Additional Options" drop-down where you'll need to enable the "Factory Reset" option.  Proceed with the install.  Your system will reboot, but keep the eGPU connected.  Once back at the desktop, the AMD driver installation will automatically continue.  Once the driver installation completes your external display should have activated and you should be up and running.
  20. Cold plug seems to work best, hot plug is spotty for me, but all should work as expected and no need for any EFI alterations or custom bootloaders.
  21. You'll probably want to go into Windows settings and tweak your display settings to your liking, but make sure that your external display is set as the primary display so that it uses the eGPU for hardware acceleration.
  22. OPTIONAL---  You can re-enable the FaceTime Camera and Iris Plus Graphics at this point, but I'd recommend doing it while in safe mode, then rebooting.
  23. OPTIONAL---  If you prefer, you can update your Windows 10 build to the latest version known to support eGPU's with relative ease, OS Build 18362.295 here, just BE SURE to download the correct version for your OS.
  24. OPTIONAL--- For me, build 2004 does not solve the code 12 problem out of the box, but I was able to make it work with the pci.sys swap procedure I posted here.

Benchmarks:

Vega 56 LuxBall Vega 56 Neumann Vega 56 Hotel Lobby
VLuxball
VNeumann
VHotelLobby
Iris Plus LuxBall Iris Plus Neumann Iris Plus Hotel Lobby
ILuxball
INeumann
IHotelLobby

• Unigine Heaven

MacOS Internal Display MacOS External Display Windows Internal Display Windows External Display
MHeavenInternal
MHeavenExternal
WHeavenInternal
WHeavenExternal

• Unigine Valley

MacOS Internal Display MacOS External Display Windows Internal Display Windows External Display
MValleyInternal
MValleyExternal
WValleyInternal
WValleyExternal

• Unigine Superposition
Windows Internal Display Windows External Display    
SuperpositionInternal
SuperpositionExternal

Comments:

Rebooting from Windows into MacOS can be done while in clamshell mode without opening the MacBook Pro.  This is NOT the case when rebooting from MacOS into Windows.  You'll need to open the laptop and log into Windows from there UNLESS you set up Windows to automatically log you on at boot.  If you do that, you can reboot from/into either OS without ever having to open the Macbook Pro.  This my primary use case, so I have no desire for a third-party bootloader which would require input at boot.

Another observation I've made is that if you're running Windows in Bootcamp with the internal display open and iGPU active and you go into clamshell mode, Windows tends to run a little choppy as if it isn't fully hardware accelerated, despite benchmarks and games being fully accelerated.  This is temporary, until the iGPU manages to hand off to the eGPU.  If you're impatient, a reboot while in clamshell mode solves the choppiness immediately.

I hope this helps someone out.  

Cheers.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

Joshuan_Flores, nando4, jonodavis and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

It is worth noting that this setup works very well for high-refresh gaming on Windows in 1080p with all but the most recent AAA games.  In fact, as evidenced by benchmarks, loop-back to the internal display in Windows Valley and Heaven Benchmarks performed better than the same benchmarks and identical eGPU on a 2020 MacBook Air i5 using an EXTERNAL display.  Also worth noting is that the notoriously poor performance of OpenGL on AMD hardware hasn't improved much, if at all, but that's not a big deal to me since I'm using the eGPU mainly for Windows games anyway.

Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

Nice work Andy, good to get another well-documented positive result. I am leaning more and more towards just selling my RTX and getting an AMD card.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@jonodavis, I don't think I've seen any reports of anyone with a Turing card having success with these 10th gen Intel MBP's or MBA's.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@jonodavis, on all previous models of Macbook RTX cards have been way easier to get running in Bootcamp than AMD so bear that in mind before selling.

Still feel actually using a boot loader would be easier, having to disable the iGPU is crackers talk.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Still feel actually using a boot loader would be easier, having to disable the iGPU is crackers talk

Disabling the iGPU is what worked for me to get AMD Adrenalin to successfully install.  It's fully re-enabled now and running without any issues and without the need for a 3rd party bootloader.  Call me a cracker if it makes you feel better, but I prefer to not use additional software, hacks or tweaks when they simply aren't needed.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@andygev35, a bootloader is nothing to fear and means you jump through less hoops to get things working. I didn't call you a cracker, I said disabling the iGPU was crackers, especially for anyone with a set up like my own who rely on the iGPU at all times. You are doing far more tweaks to your system with your decision to not use a bootloader, each to their own, but this looks over complicated for no real benefit.

---

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

a bootloader is nothing to fear and means you jump through less hoops to get things working

Fear has nothing to do with me not wanting a bootloader.  I use the MBP in clamshell mode most of the time, unless I'm travelling.  A bootloader won't output to an external display connected to the eGPU, so I'd need to take the MBP out of the stand and open it up every time I boot to make the desired selections on the bootloader screen.  The way I have things set up now, I can boot to either OS from either OS without ever opening the MBP.  While it may be somewhat complicated to get set up, the benefit is a seamless experience once it is.  But as you said, to each their own.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@andygev35, ahhhh now that makes sense, apologies if I missed where you mentioned that elsewhere.

Good to see you have it working the way you want it.

---

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

apologies if I missed where you mentioned that elsewhere

Come to think of it, the only place I mentioned it was in my previous build...  I'll add it to the OP, thanks.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
 of  9