2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35]  

of  10
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tsakal, Apple Boot Camp software updates should be fine. I've done it without issues. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Dana Alexander Gray
(@dana_alexander_gray)

I can confirm this method works with a 2020 13" MBP i7 2.30 GHz using a RX 580 in OWC's Helios FX 650 enclosure. Additionally, Windows is running on an external SSD using the Virtual Box method outlined here. One important change however, when formatting the SSD, don't use MBR. Use a GUID partition map and then enable EFI in Virtual Box. In Apple Recovery, turn off secure boot and enable booting from external drives.

I did hit a peculiar snag. Windows didn't seem to want to use the eGPU until after I booted in safe mode to re-enabled Intel graphics. I had thought I would leave Intel Iris Plus disabled for safety sake, but the system was unusable.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Gourmetfilet
(@gourmetfilet)

Tried so many builds with my 2020 macbook pro 13". Same model as OP's. This is the only one that worked!!! Thanks so much. Just waiting on the GTAV download to test it out. Im using RX580.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

I'm glad it worked for you.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gourmetfilet
(@gourmetfilet)

this build is still working great, no issues since it was set up and is handling everything ive thrown at it. Just a quick note, i wanted the webcam so i enabled that and nothing negative happened. so it seems you can still have your internal webcam/facetime hd cam on once everything is set up.

ReplyQuote
 of  10