2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35]  

of  3
  RSS

roddy
(@roddy)

@jonodavis, I just got a GTX 970 to work with 2020 13" MBP w/ 10th gen on a Razer Core X. I ended up doing a lot of work to make it run, but finally some results. Yesterday I essentially followed this guide by @andygev35 (thanks!), but didn't have any luck.

Setup that slightly differs from OP: 

1. Installed Win10 1903 V1, updated to KB4512508. I tried a few ISOs but couldn't get any to work and ended up troubleshooting more on this one. 

2. Disabled FaceTime cam, Iris Plus Graphics, Bluetooth, all but 3rd from top root port (keeping TB3 on top right USB port)

Today I:

1. Booted into Windows

2. Hot plugged the Core X without an external display adapter attached

3. Disabled PCIe Root Port #1 - 38B8 (lost wifi) and my GPU fan speed slowed down!

4. Plugged in the external monitor to Core X and it worked

5. Re-enabled PCIe Root Port #1 - 38B8 and everything kept working

Now for some more thorough testing.  

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
Whiz_Markie
(@whiz_markie)

Firstly, love this build guide and after running into problems over the past two days, i'm excited to throw refind away for now and give this a shot. I have an RX 580 by way of an aorus gaming box. One question though: Do you think there's any way around disabling only two TB ports instead of 3?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@whiz_markie, I’ve tried with just two...  code 12 all day.  Just remember disabling them doesn’t render them unusable.  USB functionality is unaffected.  It only disables the TB connection to those ports.  I’ve even tried moving to a different port for the TB3 connection for the eGPU without success.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Whiz_Markie
(@whiz_markie)

Posted by: @andygev35

@whiz_markie, I’ve tried with just two...  code 12 all day.  Just remember disabling them doesn’t render them unusable.  USB functionality is unaffected.  It only disables the TB connection to those ports.  I’ve even tried moving to a different port for the TB3 connection for the eGPU without success.

Luckily I have the Elgato Dock for TB3, lets me daisy-chain the EGPU so I can hook up my 3 (lol) hard drives, keyboard, mouse, gigabit ethernet, wireless charger, monitor, and xbox controller all at once. 

Well, what I should really be sharing here, is that I followed your instructions word for word and was up and running with my Aorus Gigabyte Gaming Box (RX 580 8G) flawlessly. I owe you a beer! I literally set a whole day aside for this weekend where I hoped to figure it out. Thanks a ton!

Edit: With this new TB architecture change in this model, do we see anything higher than 40gbps on each side or is it now for each input? (If anyone here knows)

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Vincent
(@vincent)

@andygev35

Could you please explain this part in more details or with a photo please? I did not really get it which ports you have disabled.

Scroll down and disable the bottom three PCI Express Root Ports.  **Note** -- This will not disable these ports, but it will disable the Thunderbolt 3 connection to them.  USB functionality will be unaffected.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@vincent, if you open the device manager, click the “view” tab and click on “devices by connection”.  Then scroll down until you see four entries of PCI Express Root Ports.  Right click and disable bottom three of them leaving the top one enabled.

Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Vincent
(@vincent)

@andygev35

Thank you for your answer. But I think I am blind? But I see only 2 roots. I have a MBP 16 2019 model.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@vincent, that explains it then.  This build tutorial is for a 2020 13” MBP 4 TB3 model.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Vincent
(@vincent)

@andygev35

I see, thank you anyway. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Joshuan_Flores
(@joshuan_flores)

@andygev35, Wow 😮 great explanation, will this work on my

2020 13 Basic Specs MBP

XFX AMD 580 GTS

Razer Chroma eGPU 

really trying to set this up on boot camp but I’m going thru hell its so frustrating. 

on MacBook OS it’s plug and play but Bootcamp ugh!!!!!

help me please! 

Any builds to follow with ease.  

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
 of  3