2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10  

RSS

gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)

System specs 

Acer Swift 3 SF314-57-74ET
Processor: i7-1065g7
Memory: 16GB LPDDR4-3733
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics
Windows 10

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8GB
Running on internal monitor for now

Hardware pictures 

Maybe later

Installation steps

Plug, wait until the nvidia drivers are installed automatically, play

Benchmarks

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0:

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065g7 CPU @ 1.30GHz (1497MHz) x4
GPU model:
Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 26.20.100.7372/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 26.21.14.3200 (4095MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

Comments

Benchmarking score is significantly lower than on my other devices. I will investigate why

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@gerd_fuafsljfe, When you run in loopback/internal display mode, make sure to either disable the dGPU or use Windows graphics settings to assign the correct graphics card to each app/game.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)

@itsage thanks for the hint.

But it was only a copy paste error. The Swift does not have a dGPU so that cant be the issue.

Also, it freezes completely (does not react to any input) at random times which requires a hard restart.

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I see. Something is definitely not running right. Would you be able to get an external monitor to see how it performs?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Louisoosthuizen7@gmail.com
(@louisoosthuizen7gmail-com)

@gerd_fuafsljfe, any news on this build since the lastime? I basically ordered the exact same build? Please tell me you have some good news. Only diffrence is i have the swift 5 ordered and an external 144hz monitor. 

2020 15" Acer Swift 5 (MX250) [10th, 4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)

@louisoosthuizen7gmail-com, sorry, but no good news.

The notebooks keeps freezing at random points (not sure if thats related to the razer x tho).

I thought i completely killed it when it crashed while I was setting back to factory default settings. But luckily it came back alright after a restart.

Another big concern is the loading via Thunderbolt. Its slow as ... . Like from 10% - 25% in one hour. That might also be a reason why the performance is so terrible.

Also, it was an Amazon Warehouse deal, so only god knows what whoever had it before did to the notebook. They will get it back from me too.

I hope you have more luck with your setup. The price and the weight on the acer swifts are great, but it does not seem like they had eGPU usage in mind when designing and testing them. I will be happy to hear your experiences.

ReplyQuote
Louisoosthuizen7@gmail.com
(@louisoosthuizen7gmail-com)

@gerd_fuafsljfe, Great, thanks I will keep you updated on how things are going once everything arrives. Still waiting for the GPU and the and the external razer core too arrive. I will post questions or questions to this thread if I need any advice on setting up.

2020 15" Acer Swift 5 (MX250) [10th, 4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bram
 Bram
(@bram)

@gerd_fuafsljfe, Thank you so much for sharing so far. I was actually about to purchase the Acer Swift 3 with the exact configuration you have but just in time stumped on your post. I'm worried to purchase it and it not working properly.

The charging isn't a big deal for me, but I do not want the performance to be drastically reduced when it's connected through an external display. Do you have any updates?

Specifically, if you could help me out by running "OPI Mode in Laptops" tests and sharing the result, that would be amazing:
https://egpu.io/best-laptops-external-gpu/

This post was modified 2 days ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)

Posted by: @bram

@gerd_fuafsljfe, Thank you so much for sharing so far. I was actually about to purchase the Acer Swift 3 with the exact configuration you have but just in time stumped on your post. I'm worried to purchase it and it not working properly.

The charging isn't a big deal for me, but I do not want the performance to be drastically reduced when it's connected through an external display. Do you have any updates?

No updates from my side. Since I had to send the Acer back I did not want to risk damaging it in any way.

In the meantime I had the freezing issue on my Lenovo too and found out that it is a general problem which is easily fixed ( https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/random-freezing-in-windows-10-pro-with-intel-nuci7beh-razor-core-x-gtx-2060-super/paged/2/).

I am pretty sure the lackluster performance in my test here was due to the charging. If you use the normal charging cable you should get better results. And with the 1065g7 processor you should not notice much difference between external and internal screen.

So you can try it. I am sure everyone would be happy to get more information. But I am afraid you will have issues with the cooling. I stuck with the Lenovo S740 and am very happy with that so far.

Kind regards

ReplyQuote