2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35]  

of  8
  RSS

andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@joshuan_flores, the internals and pci layout are different between the base model and the upgraded model so it's doubtful that it'll work without some changes and experimentation.  Maybe if you followed a build for the 2019 MBP Base model you may have more luck.  They're virtually identical save for the keyboard.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cixocixo
(@cixocixo)

@andygev35, Im new here. And ur steps worked for me. Thank you as u have made my day!

macbook 13” 2020 1038NG7 + asus XG station pro + 5600xt

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@cixocixo, Thanks, glad it worked for you.

Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Toni Johansson
(@toni_johansson)

@Andygev35

First of all, a BIG thank you for the guide! I tried so many guides, but this one is the only one that took away Error 12. 

Unfortunately there is a but...two questions:

1. The Vega card now works, as per there are no Error 12 in the device manager. But, when playing any games, the performance is like there is NO GPU at all, tried Starcraft 2 for instance, and since my the Intel Iris is disabled as well, its was like playing on an old Pentium computer from the 90's 🙁

2. As I disable the three other PCI ports, I won't be able to use my USB C hub (where I the HDMI to my external screen is connected to), and I guess I can work around that. 

Now, what I can't do is to set the screen setup to "External Monitor Only" in Windows. I can duplicate or Extend the screen, but, and Im just assuming this, that it puts my MBP to a test in regards of performance having to display a game on both monitors?

• MBP Pro 13 2020
  • Catalina
  • i7
  • 32gb ram
  • Razer X Core
  • Vega 56

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @toni_johansson

As I disable the three other PCI ports, I won't be able to use my USB C hub

USB functionality is unaffected by disabling the PCI ports.  Your USB C hub should work just fine.  They just no longer have connection to the thunderbolt controllers.

where I the HDMI to my external screen is connected to

Your HDMI cable should NOT be connected to the USB-C Hub, it should be connected to the HDMI port on your eGPU's graphics card.  That explains why you're getting no hardware acceleration.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Toni Johansson
(@toni_johansson)

@andygev35

USB functionality is unaffected by disabling the PCI ports.  Your USB C hub should work just fine.  They just no longer have connection to the thunderbolt controllers.

But the connection from the USB C to my computer is a Thunderbolt cable.

And the HDMI is connected via the eGPU to the monitor directly. 

eGPU connected via thunderbolt to the computer. Device Manager shows that it all works OK hardware wise but I don't get the acceleration still as you say. 

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

But the connection from the USB C to my computer is a Thunderbolt cable .

A Thunderbolt 3 cable, while overkill, is still compatible with all USB-C devices even though they can't saturate the Thunderbolt 3 cable's bandwidth.

While both screens are turned on, go to windows display settings.  Set the monitors to "extend these displays". It will also help if you select "Identify" so that you know which display is which.  In the top window that shows the silhouette of both screens, make sure you have the external screen actively selected, then scroll down and check "make this my main display".  This should kick in the hardware acceleration.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Toni Johansson
(@toni_johansson)

@andygev35

I'll have to test a bit with the USB C hub I think, because it didn't give me any love Smile

However, the other part with making my monitor main screen sure hit the spot! Thank you again for the great guide! Im gonna save it till the day Apple starts supporting eGPUs better Grin

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@andygev35 @itsage 

I got my new mbp 13 2020 10th gen, but it is impossible to install windows 10 1903 or 2004 version on an external drive. After the bootcamp drivers are installed keyboard and trackpad and wifi not working and while I try to update with a usb mouse it always crashes and I get this message on a blue screen. Any suggestions are welcome. I have security to none although I tried with medium but the installation does not work, and able to boot from ext drive is on. I have also disabled SIP. 

“DRIVER VERIFIER DMA VIOLATION”"

This post was modified 1 month ago

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1038NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 65 Q70R
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tsakal, I have not tried external Windows boot volume on Apple T2 Security Macs. I'd recommend partitioning 100GB for Bootcamp then install all games and apps on the external drive.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  8